Wordpress hosting

I was wondering if anyone here might have a suggestion for me regarding wordpress hosting, since I’ve scanned both domestic as well as foreign hosting services, and frankly I’m drowning in information owerflow, so maybe the experiences of others might be able to help me decide on a course :crossed_fingers:

Currently I have a Wordpress personal blog hosted by One.com

• the TLD is .dk

I’m on their Hosting Starter subscription which is roughly $3 a month, or DKK19 a month.
So far this has been a great solution for me with only one WP install, but the drawbacks in this solution are:

• I have to install & maintain WP myself. Not really a problem, I can do that pretty ok, myself.
  • The real problem is that I only have access to 512Mb RAM, 1 CPU & 1 SQL database.

As I’m planning on starting a second WP blog on a second domain (TLD is to be .com) - this one tech & gadget oriented - I need a new hosting solution, since the next subscription step by One.com is simply too pricey for my demands.
But like I said, I’m drowning in price & features information owerflow, so could really use som advice from you guys :slightly_smiling_face:

I host with World4You who are based in Austria. Their middle package (Domainserver 2018) for shared hosting offers what you need. I used to have that package until I switched to a virtual server with them. Once in a while I come across some odd English in the backend but it’s never caused an issue with understanding. They do have regular sales as well.

I used to host with Bluehost but they become prohibitively expensive for more than one website in my experience.

1 Like

I know this is not the preferred approach by many, but I go for $5 or $10 droplet from digital ocean, and you can get it pre-installed with Wordpress.
People prefer the peace of mind of managed wordpress, but again, if you visit your wordpress once weekly you can apply patches, and cut costs into half.

2 Likes

I have a Digital Ocean $5 droplet hosting .us and .com websites from a single WordPress instance.

On the plus side it is a cost effective way to host two different TLD sites. It also provides a general purpose server outside my own network/firewall so I can do some other things with it as well. My site needs are modest so the lowest cost droplet is fine. I’ve also heard some WP hosting companies place limits which can get in the way and I have complete control over the droplet so that’s a plus.

On the down side: having a single WP instance host two different domains is fiddly to set up and not something I’d recommend taking on unless that’s that sort of work appeals to you. Once I got it set up and working it hasn’t been a problem (and slightly reduces my overhead, e.g. when there’s a new plugin update I can do a single upgrade and it will apply to all sites).

1 Like

@RosemaryOrchard I’m checking out their hosting solutions now - they’re both cheap & offer features my current hosting charges as extras :muscle:

@mina & @ronguest Digital Ocean seems like a great solution, too, unfortunately, though they have limited bandwidth which I as a rule of thumb prefer to be unlimited (though 1Tb is a decent amount of data for traffic) when planning ahead.

1 Like

I’m very happy with siteground.com but I have quite a minimal, low-traffic Wordpress site.

Depending on what you want to do, a micro.blog hosted site might be a good solution. If your goal is mostly short blog posts with a bit of static page support, then it’s a great way to go.

Your WP shouldn’t be driving more than 1TB monthly. More than that you should consider hosting your site behind CDN.
And it’s 1TB of unthrottled Network. A hosting provider with unlimited bandwidth is for sure throttled.

I personally use GoDaddy because I’ve had nothing but good experiences with their customer support. I know the cost is higher than other providers but I’ve had dozens of sites hosted by them and never even had a second of downtime. Wordpress installations are fully supported and installation/maintenance is automated through their web interface (you have full SSH access so installing manually is also possible).

They’re always willing to solve problems over the phone, their servers have always been rock solid and upgrading to a more powerful server is easy when the need arises.

2 Likes

I’m using GoDaddy because of excellent tech support and the ability to host many different domains and all sorts of options. Not the cheapest but I like having the hosting in the US and the fact that I can get good tech support at 2am if I need it. Their 24 hour support is real and skilled.

1 Like

I also like the Digital Ocean option, but if you add Server Pilot to the mix then you really don’t have to do any type of server configuration. I host many sites on my $10 plan. Now only 2 have a bunch of traffic, but it sings along without hiccups.

@lsieverts the Siteground.com seems pretty decent, but the micro.blog is not really my scope, since I plan on writinge “article”-like blog posts on the new site & just as they current blog is somewhat articly type blog posts.
One thing I really like about this hosting service is that Wordpress.org recommends WordPress hosting by them :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll definitely keep siteground.com in mind, when deciding which hosting service to use :slightly_smiling_face:

@mina I agree, it shouldn’t 8and it doesn’t :slight_smile:) but I on hosting several site in the future, so unlimited bandwidth is going to be a factor later on, and I’m looking to find a permanent hosting solution (it’s been 8 years since I moved to One.com) so this move is supposed to be the last time (if all goes well, of course) :slight_smile:

@Rob_Polding & @OogieM I used to have sites hosted by GoDaddy before I moved to One.com and they’re reliable and offer pretty good services so the only thing I can hold against them is really the price tag :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t want to be dragging the conversation into a debate. But I am trying to offer you as much information as I can. Wordpress by nature won’t give you the peace of mind you are looking for.
The problem with any hosting, they will put on a specific server, and you are asked to run the same server forever.

On the other side, when you have more control on servers, and how they are created, things go different. You can create new servers, migrate data, delete old ones. That’s up to you.

If you want to run multiple websites, then the $5 droplet won’t fit. The server won’t be capable of running them. As you move to bigger droplets, the bandwidth doubles I believe.

No worries :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree with you, but I really just want a solution that “just works” without too much administration required, except the WP administration.

Otherwise it would be a great solution for me :smiley:

When purchasing a new domain today for a super secret project I realised that NameCheap also offer managed Wordpress hosting for $15/year which looks pretty much plug and play. They also offer regular shared hosting which I briefly used (and then realised I needed my own server, despite the great access they give you).

2 Likes

Hi, Rosemary! I’m thinking about moving my personal linkblog to a new domain and new host and BlueHost is high on the list. Plans start at $3.95/mo. for one domain, which seems inexpensive to me. What am I missing?

Aaaand I just read the fine print. There does not appear to be any try-before-you buy at Bluehost. You have to plunk down $70+ and if you don’t like it tough.

2 Likes

As well as that, that’s just one domain. If you want more than one it rapidly goes up in price by a significant amount.

1 Like

Oh, and here Comes the information overload :grin: you guys are just too good at giving examples of web hosting - how am I to decide :joy:

This thread to add to the overload. (Cloudways managed with DigitalOcean and name.com) So far so good.

1 Like

A few years back — I had three sites on bluehost. For a couple years well satisfied then got a case of the slows and downtime (pingdom). Most of the time help was good. However caught a virus through one of my plugins they were less than helpful. Did what I could to fix then said the heck with it. Oh yes, Help often took hours of waiting at the time. Old info but real info… I could add for what it’s worth.

2 Likes