Wireless Audio Sync and audio lag on bluetooth headphones

Recently while using my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones with my Apple TV 4 I noticed a slight audio delay. I see that tvOS 13 has a Wireless Audio Sync feature which is supposed to deal with just this issue and specifically mentions Bluetooth headphones.

My Apple TV is connected to my TV through my soundbar, which handles all the inputs. There is no lag on the soundbar but there is one when I hook up the headphones. My questions are:

1. How does the Wireless Audio Sync feature measure and adjust for the delay on the headphones given that it uses the iPhone to measure the delay?

2. Can the feature be restricted to the use of the headphones? When/how will the Apple TV know not to make any changes when the audio is going through the soundbar but to do so for the headphones?

Interestingly, I haven’t noticed a delay on the headphones when watching movies on my iPad.

Have you tried pairing the headphones with the Apple TV instead of the sound bar?

1 Like

Sorry, I should have clarified! Yes, the headphones are connected to the Apple TV and not to the soundbar.

1 Like

Hi Ajay

This thread is really old but I hope you see this.
I’m having the EXACT same issue with the same hardware (sony wh-1000xm3 & soundbar and atv4k)
Where you able to solve this issue?

Thank you for your reply!