WWDC 2021 Keynote!

Lots of impressive tech stuff that’s definitely going to explode with AR glasses: environmental text recognition that you can act upon, recognition of your surroundings… and I finally hope multitasking on iPad finally works, but all the concepts I’ve seen with windows and menu bars just looked so much better.

I’m not seeing a lot that directly speaks to me. I don’t get that SharePlay thing, and iMessage is a minority in Europe. I must be getting old.

I was also really hoping for new Macs. Universal Control is truly an impressive feat but I don’t see myself using it - in what conditions?

I am however excited by

• Shortcuts on the Mac
  • TestFlight on the Mac
  • Privacy protection in Mail (and iCloud+)
  • Hopefully, finally, Safari will have a great extension ecosystem (having them on iOS will be amazing).

Lots of good stuff for people in that presentation that are just not me. So: really underwhelmed.

1 Like

What do you think? Was there a feature in iPadOS that makes upgrading to the 2021 ‘worth it?”

Was there a feature in iPadOS that makes upgrading to the 2021 ‘worth it?”

I absolutely don’t think so.

I’ve have not seen anything that pushes me to upgrade from a 10.5 iPad Pro to the M1 11" (nor to the air, which could do as well for my workflow, I suspect)

1 Like

I won’t disagree. The Universal Control is one of those things that looks really impressive, but I’m going to have to think about how I would use it.

Shortcuts, though. I use KM and am finally getting my head around that, but there are limits about what it can do. Shortcuts being integrated into the O/S and apps opens a lot more possibilities. And I’m sure someone will figure out how to call a shortcut from KM…

I couldn’t pay attention to the privacy part. Why would someone schedule a work meeting right in the middle of the Apple Keynote???!!!

2 Likes

Didn’t see anything that would make me trade in my 2018 iPad Pro.

3 Likes

Nothing to make me upgrade my 2018, either. But I will be signing up for public betas.

1 Like

tenor

5 Likes

Ah, it sure looks like Automator is going the disappear in the future. Mentioning that it « continues to be supported » means that at some point it won’t especially with talk of that « multi year transition ».

My two cents:

• short term: Automator goes away in 2 releases, since all (most?) Automator scripts will be convertible to Shortcuts from day one
  • long term (3-5 releases): AppleScript is deprecated, to be replaced entirely by Shortcuts; apps will need to be updated to replace their AppleScript integration with Shortcut actions to donate to the system
  • scripting and integrated languages remain the province of power tools like KM.

Absolutely meh. I was pretty disappointed in most of this. A few “nice” improvements, but yet another year where the software can’t fulfill the hardware on the iPad.

3 Likes

I’m happy with what I’ve seen.

I’ve been saying for a while that Apple will have a hardware device that supports Zoom, Teams etc for a while now. SharePlay and the other stuff announced just the building blocks of collaboration tools. Apple is creating a Zoom/Team without making a Carbon copy of those apps and 3rd Party developers will have access. It’s a nice strategy

Universal Control is about removing the impediment to file transfer. While AirDrop is fairly easy why not remove the need to go to the share menu in the first place? I’m at the point where the distinction between the Cloud and your local computing lines should be almost non-existent in a few OS generations.

What makes Apple ….Apple isn’t really huge tectonic shifts but rather elimination of micro annoyances that lessen the impedance for using technology. They haven’t done the best job of it but with the Mac and iOS platforms unified on the same microprocessing architecture and Frameworks their vision seems to be coming into view.

4 Likes

A new App Store for people to share or sell their automations; that could be really impactful.
Imagine Etsy for apps!

2 Likes

This. Going back through they keynote I see a ton of “quality of life” improvements across a whole range of areas.

5 Likes

Downloading the dev betas right now…because I’m a glutton for punishment. :joy::joy:

Nothing on Mail, eh?

Anyone pick up on whether Universal Control works from the iPad to the Mac, e.g., using the Magic Keyboard? If so, I’m taking full credit for the idea:

3 Likes

Universal Control, IF it works via Ethernet. I’m not holding my breath…

This is probably one of the features I’m most excited about. FINALLY a unified experience in safari!

I hear that! M1 + 2019 iPad Pro + iPhone 11 Pro

I WILL regret this but I don’t right now :slight_smile:

I like that iPad is still an iPad for at least another year.

Mail was only mentioned during the privacy enhancement section. Now you’ll be the only one who knows you can’t ‘share’ an email

2 Likes