Whisper + Hazel

Anyone have any idea how to integrate Whisper transcription with Hazel? What I’d love to have happen is:

1. File (audio or video) arrives in folder
  2. Whisper transcription is run.
  3. File exported as .txt in original folder

Thanks!

I recall installing the original Whisper as a command line tool, before the application known as MacWhisper was available. It was not straightforward but the result was a terminal command to do the transcription.

As I understand it, MacWhisper is basically a GUI to access the features of that original engine. I don’t know if it is exposed intentionally, but I would expect the engine is in there somewhere.

Gotcha - thank you for that reply. I’m by no means a Terminal wizard - and I was really just hoping that there was an “easy” button through Shortcuts. No such luck!

Are you using MacWhisper? Have you tried having open the audio file with MacWhisper?

Not sure what I was thinking. Have you tried using Hazel to open an audio file with MacWhisper?

This doesn’t answer your question today, but the MacWhisper dev confirmed he has this kind of automation on his roadmap. I don’t know if it would be a simplified CLI Hazel could run or more Mac-app-like folder watching.

1 Like

This is a really good idea. It does an effective job of getting one transcribed without any type of save/export. If a second file is dropped in there before saving - it will not run and will ask if I want to discard the original file.

Transparently - wouldn’t really care if it was in Hazel or not, just want the functionality! Would love for it to be something exposed to Shortcuts!

1 Like