Wireless Networks & Capacity (Plex, etc.)?

I currently have a Time Warner “default” cable modem / router for my cable service. It’s a Ubee…I’d have to dig to find the model.

Trying to get on one network and run everything through it to see how it goes, and I just got a warning from Plex that the network didn’t have enough capacity for a 1080p stream.

This router has a couple of TVs (only one of which was being used at the time), 3 computers (Plex server & my desktop in use at the time), 2 iPhones (1 in use at the time), & 2 iPads (1 in use at the time).

I know there are capacity challenges sometimes with networks, especially the default cable company equipment. Would buying pretty much any other router (or a mesh) solve this problem? Or do I need to look for very specific things in order to ensure I get something with enough capacity for my devices?

Is everything connected wirelessly?

That’s what I’m going for, yeah. I had a non-mesh system with the Macs and the TVs on the same router (Macs wired, TVs wireless), and everything else on a different one with the Mac/TV router gated into it - but that causes problems for my girlfriend’s Windows laptop for some reason, and it puts my Macs behind a powerline networking link which throttles their network speed to the Internet by quite a bit.

We really need one setup that can handle all of this.

Personally, I gained a lot by ditching the cable co equipment and saved money switching from renting to buying a modem outright. I’ve had great luck with Netgear over time so this is my current setup:

Netgear cable modem | DOCSIS 3.1 | CM1000
(connected to)

Netgear Orbi | AX4200 | WiFi Mesh System (RBK752)
(provides routing and wifi connected to)

Netgear 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
(everything with ethernet plugs in here)

The new Orbi is ahhhh-maaaa-zing!!!

1 Like

In that case a mesh network might be in your future.

What I’m trying to figure out, more than just whether a mesh is what I need, is whether or not the mesh actually makes the situation better because the router is better, or just because there are more access points.

For example, let’s say I have a dozen devices. My “default” Ubee router seems to be having a problem with that.

If I swap in an Orbi mesh like @adamashlock has, is each unit capable of handling more devices as well as the whole network being more efficient? Or is the main benefit just that I have more units to handle my devices?

This isn’t a huge apartment (800 square feet) - so if a more-centrally-located super-fancy single router would solve the problem, that would be optimal. Or if a mesh is still a benefit, I’d go that route.

Does that make sense?

At 800 Sq feet, mesh is overkill. Who knows how old the Ubee is, but any brand name Wi-Fi 6 router will handle more devices effeciently.

1 Like

A new router as @NiceMarmut suggested may be a good option. We have a slightly larger place, but were noticing some lag and challenges with connection quality. Adding a new Linksys Velop AX4200 helped with the quality. It also has a number of Ethernet ports, so we were able to get rid of the extra hubs.

We connect quite a few devices and needed the mesh system for the space. With 800 square feet, one, well placed node or two Ethernet-connected nodes of a AX model of the Orbi may be a good choice. The Linksys gave us the extra Ethernet ports, for about the same cost and less hubs.

The routers seemed to have improved quite a bit even over the last couple of years. We replaced our Apple routers with Google WiFi three years ago. While that improvement was nice for system management, this one has been more significant in quality of connection.

Best wishes on your final solution.

If you want to connect many devices via wifi you need a WiFi access point / router ideally that can do 4x4 mimo. At a minimum 2x2…

When I hear apartment I think frequency congestion. How many other wifi networks are visible from your apartment? If too many that may raise the noise floor for the frequencies used.

Disable 2.4Ghz only use 5Ghz

About 15 - maybe 10 of which are unique, and 5 of which are 2G/5G variants of the others.

Oh gosh…with that square footage and number of devices you just need a solid WiFi base station. If you can afford one with WiFi 6 all the better.

I’ve got 1124 square feet, and i went with a single Eero unit in the middle of the apartment.

It works beautifully, and if I ever move to a larger space, all I need to do is pick up an additional 1-2 units.