Your Must-Have iPhone Apps List for 2020

Ok, I know you mentioned in your blog that you didn’t include social media - but I have Twitterrific, a 3rd party Twitter client in my dock, as well as WhatsApp, testament of how much I launch them in a day.

My list:

• Twitterrific
  • Things 3
  • Unread - RSS reader
  • Lastpass + Authy
  • Fantastical
  • Evernote
  • Spotify (for podcast, I am experimenting just using Spotify for a few months and see how viable it is for podcast vs Overcast and Castro)
  • Camcard
  • Scanner Pro
  • Calcbot

Nothing spectacular, mostly well loved and solid apps.

My must-have apps are …

Getting organized:

• Things 3
  • Reminders (for location based reminders created via Shortcuts)
  • Calendar 366 II (because it has calendar sets private/work etc.)
  • Tyme2 (Time tracking for certain projects)
  • GoodNotes 5 (note taking, research)
  • Stopwatch of the stock clock app (I challenge myself to finish tasks as quickly as possible by simply working against the stopwatch)

Listening/Reading:

• Overcast
  • BookPlayer (I hate the audible app)
  • VoiceDream (helps me listen to ebooks/pdfs, that don’t have an audiobook version)
  • Apple Books (daily morning reading on the iPad)
  • Day One (daily morning journaling + private “Instagram”-like photo diary)

Health/Exercise:

• iConnectHue (controls my Philips Hue lights, incl. fade to dark orange at night)
  • Sleep Cycle (wakes me up using my Philips Hue lights)
  • DeeDay (good looking countdown/deadline tracker)
  • Zero (fasting tracker I do intermittent fasting)
  • Strong (workout tracker)
  • MyFitnessPal (food logger)
  • Apple Activity (I’m trying to close all rings daily for at least January)
  • Oura (companion app to the pricey Oura ring, which tracks sleep and HRV very well)
  • HRV4Training (HRV analysis and recovery level helper. I exercise a lot and heavy and need to pay attention how well rested I am and how hard I can exercise again)
  • HeartAnalzyer (the monthly heart report as PDFs are great. It forces me to examine my workouts every month)

Shortcuts

• Data Jar (beta, helps me build trackers/counters and store images that I use in my Shortcuts)
  • Toolbox Pro
  • Pushbullet (I send a lot of links to Chrome on my Mac to read/work on later, when I’m out and about)
1 Like

Must have iPhone apps
Phone, Messages and Camera :wink: after all that’s why I carry the thing
Omnifocus
DEVONThink
1Password
Square App (to take credit cards in our store)
PhotoSync
Joule
SplashShopper whose desktop version won’t run on Catalina and there is no good replacement :sigh:
Date&Time Calculator critical for calculating lambing dates, slaughter withdrawals etc.
Safari
Calculator
Google Maps
SpeedTest
Pocketpedia
other Apple apps I use include Calendar, Photos, Maps, Clock, Contacts & Health
Sidekick
Measure
ASI news to get current hay and auction prices on sheep.
Twitter during lambing
Slack occasionally
Apps I will be testing this coming summer include
Plant Snap.
Pasture Map
Canopeo
References available to me I use very rarely
First Aid
Pet First Aid
Know your Sheep
Google Earth
Google Drive
The rest are things like the app for the car, podcasts and other stuff that I’m considering deleting but since I have plenty of space I’ve just left on there for now.

Ipad Apps
Kindle
GoodReader
Omnifocus
DEVONThink
1Password
Scrivener
GoodNotes
Dropbox
AeonTimeline
Square App
Safari
Paper
Procreate
Google Drive
Google Docs
Google Sheets
Story Skeleton
Planimeter
Craftsy
SkyView Lite
ReunionTouch
My iPad is nearly out of space, in fact Ic an’t upgrade it to the latest 12 rev as no space so I limit what I keep on it. Biggest user of space is kindle.

1 Like

It’s not supposed to be spectacular, it’s the apps that work for you. Thanks for sharing your list :slight_smile:

Wow. That’s a long list of apps. It’s going to take some time check them all out. Thanks for sharing your list.

I also prefer BookPlayer’s interface over audible. But getting an Audible book to work with BookPlayer is quite a chore. That’s why, I am still sticking with Audible.

Things
Fantastical
Drafts
Due
Day One
Streaks
Microsoft Teams (for work)
TV Time
Inoreader (although mostly I use the web interface on the desktop and iPad).
TapeACall Pro (for recording phone interviews).
Otter.ai
DevonThink To Go
Microsoft Outlook
Castro

And, in the bottom right corner where it has lived for the past 10+ years - the one constant on my iPhone during all that time: Lose It, for daily, obsessive food tracking. Nearly every mouthful I consume gets logged in Lose It. I’ve lost 90 pounds and kept it off since 2011 with the help of that app.

Out of curiosity, how did it burn through 30 GB of data in a single day?

Overcast now does video podcasts. Also, its default is to download all subscribed podcasts.

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

That must be a rather recent feature, as I seem to recall I tried to do the video podcast thing with it a ways back and it didn’t work.

One of the things I like about Pocket Casts (aside from its being able to do video podcasts/feeds for years) is that it doesn’t automatically download podcasts (and it lets you choose when/how to download, eg WiFi-only, permission to use cellular). I subscribe to several dozen podcasts but always wait to read the episode blurbs to decide if I want to download a given episode (and I rarely do). I auto-download only maybe 4-5 podcasts by default, and they’re all weekly audio podcasts, so with the WiFi-download-only option checked I never really worry about data.

#

Also: the one app I’m embarrassed I forgot to mention, and which I probably use a half dozen times a day, is Due (iOS and Mac, synced via iCloud)

In no particular order:
Todoist Pro
Fantastical
CheapCharts
overcast
Audible
Carrot Weather
Goodreads
Find My
Hoopla
Libby
Kindle
ReadScripture
Panera Bread
YouTube

No need to be embarrassed. After all, our inability to remember seemingly obvious things is the foundation that Due is built on. It’s a lifesaver :grin:

I just love Due, airwhale!

1 Like

I had it set to not use cell data and there was a new episode of a podcast I wanted to listen to, so I let it use cell data, and I think it downloaded every episode of everything I had subscribed to - only audio but enough episodes to use up the whole plan amount, right at the start of the month. Our cell service condemned me and 2 other family members to dial up speed for the rest of the month. So now it’s in the doghouse, no more cell data.

1 Like

I used to love Put Things Off. It was the antidote to task managers. For example, if you had an event today, and there were things that just had to be done today and everything else could be later. I don’t think it’s around any more: https://thenextweb.com/apps/2010/11/22/try-this-put-things-off-an-easy-to-use-wonderfully-designed-iphone-task-manger/

But noticeably absent is mail, which I don’t do on iOS. You will note that in general there is a clear separation of apps between iPhone and iPad. It’s all part of my segregation of work to the device I can be most efficient at it.

2 Likes

Curious if there is a definitive way to figure out which apps you use most?

My list:

• Whatsapp
  • Drafts
  • AnyList
  • Gmail / Gcalendar
  • G maps
  • Tripit
  • RouteScout (hiking app)
  • Flipboard
  • Keepassium
  • Yahoo Finance
1 Like

You can check out screen time and see how long you use your apps.

1 Like

Apart from Apple’s first-party apps:

• OmniFocus
  • Working Copy
  • Overcast
  • Audible
  • 1Password
  • Drafts
  • iA Writer
  • Textastic
  • Operation World
  • Bear