Yet another DevonThink topic

Most of my syncing is ipad to iPhone. I find iCloud syncing to be very very slow. I hope Dropbox is faster.

For me Dropbox is acceptably fast (but I have a super-fast home internet connection). iCloud’s reputation is not good for that sort of thing. If you must have very fast performance, use local sync with your own Webdav server or the Bonjour connection. Syching speed has really nothing to do with with DEVONthink.

1 Like

It does if iCloud is stalling. I feel like Dropbox would be more reliable for this?

And if I’m only occasionally using my Mac, cloud sync (not bonjour) is going to be my main syncing method. Right?

My view: Don’t over-think it. If you have access (even the Free account might be enough storage, but wholly depends on you), use Dropbox and forget about it. They handle the details and it works.

FWIW, I have found Dropbox syncing to be flaky but after a few weeks on iCloud it’s solid.

1 Like

Another FWIW: @RosemaryOrchard and Scotty Jackson(?) did two sponsored Nested Folders podcasts on Devonthink 3.

The 2nd one was more focused on Rose’s approach – which for me, considering she has used it much longer than Scotty – was more informative.

Both are not very long, but run the gamut of what can be done inside Devonthink, and are worth a listen, imo.

4 Likes

Yes, @HeyScottyJ and I really enjoyed making those episodes!

4 Likes

Second the endorsement for the @HeyScottyJ and @RosemaryOrchard podcasts.

4 Likes

Thanks I wouldn’t have know about these had you not posted it here. Just FYI I love power use podcasts but out of sheer necessity, I have to do some of the things I am supposed to be doing!, I have had to limit them. I am down to MPU really now. It is nice when I get to hear though about something really useful to me. I know one can check out podcasts but, again, if one does that over the full range of one’s interests that can become time consuming in itself.

Does anyone know where DEVONthink To Go 3 is at, realistically? I understand there’s a test version, but does that mean this year, next year, or should one plan on it not arriving?

It is worth joining the beta to get the updates that have been implemented so far for 2.8. I have not heard of a beta for 3 though—so I wouldn’t bet on a better overall experience, closer feature parity with DT3, or other major updates for a while.

You actually have to sign an NDA to get into the beta, so I can’t say much in detail about it. Perhaps it isn’t contract-breaking, though, to note that there hasn’t been a beta update in 32 days. Maybe they are working on something big?

2 Likes

I’ll investigate! I probably meant 2.8–whichever version is smoother to use, not that you can confirm or deny that. :wink:

1 Like

Another +1 who’s waited too long for next release of DTTG :worried: DT3 is great but DTTG hasn’t been updated in a LONG time. Stopped using current version of DTTG which desperately needs an update.

1 Like

I’d be interested in hearing about how you’re using Obsidian in conjunction with DevonThink. Have you written that up anywhere?

I’m looking into Obsidian and trying to figure out whether it would be useful for me or another timesink. And I’m also going through another existential crisis with regard to DevonThink — am I really getting value from it? Would I start getting more value if I put more information into it? Where would I find that information?

I haven’t written much up, sorry. Like you (and everybody else on MPU) it’s still in flux, hah!

I have become satisfied with DT as being the place I go to look for things. Ergo, everything is indexed or stored there, I use its clipping tools to save anything I come across for later, and it provides a variety of neat organizing features (smart groups/rules, see also, etc.) that help me explore my digital stuff.

I create nothing new in DT, however. My thinking is written in Obsidian. The main reason is that Obsidian’s writing interface is cleaner and nicer (to me) and the linking system facilitates writing. I could probably replicate every Obsidian feature I regularly use in DT, but it isn’t as nice an experience (and I like where Obsidian is headed).

DEVONthink indexes the folders of my Obsidian notes, so I can still find and organize my stuff in there.

I really relish the idea of project folders. I like having a place to throw everything—PDFs, emails, notes, data, even .webloc links—related to an ongoing engagement. DEVONthink’s UUIDs allow me to write notes but link to folders (or individual files) and have absolute security that I’ll be able to follow those links to the end of time to find whatever I was referencing.

However, when I’m head-down thinking through something, I’m generally creating new writing. For that I want a nice interface and speedy abilities to pull in other writing (and rarely non-writing items from DT). Obsidian provides a faster, sleeker interface for that.

But the only thing that goes into Obsidian is thinking-as-writing. Everything else in DT.

That’s the current state of affairs! (Sorry this is a bit messy—wanted to reply quickly before it got away from me. Hectic week!)

7 Likes

This is all helpful.

I do my creating and DEVONthink. Practically speaking, that means writing and typing up research notes. I do all that in mark down and then use IA Writer is an external editor.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was doing pre-Obsidian. Obsidian just makes the creation of linked notes nicer (and also possible, vs. iA Writer) which has seemed to lead to better work overall.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try. Why not?

I have one DevonThink group for each article in progress. That group will contain Markdown documents, Microsoft Office docs, PDFs and web clippings. How do you keep all of that together with Obsidian? Or is that not an issue for you?

Also, do you use Obsidian for daily notes? Seems like that’s a natural — and popular — way to use Obsidian.

Thus far I haven’t really thought about the mixed materials folders—I am slowly working towards keeping everything together but haven’t had the chance to do the organizing. My intention is to keep notes and files like you describe in a folder for every project.

And yes to daily notes, although ideally I write in both Obsidian and NotePlan once either one supports both txt and md!

2 Likes

I replied here because it seemed to be more about Obsidian than DevonThink.

1 Like