Your Must-Have iPhone Apps List for 2020

I use my iPad more than my iPhone with most apps but do use both. My most used apps are:
Things
Drafts
GoodNotes
Cardhop
Dropbox
Day One
Ulysses (with Setapp it is free on iOS)
Pages
Soulver (although I use the OS version more often)
Shortcuts
Overcast
Mindnode
Screencasts Online
Jump
Carrot Weather
Headspace (new for me)

I guess Iā€™ll throw my list up here. :blush:

Apple

• Safari
  • Maps
  • Reminders
  • Mail
  • Calendar
  • Podcasts
  • Shortcuts
  • Remote (AppleTV)
  • Photos
  • Camera

3rd Party

• Halide
  • Carrot Weather
  • Olivetree Bible
  • Echo Prayer
  • Keep It
  • 1Password
  • DayOne
  • NetNewsWire
  • Eventail
  • Amazon Photos (auto-backup of camera roll)
  • Fantastical (for the month view widget)
  • Deliveries

I didnā€™t know that Operation World had an app. But now itā€™s on my phone too. Thanks, Andrew!

1 Like

So much easier than carrying around a large book! And I assume that it will get updated at least as frequently as the book :smile:

1 Like

Spark
Duolingo
Vipps (peer to peer payment in Norway)
Triple Tex (record expenses)
Mario Run (the kids love it)
Doctor Mario (the kids love it)
Bleak Sword (best iOS game)
Things
1Password
Headspace (meditation)
WhatsApp (Communication must, sadly)
Freedom (webside blocker keeps me on track)
DLF Audiothek (german culture radio app)
1Blocker (blockes adds online)

If youā€™ve invested in good quality audio gear, Tidalā€™s HIFI tier sounds great. I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Digital Audio Converter connected to my Mac and a pair of PreSonus studio monitors and the sound is fantastic. When Iā€™m listening on a Homepod or over the Mac speakers (I have a MBP 16", which sounds a lot better than most laptops), or my Sony headphones, there isnā€™t much difference. The DAC & speakers I have are the low tier of each (around $100 each), but thereā€™s a big difference, especially when itā€™s a ā€œmasterā€ quality track on Tidal.

1 Like

Enjoyed reading everyoneā€™s lists. I have a lot of overlap but will just list my top 5 in no particular order:

• Drafts
  • Day One
  • Castro
  • Fiery Feeds
  • VOX

OmniFocus could be on here but use it more on the Mac and iPad

USA Today
AppAdvice
Feeddler (Pro)
C3 Classifieds
Calendars 5
Star Walk
1Password
Fractio (shameless plug: I wrote it)

I canā€™t see a mention that video podcasts can now be downloaded or streamed to Overcast. I have been waiting for this feature for years.

Where can I find out about it? I canā€™t even see video podcasts recommended in search, or mentioned in the settings.

I apologize, I may have conflated two things - that you can now export video clips of podcasts, and you can auto-download podcasts. (I donā€™t use Overcast, and have been using Pocket Casts for years, in part precisely because it did video podcasts.)

Utterly terrific apps! I thank you!
-Katie

1 Like

For me, the most essential are:

• OmniFocus
  • Drafts
  • Fantastical
  • Lightroom
  • Dropbox (for its search in particular)
  • Cardhop
  • Mate Translator
  • Ulysses
  • 1Password

Hey Andrew ~ Curious how you use Drafts, iA Writer and Bear text editors? Do you have specific types of text you use each one for? Do you use Apple Notes as well?

These are always fun; nice to learn what everyone else is using. Here are mine:

OmniFocus
Shortcuts
TripIt
Paprika
Logos
Scrivener
Banktivity
Files
1Password
Apple Notes
Apple Music
Slopes/Strava/SwingU
Contacts+
(Two lawyer specific tools: iManage Work and iTimekeep)
MS Word (job hazard)
PDF Expert
Starbucks
Wallet/ApplePay

(Iā€™m excluding phone, e-mail, most communication tools, camera, calendar, and news apps, assuming those bread-and-butter apps arenā€™t what weā€™re talking about here.)

1 Like

Interesting. I never thought of using Working Copy for writing. I always considered it just a way to sync your work. How is the writing experience in the app?

My 2020 app list hasnā€™t changed much since 2019 :slight_smile:

(Not in any specific order and not counting Apple apps)

1. Spark (email)
  2. News Explorer (RSS)
  3. Overcast (Podcasts)
  4. Wunderground (weather)
  5. DiscourseHub (not sure)
  6. DEVONThink To Go
  7. Seeking Alpha (stocks)
  8. A variety of home automation apps since HomeKit doesnā€™t handle them all
  9. Todoist
  10. Safari (even though I am not including Apple apps)

A lot of others but those represent the majority of runtime.

Impressive! Congratulations on that!

1 Like

Apropos spring-cleaning season as per the latest AppStories podcast, this is something I was wondering about also.

Having been an MPU listener for years and tailoring and understanding my needs and what apps fit them, this is my list, and it hasnā€™t changed all that much in 3-4 years when I first had that feeling of now I know what all this is about:

For iPad and iPhone (in no particular order, except for the first three, which are the first apps I install on a new phone):

1. 1Password
  2. TextExpander
  3. Fantastical
  4. Drafts
  5. Bear
  6. Day One
  7. Grocery
  8. Paprika 3
  9. Streaks
  10. Calm
  11. WaterMinder
  12. Tweetbot
  13. Apollo
  14. Soulver
  15. YNAB
  16. Due
  17. KeepIt
  18. PDF Expert
  19. Scanbot
  20. iDoceo
  21. Focus
  22. MindNode
  23. Reeder
  24. Pocket
  25. Overcast
  26. TV Time
  27. Cinema Time
  28. Peak
  29. Carrot Weather
  30. Banca
  31. App in the Air
  32. 1Blocker
  33. Metapho
  34. Feed Hawk
  35. Pushcut

Okay, looking at that list. I obviously need to another spring cleaning session. But I just canā€™t do without many of these as they service some purpose and I use them a lot.

I forgot to add Grocery to my list. What a great app, an absolute joy to use. I even bought the lifetime license to support the developers.

After using it a while it now displays the correct list for four different supermarkets/shops based on location, so the correct list immediately comes up when the app is opened, and it has even learned the order of the products based on how I go around the shop. It reorders them automatically so the correct products are at the top at the start of my usual circuit around the shop.

One of my favorite apps, and the watch app is great too, does exactly what it needs to with no extra taps (unlike Reminders and other similar apps that are a pain to use on the Watch).

1 Like

Quick Question about it. If you put an item on the list can you select multiple stores where it can be bought and if then purchased and checked off at one store does it automatically get deleted off the needed list for all other stores where the item can be found?