Why should I use Drafts especially with OmniFocus?

I’m a very big user of Omnifocus. I have really been seeing that alot of people use Drafts to enter items into Omnifocus.

I tried to read Rosemary’s blog post, but I’m still not getting why there is value in that.

I use the OF user interface to add items. I always use email to send tasks and items to OF. What does Drafts give me that I’m not experiencing now!

Thanks in advance!

I went through why use Drafts at all phase. I needed to play Wirehaired Terrier, circle around, dash in, take a bite, back out to circle mode. More so than many apps Drafts is a package deal. Drafts allows me to dart in and … One specific question such as your OmniFocus one is harder to look at in isolation. For one user it using it to enter stuff in a task manager is wonderful. For another it’s a waste of time. It all depends on how Drafts is being used overall.

Maybe it’s the different paradigm that people like.

• type stuff, run an action, done
  • click somewhere, type stuff, click, click, date picker, type stuff, click, click, done
    (Substitute “poke” for “click” for iPad)

I copied this from an email: “CABI’s monthly users meeting of the semester on Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 9:30am - 10:30am here at CABI’s conference room”, ran Fatastically Good Event Parser, and got this:
Pretty cool, no tedium of date and time picking, etc.

I have an older iPhone and it is much faster to launch Drafts and start typing or dictating. I have to wait for Omnifocus to launch and then find the add to inbox button.

Drafts is that generic inbox for text items. When I arrive at home or the office, it’s easy enough to push each draft to its intended destination - Fantastical, Ulysses, or OmniFocus.

2 Likes

Drafts is one of the few apps which incorporates the good action design - first type in what you have in mind, then think what you want to do with it. Another one would be launchbar. So many apps get it completely wrong.

2 Likes

For me, if you have a lot of action to add to OF, I open draft, type all details, send to OF…and done. They are even sent to the project without a lot of tapping.

1 Like

For me Drafts is the go to text entry app. I cannot remember when Text did not start in Drafts for me.
One app -> actions, done!
it’s all about efficiency and speed.

1 Like