10 tools I'm using to get things done in 2023

I’m just curious as to why you are concerned about Logseq/Obsidian plugins, but not Raycast plugins? I don’t use any of these apps, but have seen concern about each. Thanks.

I’m always interested in what installed apps are doing, but just because I didn’t mention concern with Raycast doesn’t mean that I didn’t review it and decide that there is an acceptable level of risk before installing; just like any other application.

Although both run node I think the risks are a little higher with Obsidian/Logseq. If you read comments from the developers of both Obsidian and Logseq it is clear that security is an issue from them as well; “Only install extensions from developers you trust”. There’s no mechanism to limit access to the filesystem (that I’m aware of and it hasn’t changed unless someone knows different?). Compare that to Raycast (who I’m not saying is perfect) and they have processes, code review, signing, etc. All extension are open source on both platforms and I’m really cautious about what I install, but Raycast has a much better model here.

I think some of this has to do with the target customer and business model. On the Raycast Slack there are always questions about cyber and they are “considering” official code audit and compliance. Way better than nothing IMO…

2 Likes

I’m trying out BusyCal now since I have a Setapp subscription and have time left on my Fantastical subscription.

Is there anything you’re missing from Fantastical?

I have been syncing one of my DT databases via a sync file on my Synology for a year and it has been flawless. At least as reliable as my other DT databases which are going through iCloud.

Most importantly, the input parser was better, which ultimately affected my automations. Here I still have to rewrite one or the other. On the iPad and iPhone, the widgets were better, among other things.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation on Eagle @beck. I’ve been looking for something like this for what seems like forever. I use Cleanshot for screen capture and edits and want to paste the edited screenshot somewhere afterwards for access throughout the day/weeks.

I’ve tried Yoink, Screenfloat, PureRef, Gladys. None of them have worked how I want them to work completely. I think Eagle might be pretty good for my needs.

1 Like

I use JohnnyDecimal inside Google Drive! Works a charm. Best of both worlds, full heirarchical stack + full search either locally or online. Win win

4 Likes

Can you use Eagle to store all your photos?

Switch to Plex with Plexamp for music for my home collection. After years of iCloud match and iTunes, I decided to try South hosting on my NAS this also works out better for sharing my entire music collection with all the family members. I also have control over the metadata without Apple Music messing it up.

I once looked at Roon, but it was way too expensive compared to Plex

Can you give some examples of what makes Raycast better than Alfred?

Does Raycast support custom website search and searching within specific folders?

• Calendar: BusyCal
  • Email: switched from Spark (loved it before the transition) to Apple Mail
  • Task management: GoodTask, a lot of features on top of Apple Reminders
  • Notes: Apple Notes (and Drafts)
  • Asset management: good ol’ Finder
  • Passwords: Apple Keychain and stock integrated password manager fulfill all my needs
  • Text automation: aText
  • Tools: Alfred, Hazel, Moom, BetterTouchTool, Paste, AltTab, HazeOver, Shifty, Bunch, Carbon Copy Cloner, PopClip, Yoink, Dropover, Default Folder X, TripMode, Shottr (free Cleanshot X alternative), Time Machine, … Should I continue? :slight_smile: :crazy_face:

I also use Plexamp for my music. Like it a lot.

I’m probably going to start using it on the iPhone instead of Roon Arc as I just can’t rely on Roon working. I’m on lifetime for both Plex and Roon so will switch back if/when Roon Arc is stable for me.

Does Plexamp scrobble?

I don’t know that word. Sorry.

Sorry! Syncing with Last.fm to update play counts.

They have multiple extensions for fine-tuned customized searching of various web sites.

Not sure about searching within a specific folder vs. universal search

I don’t know. I just listen to music and don’t count anything :grinning:

• Calendar: Apple Calendar and Jibun Techo Biz mini B6 Slim paper planner
  • Email: switched from Spark (loved it before the transition) and from practically everything else to Apple Mail
  • Task management: Apple Reminders
  • Notes: Keep It from practically everything else.
  • Asset management: good ol’ Finder from EagleFiler, DT3Pro
  • Passwords: Apple Keychain and stock integrated password manager fulfill all my needs
  • Text automation: nothing
  • Tools: Tembo, PCalc, Visioneer Scan
  • Accounting: Corona

Curious to why you use both Yoink and Dropover.

Great thread!

Here’s my list:

1. Email: MailMate - This is a powerhouse app that is highly customizable and I love the correspondence view. It shows all the previous emails from that sender when an email is selected. We can quickly select them all/most and delete etc. Makes it very quick to breeze through tons of email. I use this to manage 17 email accounts.
  2. Launcher: Alfred and LaunchBar - Switched from Raycast back to Alfred because Alfred is quicker + it retains the last search/command. In Raycast, I had to press ↑. LaunchBar is secondary and I use it only for its Instant Send feature. Amazes me how not many know what/how awesome it is.
  3. Task management: Reminders for shopping list (shared with wife + I use Siri in phone and watch to add stuff) and Things for everything else.
  4. Notes: Anybox for quick notes and Notion for longish notes/docs. Exploring Craft atm. Also discovered Logseq thanks to this topic. Will be trying it out in the coming weeks.
  5. Passwords: 1Password.
  6. Text expansion: Typinator.
  7. Clipboard manager: Paste.
  8. Storage: iCloud Drive - “There is no spoon!”
  9. Bookmark manager: Switched from Raindrop to Anybox. Anybox doesn’t have all the bells & whistles of Raindrop but it’s nimble and I like the developer’s philosophy of “Easy In” and “Easy Out”. I am absolutely loving this app. Using this to store snippets of text from webpages or other places, to write quick notes (via Alfred), to store images and other files with appropriate tags, for bookmarks of course. It can replace several apps and their website does a poor job of marketing it imo.
    10: Last but not the least: Bartender, BetterTouchTool, CleanShot X, Core Shell, Dash, Default Folder X, Downie, Droplr, Folx, Gestimer, HazeOver, Hookmark, Keyboard Maestro, KomodoDecks, Path Finder, PixelSnap, PopClip, Sip, Soulver, Trickster, Yoink.
3 Likes