Which is your primary browser on the Mac?

As a web developer, Chrome. The DevTools are the best and its not even close. The extensions are the best as well. I tend to only install extensions with the source code available on GitHub or GitLab so I can see what’s in it.

I never got on with Safari. Lack of favicons was a major dealbreaker for me. Lack of extensions as well. Gmail and Google Apps just work in Chrome.

As for why Chrome works best for most sites:

Apple makes arbitrary rules for developers that do not follow standard web guidelines. In our circle of devs, there are tons of articles that say Safari is the new IE and they’re not wrong. It is obvious to me Apple cares little about people making web apps and websites and more about their App Stores. I don’t blame them but it isn’t good UX.

1 Like

Chrome for me. Coming over from windows once upon a time, I started off with Firefox on the Mac. Then chrome became a thing, and it was faster than Firefox, so eventually I dropped Firefox altogether. I’ve never really tried safari on the Mac properly, even though I use it exclusively on my phone. Previously it was because I used a lot of extensions… Now not so much perhaps, but then again I do have a lot of extensions installed, many of which are just humming in the background providing features and functionality that I use naturally and don’t even notice anymore - eg. Session buddy has been very helpful.

I use Safari: it’s fast, it’s integrated and efficient, and I’m lazy. :roll_eyes:
I keep Chrome around for the odd time that Flash raises its ugly head, and I play around with OmniWeb occasionally but, for everything else, Safari delivers.

I use Safari 99% of the time. However, I do have Chrome installed and I’ll fire it up to use Google Maps. I find Google Maps runs much more smoothly in Chrome than it does in Safari. Also, because I use the Ghostery plugin for Safari but not Chrome, I’ll switch to Chrome if Ghostery breaks a website that I really want to see (yes, I could just turn off Ghostery in Safari, but it’s easier to switch to Chrome and I don’t have to worry about turning it back on).

How is Safari integration with DevonThink better than Chrome? I find the popup that says “Do you want to open this page in DevonThink Pro Office app” extremely annoying. Have you found a way to kill that?

I’ve used Safari Technical Preview as my primary for the last few versions (Apple releases a new version every few weeks; I’ve had it set as my default since favicons were added to tabs). It has been stable and I like its energy efficiency compared to Chrome (my previous daily driver). Not a huge Extensions user but have Duck Duck Go, 1Pass and other essentials. Definitely not the selection on Chrome but not a big loss for me at least.

Safari TP doesn’t “feel” quite as snappy as Chrome despite Apple’s claims of the fastest JavaScript engine. Rendering HTML is just as important to browser responsiveness as JavaScript execution speed. Wander if Chrome also does all kinds of pre-loading in the background, which would help explain some of its memory usage and power inefficiency.

Safari TP needs to a better way to handle having lots of tabs open. Chrome keeps the favicon visible even in a very narrow browser window (up to a point, then it starts hiding tabs):
25%20PM

Safari TP hides the icons for tabs on the left and, worse, makes tabs different widths when things get crowded even though tabs to the right have plenty of room:
26%20PM

To make things even more frustrating, tabs sometimes become unclickable when they get into this compressed state. The only way to access them is via ⌃Tab. Argh. With each new TP release I look for this to be improved but not yet.

I also sorely miss the Duplicate menu item available in Chrome via right-clicking on a tab. I use this constantly and need to figure out some Keyboard Maestro workaround (e.g. shortcut key to move focus to address bar and then ⌘ + :leftwards_arrow_with_hook: to send current URL to a new tab…although I don’t like how it doesn’t open next to the current tab :confused:) but would be nice if this was just there.

2 Likes

I seem to have settled on using Safari as my primary browser, and switching to Chrome when I need some particular extension. I do not like living the multi-browser lifestyle and wish Safari had better extension support.

1 Like

I use Safari because, in my experience, it is faster loading websites. I also like the user interface. It is consistent with the Apple experience. I find the settings/preferences in Chrome and Brave to be tedious and time consuming. I also use iCloud keychain in combination with 1Password. I use Chrome, Brave, and Firefox on occasion, but my go to browser is Safari.

I used Chrome for many years but over the last 6 months have moved across to Safari. This was mainly for two reasons - Chrome used too much memory and CPU and secondly integration with my iPhone and iPad.

FYI Chrome has always had bookmark and browser sync for iOS, although unlike with Safari closing a synced tab on iOS doesn’t close the tab on the Mac.

I use Brave on the Mac - it’s Google’s Chromium engine (also used by Microsoft’s browser as well as Opera and Vivaldi) with Google’s tracking code ripped out, and with ad-blocking built in (plus the ability to use hundreds of useful extensions that have no equivalent on Safari). I find it almost always faster than Safari, though, like Chrome, it can be a RAM hog. (But I have 40Gb RAM, and usually have a dozen tabs open at any given time, and it’s not a problem.)

Brave on iOS has sync - it’s a little more primitive on iOS, but it’s still in development.

I just cannot make my mind up when it comes to browsers for my MacBook. So, I’ve decided to use several. I currently have the following installed;
Safari
Microsoft Edge Beta
Chrome
Puffin Browser
Firefox

I use them all with Choosy and have done for a month or so now and wish I’d done it sooner!
I have rules for certain sites and apps and everything else pops up with a choice of what browser to use.
Choosy also has browser extensions to allow you to swap a site to another browser.

Brave for the security and privacy features.

Privacy. Firefox flushes cookies every time I close the browser.

1 Like

I am off social media, including LinkedIn. That is another story though. I stay with Safari and like so many use Chrome for one or two special tasks. I don’t need extensions. It is the native browser and I assume designed to integrate well. I find it does though my use is specifc and not very demanding technically I don’t think?

I have Cookie app flush cookies from all browsers ever 45 minutes. And it also eliminates persistent Flash cookies, HTML5 databases, localStorage, IndexedDB as well as browser history and caches if desired. (Originally mentioned this summer, but I’m continuing to use Brave as my main browser.)

I use Safari a lot, but have switched to Brave for many uses. Very fast & no ads. Runs without all the tracking overhead of Chrome. Runs Google apps & extensions just like Chrome … EXCEPT can not run Google Meet/Hangouts with audio (Video shows but my mic won’t work.).

1 Like

Easier to share open windows and favorites among devices.

edited to add Safari, somehow I lost that.

2 Likes

I use Safari everywhere except at work due to the use of Google Drive/Docs/etc.

1 Like

Safari - I have a really plain use case, non need for specific features and don’t use extensions (just 1P, DT and 1Blocker). I like the integration in the Apple ecosystem and use some of the features quite heavily: iCloud tabs and reading list mainly.
I keep Brave (which I use on Windows PC at work) as a backup if something does not work properly.

I use Safari for personal stuff, Chrome for work stuff in Google Docs. Every so often I move over to Chrome thinking I’m going to use just one browser, but I always end up coming back to Safari.