Which MacBook Pro 2019 hub/dock do you recommend?

My MacBook Pro 15" from mid 2015 is dying, so my boss (“finally”) ordered a (custom) MacBook Pro 2019 which hopefully arrives in a couple of weeks. This means I’ll have to migrate from USB-A to USB-C and maybe some other ports as well.

I currently use:

• 1x mini-DisplayPort (for first external monitor)
  • 1x HDMI (for second external monitor)
  • 1x Thunderbolt (for Ethernet adapter)
  • 2x USB-A:
    • 1x for several hardware reference boards (data cables are all USB-A)
    • 1x iPhone (could be USB-C to Lightning)

Which hub/dock would you recommend me?

I’m using the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 dock. Basically because it was in the online Apple store at the time I ordered it. That was convenient. And I saw it as a sort of seal of approval by Apple (not sure if that’s the case though). And this one offered enough power for the MBP (15"), so I could do with one cable to the computer.

It works fine. And actually, apart from the number of ports and/or the placing of the ports on the device I don’t think there’s much difference between the vendors.

I haven’t compared this one to others. But as I said, the Belkin seems to do its job pretty well.

I have two of the CalDigit TS3 Plus docks and they have both worked flawlessly for several years for me. Not sure what your budget is, but if you can swing it I would not look at anything else.

https://www.caldigit.com/ts3-plus/

3 Likes

I also have two, and I also like them.

1 Like

Which one are you getting, the 13" or the 16". The difference, in this case, may be important because the 16" can require more power than most TB3 docks can deliver. (I have a 16" MBP and use my older Belkin Thunderbolt 3 dock with it and it works just fine, but under heavy load, the system will slowly drain battery.)

I will get the 16” model.

Oh, I will need one more USB-A port than posted above. I’m currently working from home (due to the Corona Crisis) using my personal wireless keyboard, but at work I have a wired keyboard with a USB-A connector.

This is the only one that I’m aware of that puts out more than 85W: https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udz/ but I have not done an exhaustive search. I find that 85W is fine for me except under the highest GPU+CPU loads.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I’m surprised that charging is a feature of docks/hubs. I was planning to use the Apple charger for that.

Maybe what I have in mind is more a dongle than a dock/hub? (Not sure about terminology)

What I’m looking for is something not too expensive which allows me to use all my current hardware, without buying too many new cables/dongles.

I would prefer to use the same thing at home and at work, so easy to transfer would be nice. It should offer the superset of these two sets:

At home I need:

• 1x mini DisplayPort
  • 1x USB-A (for reference board)
  • 1x USB-A/C (for iPhone)

At work I need:

• 2x HDMI
  • 2x USB-A (for reference board and keyboard)
  • 1x USB-A/C (for iPhone)
  • 1x Ethernet

Tips?

Add my name to the list recommending the CalDigit TS3 dock. Regardless, I recommend if you’re going to get a MacBook Pro, spend the money on a Thunderbolt 3 Dock. Don’t skimp-out and get USB-C.

3 Likes

Same here, they are flawless.

My IT contact suggested this one for at work:

Seems OK, until I realised I don’t need 2x HDMI, but 2x DVI…

(but that can probably be solved by using HDMI-DVI cables instead of my current DVI-DVI cables)

If that has all of the ports that you need and you’re not wanting a power source, that looks great!

1 Like