What's your favorite app that even Apple power users don't know about, but should?

Catamount I meant. Has iOS counterpart for syncmodes repeating transactions and account transfers

@BradG Great find on Revisions I am a avid Dropbox user and this is a great utility

Also PicaText not available on USA Apple store as well but Condense is.

1 Like

Ooh, I have a piece of software for work that litters the screen with unclosed windows… hyperdock might be just what I need to keep track!

1 Like

Recently started using ToothFairy for connecting my Bluetooth headphones in a more seamless manner.

https://c-command.com/toothfairy/

1 Like

I’m a fan of this app as well. I like being able to see the battery level in the menu bar. And to make it extra convenient, I’ve assigned a keyboard shortcut for switching my AirPods to my Mac.

One App I really like a lot is Voice Dream Reader. While the app’s interface is a bit confusing, I’ve switched to it from Pocket because I use my read-it-later services more as listen-to-it-later services. Voice Dream Reader has by far the best sounding voices with a wide variety of different ones to choose. The first premium voice is free, each additional one costs a couple of bucks. I really like “Hugh”, a British English voice. If the pronounciation of a word is not correct, there is the ability to tell the application how to pronounce it properly. (For example, it mispronounced “Xbox”. I then added an entry in the pronounciation dictionary telling the app to pronounce it as “x-box”. Also helpful for abbreviations in more technical articles like “OIS” [Optical Image Stabilization] or “HIG” [Human Interface Guidelines]…)

I really like it a lot, especially for longer articles which I would not read otherwise.

5 Likes

hey @MitchWagner I’m curious about Moom vs. Keyboard Maestro which David talks about and recently did a screencast on. This is specifically for window mgmt, restoring my layout amongst three monitors every morning when I start up my work laptop (with two external monitors).

Any thoughts there? Thanks,

Chris

I think Moom can do that. I use it to move and resize windows on command, not automatically.

Thanks. It looks like it, I DL’d it today…when I save my workspace I can record all 3 monitors.

Chris

I don’t think Keka has been mentioned yet in this thread. Keka is a versatile file archiving utility that supports formats such as 7z, Zip, Tar, Gzip, DMG, etc. I consider it the macOS equivalent of 7zip and use it daily.

https://www.keka.io/en/

2 Likes

Thank you for the Tap Forms reminder!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Just bought it to replace an older version FileMaker, that I only used for a small member administration.

1 Like

The MacUpdate page you linked to says “Tyke has been discontinued” :question:

I never liked Tyke (which never made it past its initial v1.0 release) - way too limited.

Take a look at the free menubar text app Curiota from the people who sell Curio. It’s been around for years and continues to be updated, and the dev says it’ll always be free. It doesn’t use a proprietary database so you can always get to the files (and you choose where they should reside). You can drag anything into a Curiota window - pics, messages, even files.

I used it for a couple of years, until the lack of an iOS syncing option made it increasingly untenable for me, so I simply moved all my notes to Apple Notes (which of course is not a menubar app).

2 Likes

If you’re missing tyke, may I draw your attention to SwiftText, mentioned in the very first message in this thread:

http://giraffelab.com/swifttext/

I am not missing Tyke (not interested). MacUpdate is missing Tyke.

1 Like

Viamin R-3 is in public beta

2 Likes

Cloud Outliner Pro; a great little OPML-compliant outliner that serves most people’s needs amply. Mac and iOS.

Popclip - gives you action or text transformation popovers when text is selected. Great automation menubar tool. Mac.

I’ve got it for Mac and iOS. It’s not bad, but the limitations (one day theme, one night theme, no choice of font, no attachments) sent me back to other apps. If you don’t mind those limitations, OutlineEdit just came out in a free v.2 version, with a drafts mode (save without having to name the file or put it somewhere) and some other niceties.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/outlineedit-beautiful-outliner/id878995413?mt=12

For those who are musically inclined, TonalEnergy is easily my favorite tuner and metronome app.

2 Likes