Where is Webb (JWST)?

This is OT – but no doubt someone on the team is using a Mac.

The James Webb Space Telescope launched successfully today – and the solar array deployed. So far so good. If successful, the results might prove spectacular.

To follow the journey to the L2 point – arriving in ~30 days.

15 Likes

Ah, that’s fantastic. Thanks for sharing! So excited about the JWST. I can’t quite believe it’s actually launched an en route.

2 Likes

A telescope reminiscent of Isaac Newton’s telescope , launched on Newton’s birthday. Very cool!

4 Likes

I watched the coverage this morning and am excited JWST finally launched. Thanks for sharing this resource, so cool!

1 Like

I was so nervous at launch

My brother is working on this project. He’s worked on it for more than a decade. We are very proud of him!

I’m pretty sure my brother, who is an engineer, uses Windows at work.

However, he and his family have a MacBook Air and multiple iPads and iPhones, so we’re on-topic!

6 Likes

Some interesting comparisons between the JWST and the Hubble:

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/comparisonWebbVsHubble.html

2 Likes

So cool! Thanks for sharing.

Having a brother working on JWST is like six degrees of separation from the Big Bang. Very cool.

3 Likes

It is such a cool undertaking. The planning and trajectory is needing very little correction. Which should extend the life of the mission.

1 Like

As of 7 January the sunshield has been fully deployed, the secondary mirror deployed, and a number of other deployments completed. The next three days will be critical because the final mirror deployments will occur then. After that, a huge portion of the risk will be passed and the JWST can continue sailing toward L2.

4 Likes

Update 8 January:

Onward to L2 and the beginning of time :grinning:

4 Likes