Who needs 2FA anyway? Apple stop it please šŸ¤£

No comments (seriously, donā€™t know what to say about this guy) :rofl:

The problem with forcing the accounts is that for many developers that account is separate - meaning itā€™s not the primary account and therefore you donā€™t have a way to enable 2FA.

I have multiple Apple IDs, thankfully I can put the developer account on my test iPhone - but that will break a number of other things as a consequence. I donā€™t want to be forced to purchase a device just for 2FA, but if I canā€™t work around things I may have to. Letā€™s hope the March event has some iPod Touch announcements!

2 Likes

Iā€™m also worried about this.

I use 2FA for my personal Apple ID, but I have multiple Apple Developer IDs that donā€™t have 2FA enabled. For me it would be fine if Apple added TOTP instead of requiring an iOS/macOS device.

It looks like Kyle Seth Gray has a workaround, which isnā€™t the simplest but seems to work:

2 Likes

Not an Apple Developer but seriously, I just donā€™t get 2FA as a general thing. The theory is nice bu tin practice itā€™s a PITA to use. I donā€™t agree that it offers enough added security to warrant the hassles.

MFA done right isnā€™t much of a hassle at all and is exceedingly valuable (but not a panacea) as a means of increasing overall security. What Apple does for MFA isā€¦ well, baffling beyond belief, but thatā€™s in line with pretty much everything they try to do that involves online services.

Iā€™m in the process of rolling out Duoā€™s MFA in a trial and itā€™s almost a pleasure to use. It helps that I have an Apple Watch and can acknowledge the Duo Push prompt using it :slight_smile: