YNAB can now link to Apple accounts

This is a welcome addition. You need to update to iOS 17.4 to make it work. If you’re already entering your Apple Card transactions manually, be sure to read their instructions for linking that account instead of just creating a new one (which I did accidentally on my first try).

4 Likes

Not just YNAB, all budgeting/banking software can if they implement it. I assume most will, since this has been a big sore spot for the apps that have very Apple focused users.

This is a really good change. I’ve wanted Apple to offer a safer/less creepy alternative to Plaid/MX integrations.

Yep, Apple has release FinanceKit in iOS 17.4 which makes this possible.

It’s a nice change, but still lacking. This is only on iOS (at least from my research). The desktop apps that don’t have an iOS app (Aspire or Tiller) can’t take advantage of this I don’t think. Banktivity has been trying to get something to work for the last month but Goldman is blocking them. No news on their site today.

As much as I like the Apple Card app, it is in dire need of a real website with a backend that supports 3rd parties.

1 Like

US only. Meh. I’ve been looking for a safe way to have YNAB populate my payments through Apple Pay, but there’s nothing I can think of that’ll do it.

If I understand correctly, it’s currently US-only because Apple Card is currently US-only.

1 Like

I don’t know why Apple card hasn’t progressed outside of the US. There’s a lot more to this world than one country and when Apple Card was introduced I believed the plan was to roll it out across the globe.

The banking industry here in Australia would fight its arrival but it would be better for us with another player in the market.

The thing is, the Apple Card is nothing special as far as credit cards go. Sure it has ok cash back for Apple Pay, and pretty good cash back on Apple purchases, but outside of that, there is nothing special about it. The app is kind of neat in that it’s quick and easy to get to on your phone, but it also suffers because of that. There is a webpage, but pretty much all you can do is download statements. Until now you couldn’t even download your transactions in a third party app, but that only works for iOS.

If it’s not available in your country, I wouldn’t give it a second thought. At least in the US, we have a number of CC options that match or beat it.

Not to mention, since Goldman Sachs isn’t happy with it, they are leaving and Apple has to find a new partner, so we really don’t know what is coming for the card.