WiFi router recommendations for home? Currently using a Netgear R7000

Synology RT2600AC
Synology RT2600ac - 4x4 dual-band Gigabit Wi-Fi router, MU-MIMO, powerful parental controls, Threat Prevention, bandwidth management, VPN, expandable coverage with mesh Wi-Fi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5MPTG1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_i8NxEb2Q3G0KF

3 Likes

my wifi constantly drops on my i/mac devices - which is why im eyeing this thead but as much as i’ve always been a computer person i’m not a strong w/ networking nor do I want to manage my infrastructure outside a firmware update here & there…

i don’t quite understand a mesh - thought those were extenders for ppl with large homes but i like the Synology RT2600AC device posted - I see its wifi only router and given i have cable network – i would still need that router but would i have two WIFI networks the synology & my original?

can someone help me understand how to best utilize these devices?

The eero does have support for a guest network.

(Never heard of having three before. I don’t know that many people :slight_smile:

The eero app will even show you QR codes to let people easily join your primary or guest networks. I printed mine out and hung it on the wall, because I’m super classy.

4 Likes

The QR code is a nice feature

You can easily create a QR code using this website.
https://qifi.org

1 Like

You can also make Wi-Fi QR codes with Shortcuts. Matthew Cassinelli has posted one on his YouTube, along with several other nifty ones. You can find them here:

2 Likes

#simply
An extender rebroadcasts you’re existing Wi-Fi
signal, a mesh uses multiple nodes; via wireless
uplink, to create a separate network.

While of course “it depends”, a mesh is often
a better choice (for connectivity and throughput)
in the typical home, than one central device no
matter how powerful that single device is.
However, a single device may suffice :grinning:

Number of devices, type of devices, distance, interference, and throughput desired are just
a few factors to be considered.

Yes, if you acquire another Wi-Fi router, (mesh
or stand alone) you will have two Wi-Fi networks.

It’s trivial to turn one off, and that is typically
the one on your ISP device, as that is the
one you are replacing or enhancing.

1 Like

I’m in a small house which has been served fine by my AirPort Extreme but its fan is going - I think mesh would be overkill in the space. We have about a dozen devices at most, but two iPhone 11 Pros, so could benefit from WiFi 6.

Suggestions?

1 Like

The NetGear R7000 is back up and running perfectly. Even have the VPN enabled. I think I’m gonna sit tight and then either do a newer version of the router I have, or wait for the next round of Eero hardware.

1 Like

I had real problems with WiFI and some extenders in a new house. Spotty coverage and slow speeds. I upgrade to Plume and have been extremely happy. I have 1gb speeds so I got the “super pods”. I get great speeds anywhere in the house now. There is a subscription service, but I’m okay with that given the improvement in the speeds and simplicity.

As 20 people their opinion, you get 40 different answers :slight_smile:

I switched from the All-In-One to the All-In-Some philosophy. aka Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket. to the Ubiquity Unifi family of home networking devices.

1. Router/Firewall - Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG)
  2. Switch - Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 16 Managed PoE+ Gigabit Switch with SFP (US-16-150W)
  3. WiFi Access Point(AP) - Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite
  4. Required extra - Unifi Cloudkey Controller to rule them all. you can use a software or hardware version of the controller, but you have to have one.

You’ll need 1 and 4 for WiFi only setup.

This wasn’t a small switch, but after trying pfsense out, I wanted to save what hair I had left and get point and click setup. There is a learning curve to get it set up, but afterwards you can manage ( and monitor ) all of your devices from the controller’s Web console.
Need to create a guest WiFi network? Point and click
Need to aggregate some ports on the switch? Point and Click?
Need to reboot a device ? Mouse pointer will click that restart the device.
and so on.

The pros
Reliable
Put each device where it works best. your router/switch/wifi ap aren’t connected to each other .
Upgrade each piece
Unified management and reporting via the controller. it feeds you all kinds of reports on signal strength, what kinds of traffic are using your bandwidth, how healthy your internet connection is, and more.
Great support. Updates, forums, customer support.

The Cons
You need the controller
More expensive than an all-in-one
Initial learning curve.

3 Likes

We put in an eero with two beacons and it has worked great. I am currently unable to connect my new Traeger Pro 780 grill as it has difficulty connecting to a dual band router. From what I have learned, it is possible, just tricky.

1 Like

Has anyone here ever replaced a failing fan in an airport extreme, either DIY or at a shop? The fan looks to be about $7 .

No experience here of Eero, but I hear that Eero now has HomeKit support and that sounds amazing, as Bart Busschots explains: https://overcast.fm/+BMJqJ4PGM/57:35

Another vote for eero. I upgraded to the eero and two beacons when the combo went on sale last year before Black Friday. We have three teen-angers + friends, multiple devices including home automation, and streaming services.

WiFi is a non-issue.

1 Like

Try this one out. Unifi Dream Machine. Easy to expand to a larger Ubiquiti network later

After seeing suggestion by @hmurchison I found this Youtube review of the Unifi Dream Machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BezoNUflqXo

This is a thorough review of what appears to be a great router. The reviewer gushes a bit, but the video is still informative. It is designed to work well with Ubitquiti’s line of wifi access points (POE-capable) and other gear.

If anyone in this forum uses one of these, it would be great to see a post here.

I use an Eero Pro 3-pack mesh system - works very well in a large home that has 2 somewhat remote rooms. During holiday gatherings there are sometimes 30+ devices connected with no problems.

2 Likes

I haven’t done this myself but it doesn’t look that bad.

iFixIt Guide for AirPort Extreme Fan Replacement

1 Like

Three years ago I picked up a Cisco 2106 WLAN controller and 6 1142 APs for less than $100. It was old end-of-life equipment then, but still has dual band and n radios. It’s amazingly customizable with loads of security features and lots of documentation available online. Enterprise features for budget price. I have 2 APs on each floor and 2 in opposite corner soffits of my detached garage, which saturates WiFi indoors and outdoors. The only downside is a steep learning curve. But, if you like to geek out, I highly recommend. Oh, you’ll need a POE switch too.

1 Like

Network Chuck is one of my Favorites along with Lawrence Systems and Crosstalk Solutions. All have done good reviews on UBNT hardware.

I like Eero stuff as well (current Linksys Velop owner) but my family goals are to purchase a 2nd property for either rental or AirBNB and I need something I can manage the whole shebang under a single app.

I’ve looked at Netgear Insight (which costs more), Engenius and other but UBNT gives more the most options knowing that i’m also looking for NVR and VOIP capabilities.

I’ve got about 2 months to get up in my attic and do about 10 network drops before the Arkansas heat turns my attic into Satan’s Den. I’m gonna order my MagnePull and a spool of Cat-6x cable and put in work on a weekend. By then i’ll have sussed out some ideal locations for POE AP. I’m trying to wait for Wifi-6 Ubiquiti AP before I actually do the install.

2 Likes