Yoink - Clipboard App

I tested Yoink. It is nice, but no sync is a deal breaker.

I am testing Gladys. I might test Copied. I could not find a demo, so it cost $6 to try (3 cups of expensive coffee !).

Yoink or Gladys do not seem to be precisely what I am looking for. I use about an inch of screen real-estate as a “holding area” for docs that I am working with. As an example, a pdf I am going to email. I just make the app window smaller to grab them.

I want to move docs into that space, not copy them (as Gladys seems to). And then be able to retrieve them as needed. If my clipboard was stored there, as well, that would be a bonus. (I already have an app with my clipboard history and Alfred).

Gladys seems to be adding steps to my workflow. I am probably not using it correctly.

Yoink 2.0 now out in the iOS App Store supports iCloud sync and includes several features competitive with Gladys. Release notes say a Mac release to support the sync is coming “soon”.

Great news. I prefer Yoink on macOS and this is the compatibility I’ve waited for.

1 Like

I was happy to see the update. Took me awhile to figure out I had to go into the phone’s settings to set-up the iCloud syncing instead of the app itself like other apps.

I was trying to access these forums early to mention the update, but couldn’t.

1 Like

This is very good news. Although I own both apps on both platforms, I prefer Yoink on my Mac and have been waiting for the iOS app to catch up to Gladys.

1 Like

Yes, and unlike Gladys on macOS, Yoink 3.5 (today’s Mac update) is using Handoff so you have to notice that Yoink pops up in the Mac’s Dock with the Handoff icon appearing, then click Yoink in the Dock and chose which (or all) of the items from the iOS device(s) to import. I believe Handoff notices are temporary and do not survive reboots, so Yoink might be less functional than Gladys. (Edit: confirmed – Yoink’s handoff does not persist if one device is slept then awakened.)

Yoink on iOS also allows a manual sync with iCloud (by opening the app, pulling the screen down and letting it go) – only once every 2 minutes. Hmmm – that seems old fashioned. Should be no limit to sync on WiFi. It would be good if a future update of Yoink would use unrestricted iCloud sync and not use Handoff.

John Vorhees has a review on MacStories addressing the latest updates of Yoink

2 Likes