Where do we stand on 1Password 7 and the subscription?

After buying and upgrading 1Password since 2009, I took my time before switching to the subscription option. The tipping point to subscribe came when the purchased app wouldn’t accept some large pdfs I’d saved on my Mac. The maximum attachment size in local vaults is 5MB, but 1Password.com accounts allow you to attach and sync documents up to 2GB in size.

1P users can be a devoted bunch. Earlier this year someone wrote a poem about the app and posted it to the 1P forum.

1 Like

To be fair, I can’t tell if the Family accounts can have a 2GB file, seems to only be business accounts. Although I currently have a 20MB file in there so definitely more than 5 now. Doesn’t matter though, you only get a 1GB quota on family plans.

I subscribe to 1Password family and use some attachments but sparingly. I prefer an encrypted ZIP file with the password in 1Password, of course.

1 Like

Nice idea. I’ve been wondering what to do with sensitive files, that seems a low-barrier system.

That’s a great way to look at it.

Of course, Apple themselves were supposed to deploy it company wide to all their employees. This certainly says a lot about how much Apple values the service.

1 Like

I wonder if that actually happened. I wouldn’t expect any press release on it, but company wide is pretty far to keep secret that everybody is using it.

I’m a happy 1Password subscriber, but I understand and concur with the need to check how much money you’re forking over monthly and/or annually and whether you’re getting good value.

One problem I’d face if I wanted to switch would be two-factor authentication, which I’ve been using 1Password for exclusively. I’d need to check if another service would be able to transfer over those 2FA credentials, of if I’d need to disable and then re-enable 2FA for each site where I’ve used it.

Good point. Anyway, it’s working for me for now, and the price is OK for the use and value I get out of it.

1 Like

I also use Enpass and I really like it. Now, I’m still using version 5 which is the prior release. Its encryption, syncing, and autofill features have worked great in a Mac running High Sierra and iOS devices running iOS 12.

Last December, the current version, Enpass 6, was released. The Enpass team rewrote the program, in part, to have the capability to have multiple password vaults (like 1Password). Like I said, I’m not on version 6 yet, but it seemed like the new version had a bit of a rough start. However, there have been a number of updates throughout this year and it seems like the developer has the program back to the point where it’s features match the prior version. In fact, it’s reaching the point where I’m considering updating from 5 to 6.

I use my password manager almost exclusively for storing passwords. I’m not interested in storing documents, credit cards, drivers licenses, etc. (although it is possible). While it may not be as mature as 1Password, I do think Enpass is worth considering when evaluating password managers. And best of all, no subscriptions!

I use Codebook, which was named Strip a few years ago. Check it out.
https://www.zetetic.net/codebook/

I don’t understand the negativity regarding subscriptions, if they are reasonable. If I see my money going to good support and continued development, I’m happy. After all, did the company you work for pay you once and say, “OK. We expect you to work for the rest of your life for that.”?

Everyone has their own reasoning. Personally I like the latest operating system, so having ongoing development supporting this is good for me; hence subscriptions are ok. It also highlights how much I spend on apps, which could be good or bad…

My wife is quite happy not upgrading her OS, so a pay-once model is far more sensible for an app that has no service component. If her 5 year old software works fine, why should she still be paying for it?

1 Like

I think @GraemeS gave you a good answer, everyone has their own reasoning. I personally am not a fan of subscription pricing at all. Feel free to read my rant on TextExpander in another thread for some of my reasoning.

I agree with GraemeS… I just went to the subscription form of 1Password and I find it quite complicated, more so than 1Password 6. I also have 2 vaults (which didn’t have the same number of items) If I change something in one vault it doesn’t show in the second vault so I have to repeat the corrections in the second vault. Not all of the sign-ins work with all the financial institutions so I have to copy/paste and that is annoying. I will use it for awhile and then make a decision regarding keeping it or not. I decided that I would do it at this time because I have a lot going on right now and what with Catalina coming out sometime before Christmas, I thought it would be better to use the subscription The one thing that really bothered me was that they deleted my trash which I sometimes have to refer to periodically now I can’t because it is GONE.

Exactly. My objection to subscriptions is that they make software a fixed cost. I’m a freelance project manager - my income goes up and down as does my need for certain types of application. In the subscription model, I have to may for the applications whether I have the income to cover them or not, and the need to use them or not. While it is possible to cancel and then recreate subs as circumstances change, that in itself is a burden.

If I buy as a one-time purchase, I can purchase when there are funds and use thereafter. Similarly, I can purchase paid upgrades when possible.

I understand the benefits of subs, but they’re not for me.

That’s all before I get into apps that I’ve already paid for that move to subs and remove features. Or apps that promise updates for subscribers and then don’t deliver.

Enpass is moving to a subscription model too.
https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/11/15/enpass-moves-to-a-subscription-model/

1 Like

I use Lastpass and find it ok, I was going to move to 1Password, but, well time passed. 12$ a year and it works ok. I don’t really use it on ios though.

I stayed on version 6.

I like 1Password OK, but it has enough quirks to bug me, were I to move to subscription.

Curses! No issue for current (paid) users, they say (free indefinite subscription), but it’ll reduce Enpass attractiveness to new users, I think. And they will have ti make some UX improvements to win substantial business, I think

1 Like