Window Management with Shortcuts!

So in the various times I’ve seen the topic of tiled window management come up I’ve not seen anyone mention that this can be done via Shortcuts in Monterey.

Very nice in that keyboard shortcuts can be assigned to each. I’ve been using Raycast which also works very well. Shortcuts paired with a keyboard shortcut may be one keystroke faster. :slightly_smiling_face:

You can assign keyboard shortcuts to the Raycast commands (this is what I’ve been doing). Shortcuts probably works well but I haven’t tried it because Raycast covers my needs now and Rectangle did before that.

Ha! You know, I think I may have known that but neglected to set them up! Then I got excited with the tinkering with making shortcuts! What did you choose for your keyboard shortcuts in Raycast? I was/am having a hard time determining what to use.

For the most part, I use the Rectangle ones because I’ve never had any other shortcuts conflict with them and to preserve my muscle memory:

I’ve also changed a few to my liking though (“make larger/smaller” is cmd-shift-opt-= or cmd-shift-opt-dash for me, etc).

1 Like

Thank you - so many options!

Too many options! I’m sticking with Moom and Alfred! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I set up various macros using Keyboard Maestro to handle most of my window management needs. This key group will take the front most window of any app and the various keys can position the window thanks like left column, right column, full screen or large and centered etc. or even same positions on my second display. This gives me great flexibility.

Could you please share an example of the macOS Monterey shortcuts that you’re using for repositioning your windows? I haven’t been able to get it running properly myself.

Sure. Here’s a shortcut to move a window to the right half of the screen.

1 Like

thanks! but this one isn’t running on my machine (2020 M1, Monterey 12.3.1). It’s giving me this generic error:

There was a problem running the shortcut “Window Right Half”.

I tried to come up with a shortcut for moving a window to the right half myself and was unable. But this shortcut posted by @Denny does the trick (macOS Intel, Monterey 12.3.1).