Who uses a VPN on their phone, 24/7?

Subscribed to ExpressVPN yesterday, and have it set-up on my Mac Mini home server.
Obviously allows for the VPN to be run on up to 5 devices, which then includes iPads/iPhones etc.

I occasionally would turn on my previous VPN client, those few times I come across a video in my Feedly “feed” – usually a news item, or sports’ event highlight, that is area-restricted. But apart from this, and the “public wifi in a coffee shop/airport/hotel scenario” – is there any other reason to have it on permanently?

Surely nobody runs a VPN on their mobile as the “default” connectivity approach? Or are there use cases for that?

Curious to hear if I understand the normal approach correctly, and if running the VPN is more of the exception to the rule?

1 Like

I run ExpressVPN pretty much as you described. I see no reason to run it when I’m at home or in the office.

Depends how creepy your ISP is.

1 Like

I use ProtonVPN on my Mac, Ipad & iPhone.

2 Likes

I don’t run 24/7, especially when using financial websites/apps. VPN or DoH is a necessary if I want to access reddit, vimeo, streamable, subscene, 4chan on iOS because my country blocks those sites. In mac, I can just edit /etc/hosts

My thoughts, for what they’re worth …

I used to be a serious VPN users on public wifi, especially if it was open. But in the last couple years I worry about it a lot less. I’m guessing that nearly everything on the phone that’s connecting to some back-end services is using SSL? At least I’d assume all the major apps? But also, I haven’t been too many places in the last 18 months. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My thoughts, for what they’re worth, align closely with yours. If it’s not safe to do without a VPN it’s not safe to do with one. (Work VPNs excepted)

2 Likes

I started using Mulvad VPN 24/7 and Adblock Pro on my iPhone. It really makes the experience a lot cleaner.

1 Like

In the US, ISPs and mobile carriers are allowed to track where you go online and sell the data to third parties, and using a VPN full time is the only way to avoid it

2 Likes

I don’t use it all the time on desktop because I am always signed into with apps and that sends M365 sentinel/defender into a frenzy and I get a call from IT Sec.

I run ProtonVPN full time on the phone, home or away. It works pretty well. I don’t search with Google (use duckduckgo) and I know that will force all sorts of captchas on you but I don’t run into issues with any other site.

1 Like

What about battery life if you do run VPN 24/7?

I run a VPN 24/7 on my iPhone and have done for a number of years. And my iPad. I don’t run one on my Mac because it causes problems with work things.

I used to use Trust.Zone, but switched to NordVPN last year which is a better user experience (good app).

I use ExpressVPN. Its use does not show up on list in the Battery settings app as using any energy.

I need it to pretend i am in another country for access into financial stuff.

I’ve not noticed much battery drain, but I don’t actually use my phone that much (screen time is usually less than 2hrs a day). My iPhone 14 Pro usually only needs charging once every 2 days with VPN switched on continuously.

My iPad Pro 12 inch is usually used for over 8 hours a day and needs charging once a day ish with VPN permanently on.

I run Proton VPN on all my devices

Adguard DNS and VPN… 20 characters

I use cloud flare 1.1.1.1.
Seems like every 4-5 months I have to reset it but otherwise I never think about it. So I’m not sure I’m really getting any benefits, but it’s a nice placebo at least.

AFAIK the 1.1.1.1 app isn’t a full VPN, it just uses a VPN-like tunnel for DNS queries. That can prevent DNS poisoning on public WiFi but doesn’t keep your browsing private or keep your ISP or MC from recording and selling your browsing history.

1 Like