Hi guys, I have been hearing a lot about DevonThink since I started listening to MPU and lurking in this forum. The apps MPU and this forum have recommended have been more than amazing for my workflows which is why I am asking this.
Why Devonthink? I’m sure you guys definitely have great reasons to use and love it and I want to hear from you to make an informed decision. Although, they allow you to choose from multiple storage options (iCloud, Dropbox, local disk, etc.), but it also costs a lot right? $200 for mac only version (can only use on two machines!!), plus $40 for the iOS version. Not sure if there’s something else?
Here come the questions:
- Is that worth the money?
- Do they allow unlimited storage if I use their cloud service?
- How frequently do they release major versions? Do I pay for the upgrade or is it free?
- If I want to keep using the old version, how would that work, since the old app version might be removed from the app store and I might not be able to reinstall it in case my phone/laptop crashes?
- How does it compare to Evernote? Evernote offers the best in class web clipper…do they have a good clipper?
- How is the search?
- Is the app slow/bloated?
- FINALLY, how do you use it? What is the size of your database in it? What do you store in it and how do you backup?