What's your favorite app that even Apple power users don't know about, but should?

Delicious Library 3 on the Mac for keeping all my books in order and Cal Paste (mentioned by Katie on MPU many times) for calendar events I have to create often (so damn useful) :blush:

Shout out as well to Songkick Concerts also. It’s a great little app that scans your music library and notifies you when one of the artists in your library has a concert in your area :blush:

1 Like

So I searched for this, which seems to be vet medication for horses :smile:

I think Calendar Paste might be what you’re recommending?

1 Like

Does OutlineEdit have an iOS app? If not, it’s not useful for me.

AppZapper because it HAS the coolest icon ever. appzap

8 Likes

Mac only. You can import/export OPML but there’s no simple sync from Mac to iOS.

+1 on Hyperdock.
The app has window snapping too, similar to Moom and Magnet.
I thought the development was dead but it was recently updated to be compatible with Mojave (v1.8).
Working like a charm.

1 Like

You don’t need to use the same OPML-file app on both platforms. There are plenty of iOS apps that can read files created in or edited by this Mac app, which, again, is free. Gift horses and all that.

hahaha yeah of course :grinning:

I love the calender app miCal. It seems feature complete to me, with good ways to copy or move existing events, quick capturing, automatically assigning colors (e. g. I have different colors for events in the office or outside), natural language etc. Especially I like the week view, which gives me much more overview than any other solution I saw in any other calendar (at least how my brain and the structure of my week work).image

Edit: talking about iOS. There is also a Mac version, but that is very weak.

2 Likes

Great thread, I just found it buried away.
Thanks to all those who provided some app ideas

Nick

2 Likes

I’m gonna try out SwiftText . Usually just use Text Edit but find it very annoying that I have to create a new document before I get into adding text. Thanks for the tip!

Yep! I, too, just spent $17 with a click of a fingerprint but your recommendation was emphatic! I loved FileMaker Pro. Databases are my idea of a good time. There is nothing out there for iOS. And I have no idea why they ever did away with AppleWorks. What a fine suite that was. I’m certain I’ll be thanking you.

Unfortunately with COVID-19 concerts are on hold. This is disastrous to music creators as they just changed the business model away from record labels to live concerts as their primary source of revenue, but many have pivoted in using this down time to creativity creating new content so they will be ready post-COVID-19

1 Like
  1. Create a new, empty document in Text Edit.
  2. Save it to the desktop
  3. Do a Get Info on it and check the Stationery pad box.

Now whenever you click on the document icon it will open Text Edit with a new, empty document. Couldn’t be faster.

7 Likes

Barrier: a KVM sofware to share the mouse and keyboard with multiple computers and operating systems. It’s basically an opensource version of synergy.

I have a windows VR gaming pc and barrier has been super useful to avoid having multiple input devices.

3 Likes

Are there windows 10 binaries already built?

1 Like

Yes, in the releases page I think. I have it working in win 10 and Big Sur beta.

Here’s the latest:
https://github.com/debauchee/barrier/releases/download/v2.3.3/BarrierSetup-2.3.3-release.exe

2 Likes

Or as I have subsequently discovered, just turn off iCloud sync for Text Edit!

Thanks! I did not know about miCal and will give it a try!