Wrong location noted when signing into AppleID on all devices

Today when I was looking at the Apple Store online, every time that looked for availability at my local store it selected a store in Dallas. I live 2 states away from Texas. I changed it to my local store. Later I came back and it did this again. When shopping at an online store for clothing, this site showed my local store to be in Dallas. All of my Apple ID info is correct and shows my home address (Not Texas). I did a nuke and pave (for other reasons) on my MBP. When I had to put in my AppleID password, it showed that I was signing-in to a new device (MBP) in the Dallas area. I tried a few times and it did this each time. I finally said OK and put in the 2FA code. Then I changed my AppleID password. Now that I’m signing-in to each of my devices (iPad, iPhone, etc) it again states I’m signing-in to devices in Dallas. I had read somewhere online, that sometimes this happens. Has this happened to anyone else? Want to check before I contact Apple.

IP address geolocation is hit and miss. VPNs can further mess it up. I’m surprised anytime I get the right city on a website that tries to locate me. I live in Wellington, New Zealand, and 90% of the time I am placed in Auckland; about 500 km away.

My ISP is headquartered in Auckland, which is what I’ve always put it down to.

3 Likes

Thanks. This is helpful. I have never experienced this before. I don’t have use a VPN. I really don’t know where my ISP is located, which I guess is where the servers are located? Never really thought about it. My ISP is the regional power company. I may give them a call tomorrow.

Do you have Private Relay turned on? If you are using Safari, depending on your settings, that might account for your problem. I’ve had trouble logging into my bank, etc when PR is on.

3 Likes

Private Relay puts me in New Jersey.

After about 15 minutes, I’m spit out on the side of the New Jersey Turnpike.

explanation

3 Likes

This IP locating is not working at all, specially if you have an ISP, who is changing the IP every day or so.
I am always “glad” if those locations shown within that notifications are for me at least within Europe.
At the beginning it could scare you, if you get an Notification or Mail that stated a Log-in to your Account several hundred kilometers away, but with time going by, you get used to it at some point… :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, I have discovered that Private Relay is on. I keep Private Relay turned off because a couple of my banking sites did not work correctly. I am running iOS 16 beta on my phone and updated to the latest version 1-2 days ago. Perhaps the update turned it on or, more likely, I turned it on by mistake and just don’t remember doing this. Thanks for pointing this out.

Yes, it can (and did!).

Y’all have saved me time by not having to call Apple or my local ISP. Thank you all for your help with this. Now I have to read more about Private Relay.

1 Like

Just to be sure:
If you get a message like that, and you previously DID NOT try to log into this account, it could be a real warning, and should be followed by approbate actions!

1 Like

Yes. Thank you for pointing this out. :grinning:

1 Like