Workflow to encrypt file(s) on Mac

Greetings. I was wondering if anyone ran into this situation:

• I want to be able to encrypt a file or more by creating a workflow and using builtin tools within MacOs. Basically right click on the file - select the workflow to encrypt and then the files will be encrypted behind the scenes with a password already coded into the workflow

• I know I can use Preview but that is one item at a time and too many steps and I want to be able to automate as much as possible

• I also read about QPDF - just don’t trust that the tool will be here let’s say 5-10 years from now when I will need the file decrypted

Appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you!
AV

If you don’t mind installing software with Homebrew, I wrote this up a few years ago. jb… Simple File Encryption for macOS I assume it would still work, although I stopped using this method.

Depending on your use case perhaps you can use an encrypted disk image?

1 Like

I may miss something here, but shouldn’t a PDF protected by a password be something that can be opened by any PDF viewer?

Be it as it may, it may be a better workflow to store files on an encrypted drive, volume, or disk image in the long run while leaving the file itself unencrypted. Encrypting individual files is something I use in the short term (if a file is being sent via Internet), but I strip the encryption from it afterwards when I store it in an environment (image, folder, drive) that is encrypted (or not)…

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. I totally agree with the encrypted drive - super easy. The issue I have is with sharing with wife and kids… I don’t think I can share the entire encrypted drive/image and beside none all of them are on Mac. By encrypting a folder, let’s say Statements - I can easily share any statement at any time with them with the file encrypted.
Encrypted with Preview works across platforms i.e. Windows so they can easily enter the password and view the file. if I used QPDF I think it may not work unless you use QPDF to decrypt.

From the following sentence from the qpdf documentation, it utilizes the encryption that’s part of the PDF standard and should work with any PDF software:

“This chapter discusses PDF encryption in a general way with an angle toward how it works in qpdf. This chapter is not intended to replace the PDF specification. Please consult the spec for full details.”

https://qpdf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/encryption.html

1 Like

Missed that somehow … so it seems QPDF is the way to go. I can automate things on my side using Mac OS and easily share it with the ‘outside’ world. I’ll give it a try and update.
Thank you everyone!
AV