What's your favourite widget?

Widgets are coming in thick and fast now - which widgets are you loving?

(Please, please don’t use this thread to talk about delays in development)

1. I’m using Fantastical (2x2) - great that it shows the weather as well as upcoming events whilst grouping all day events so the widget isn’t filled by them
  2. The stock Batteries widget is really helpful as it shows my Apple Watch battery as well as any connected bluetooth device.
1 Like

Two of my favorites so far:

1. WaterMinder
    Shows an alert when I haven’t hydrated for a while. WaterMinder can push notifications at fixed times (9:00, 12:00, etc.) but I find it annoying and “dumb”. But the new widget is intelligent because it reminds me dynamically based on the last hydration time.

(I should probably hydrate after posting this :slight_smile:)
  2. lire
    My favorite RSS client updated to version 4 with a handful of widgets. I haven’t made up my mind yet, currently experimenting with the “Hot Links” widget that shows links that show up in multiple sources.
1 Like

Photos 2x2. It’s simple, but it is unearthing so many random pictures I absolutely love to revisit. And some really funny juxtapositions of toddlers getting into messes with my otherwise productive homescreen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m surprised to say this but I like the Siri app suggestion widget. It does a good job at knowing which apps I use and need when I’m at the gym, work, and home. I didn’t think it would be as smart as it is.

This isn’t a widget, but I love being able to stack widgets. I’ve organized many of my stacks by certain categories that I can just flip through real quick.

1 Like

My most useful widget stack (medium size, top of home screen) at the moment consists of:

• Calendars 5 (upcoming events)
  • Spark (Today view)
  • and WidgetPack widget that simply displays the title of whatever task I’m currently focused on (for time tracking)

I have a Carrot widget off-stage in the swipe over widget panel. It’s good for a quick glance, particularly as we head back into the season of variable weather here in London. I also have small size widget stack on the home screen that rotates between 4 most used shortcuts.

Other than that, I’d love it if Timeview received an update with new widgets. And I’d like to get some activity stats/graphing on my home screen but I’m a Fitbit user, and even though I can sync Fitbit stats to Apple Health, the results are pretty lacklustre (most of the sync apps I’ve found thus far only sync a couple of times a day). Can’t really justify the switch but at one point, having tried to get my head around Fitbit’s API, I was seriously eyeing a series 3 Apple Watch… :sweat_smile:

Glimpse 2 might prove to be a decent workaround; I hear there’s an update that might allow for display of things like Fitbit’s web dashboard…

Curious to see how much of this will stick after the initial interest in widgets matures. I have lots of excitement at the moment, but time will tell…

2 Likes