Why/How to Use the Daily Note?

It’s my “am working on” and “have done” list. I also use it as an inbox and for meeting notes.

Since I’m not a fan either of Obsidian or Craft, I replicated this in Drafts with shortcuts. Get extracted events and reminders for today. Since Shortcuts is coming to macOS, I’m now more interested to have multi-platform solution, which before was mostly possible only in Drafts.

I was, usually along project and division lines but I’m reconsidering. I may try to create documents with sub-pages/sub-cards in Craft and not use folders. This makes linking easier.

1 Like

@grs If you don’t mind my asking, can you give me an example of areas? I originally had a parent folder–WORK and sub-folders for each project. If I go with just using document for projects, I’m not sure what folders/areas? I’d use.

Interstitial journaling. In my opinion, the implementation of the Daily Notes Page in Roam Research (and Logseq for that matter) is one of its killer features. Nearly everything starts off on the DNP.

1 Like

I don’t mind at all. I use Craft for personal project management so some of my areas are: house, financial, health, personal, technology, travel. If you’re responsible for departments or divisions, those might be natural areas for you. Or whatever your projects are related to could be your areas. I’m pretty sure I started using areas of responsibility when I learned GTD, and I’ve always found it to be a useful method for categorizing projects. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Thanks! 20 characters

Please share your obsidian “modified on this date” dataview snippet?

1 Like
LIST
FROM "" 
WHERE date({{date-1d:YYYY-MM-DD}}T23:59) - file.mtime <= dur(24 hours) and date({{date-1d:YYYY-MM-DD}}T23:59) - file.mtime > dur(0 hours)
SORT file.mtime asc

That goes in a daily note template, and I think it requires the Periodic Notes plugin to expand the date math for each day.

It gets the notes modified yesterday, which I then copy and paste into the daily note for the day before. A bit tedious but it creates a hardcoded log.

To make a softcoded list for the date of the current note, remove the two -1ds.

1 Like

I’ve been a Roam user and then an Obsidian/Noteplan3 user. Long before those, I was following the Interstitial Journaling technique in Bear anyway and would transfer those to my Day One journal at the end of the day.

What I like with Craft is:

1. The ability to use it for bullet journaling and create todos on the fly instead of switching between Craft and Things3
  2. I use the calendar extensively and Craft allows me to create notes for each event in my calendar ala Agenda (these show up on each daily note page)
  3. Now comes the best part - at the end of the working day I can click the Day One button in Craft and have my entire daily note go to my journal - with the daily note and all the meeting notes from that day which is a huge timesaver for my chronicling

Also, Day one shows todos (reads markdown) so at a glance, I am able to see how many did I get done that day and how many are still pending. This is helpful as Craft currently does not have a single task pane to see all overdue todos (I have been in touch with Viktor at Craft who said this feature is coming soon).

Hope this helps.

I switched from Notion to NotePlan just for the daily notes feature.

I jot down all the important things that happened during a day or things I plan to do in the day’s notes.

For example, I would note something like “Paid [[ADT]] $200”.

Since it has automatic bi-directional linking, when I click on the ADT link, it takes me to that particular note and I can see a reference of today’s date and my text. It is so convenient.

2 Likes

Blockquote
Question for Craft users… I state ‘Daily Notes / Calendar’ section above as the two came in a single bundle. However (and if I understand this correctly) if I use the Calendar functionality to create a Meeting Note, it does not go into my Daily Note as such. Is that correct? How are others using that feature?

Using the calendar functionality to create a meeting note actually makes that note a sub-page of your daily note for that day, It’s quite a great working system. Helps track everything that happened that day in one single place.

1 Like

Thank you! I believe what you have outlined is precisely the structure I’ve been working on building. Mine is very similar to yours. The missing piece was daily notes and how they connect to projects and people. Based on your example, I see a three-way connection between people, projects and daily notes, all connected to other “external” sources, with everything linked together.

Not me! :slight_smile: :crossed_fingers: I’ve done enough tinkering. I had settled on my workflow until Obsidian came along and then I succumbed to the siren call. But, it was a good exercise and reinforced why Craft is a better tool for me. BTW, I drag emails from Apple’s email app into Craft where needed, it works perfectly regardless of the email provider.

1 Like

FYI. I tried this with Monterey Beta 12.0 on my M1 Mac mini and I couldn’t get it to work. I never tried this with Big Sur so it may be user error.

CleanShot 2021-06-21 at 07.15.31@2x

I don’t think it is a user error, I suspect it is a beta issue. It works fine in Big Sur on my M1.

1 Like

Works fine with iPadOS Beta 15.0 (iPad Pro 2nd Gen - non-M1). On Monterey Beta 12.0 it will open the imported email link in Apple Mail.

1 Like

You can use Daily Notes to see a timeline of progress. If you make a daily note, you can link that date to meetings and any updates you have on projects. They you can have a summary of what you did that day.

I used to do this in a notebook that I would carry with me every where. It did have tasks and notes to myself on decisions I made and why I made them. Your tasks are probably in your task manager and your decisions are probably on the project page. But having a timeline lets you see an evolution of all the projects you are working on.

1. It helps me see that I’m moving forward or if I’m stuck somewhere. High-level view. For personal review, it helps with planning.
  2. If you work for a company, this helps you with your end of the year review. I honestly forget how many things I accomplish in a year.

In Obsidian, you could have a daily note automatically generate every day and then use the Natural Language Date plugin to type on the date in meeting, client or project files. Then you could just look at the backlinks during review. You wouldn’t even have to manually embed or anything.

Thanks, much appreciated. I’ve started using the daily note feature. I like the way you described how you use daily notes; I think I’ll tweak my process to incorporate some of your practices–I typically have not written down the decisions I’ve made and why I made them. That sounds like a good idea.

You are correct, I do use a project manager per the sketch above. I have not found a note app that can match the power and flexibility of a dedicated task manager.

In Obsidian, you could have a daily note automatically generate every day and then use the Natural Language Date plugin to type on the date in meeting, client or project files. Then you could just look at the backlinks during review. You wouldn’t even have to manually embed or anything.

Craft works much the same way. For example,

Craft Auto-Generated Daily Note

Craft’s / “Auto-Insert” Feature When Working in a Note

Note I Created in a Craft Project Folder

Craft’s Auto-Generated Backlink in Today’s Daily Note Linking Back to the Project Note I Created

BTW, I like your avatar, nice design!

1 Like

I’m late to this discussion but since I’ve been playing with using Daily notes in Obsidian I thought I’d go back through and post a few various responses in one post rhather than flood the thread with a bunch of small single item postings.

Mine are my Aras of Focus from GTD and I do have projects loosly assigned to those AOFs but some projects cross them. Ditto for some notes and reference material. My 2021 list is:

• Family and Friends
  • Health and Fitness
  • Sheep Flock & Farm Management
  • LambTracker/AnimalTrakker Programmer
  • Archivist
  • Household Management
  • Personal Growth and Development
  • Community Involvement
  • World Traveler

I’m back to doing some research work so I’m currently experimenting with using a daily note in Obsidian as my Lab Notebook. It won’t satisfy a patent lawyer for proof of original thought but I do not expect this current set of things I’m working on to be patentable anyway. Pluses are that it’s easy to do and links and backlinks are good Minuses are that I really need to set up a template with an alias block and other front matter to make it more automatic to create and use.

My joournal which i handwrite in a paper notebook is more my what I did yesterday (I journal in the morning) and how I felt and decisions made and useful tidbits and occasionally essays and stuff. Some of the items also get created as notes in Obsidian and some started in Obsidian and I print them out and paste a copy in my physical book. I’ve tried strictly digital journaling but I miss the feel of paper and pen. The ease of doing them in Obsidian is a siren call I have so far resisted though.