1Password Alternatives

Well folks, now that we’ve all had a few months to test things out, where are we with 1Password alternatives? The last thread on this was hundreds of responses long, so it got a bit difficult to parse, so I figured a new thread might be useful.

Personally, I thought for a while I’d just learn to live with the electron garbage. My plan was to run 7 for as long as possible, and then move to 8 with the rest of my team at work. But then 1Password announced that they were “partnering” with crypto companies, and that’s where I draw the line. (I’m not interested in having a discussion about crypto currencies, blockchain, or anything other than 1Password alternatives.)

My secondary thought was to move everything over to native Safari password manager, and that’s worked mostly ok. There are still a few things that 1P did better, like being able to quickly retrieve passwords that aren’t used in a web browser. i.e. ssh keys, application passwords, command line MFA codes, etc…

I’m looking at Secrets right now, but I still haven’t decided on it. I’m not sure if I could integrate it into my workflow properly or not. I’ve also considered going the other direction entirely and dumping everything into the gopass command line password manager, since I spend all day on the command line anyway.

What about everyone else?

1 Like

There are a lot of alternatives that have been discussed in other threads. I have settled on Bitwarden and have stopped looking. I find that if not kept in check, I will explore alternative after alternative and not get anything else done.

7 Likes

My alternative to 1Password is 1Password. I’m happy with what I’ve got, and am not interested in researching anything.

13 Likes

I’m participating in two 1Password beta programs that improved my assessment of 1Password (enough to stay on board).

The partnering with Crypto players (who are often wasting valuable/scarce natural resources) has returned my doubts…

Maybe I misunderstood, so someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the partnering with crypto companies seemed to me like a big press release about a not very big deal. To my layman’s eyes it looked like they’re just adding fields to 1PW for things that are specifically relevant to crypto (like crypto keys or whatever), and 1PW will be smart about surfacing those fields for you when you’re on certain crypto sites. I saw it less as a whole-cloth embracing of crypto and all that goes along with it, and more an acknowledgement that enough 1PW customers want to store their crypto info in 1PW so they’re making it easier for them. I didn’t see anything about 1PW using blockchain for anything themselves, or getting into the crypto game.

Is there more to the story than that? (Specifically I mean more to what 1PW announced, not more to Crypto – I understand why people don’t like it.)

4 Likes

Agreed. It’s not like 1Password is helping people mine for crypto, they’re helping people store highly sensitive information — which is the core of their app.

7 Likes

Same, and another vote for Bitwarden. It’s inexpensive, secure, and does everything I need it to do.

same for me here. I do not see any impact of being an electronic app. On the contrary, I see the browsers plug in / extension are getting better.

4 Likes

I never run beta security software on my machines so I’ll be waiting for the release version of 1pw v8 to make up my mind. But after 14 years it will have to be pretty bad for me to consider changing.

I went with Enpass, no cloud required.

2 Likes

+1 on Bitwarden - I dipped my toes into Bitwarden waters in January. I deleted all my 1PW data a few weeks later and I am still happy with Bitwarden.

2 Likes

You could already store Crypto related info in 1Password.

For years people have been requesting more (not Crypto related) templates (not even integrations, like this one) that have always been refused, but AgileBits did add this.

Additionally they wrote:

This is the first of many partnerships that we’ve been working on in the cryptocurrency space.

I’m not leaving ship (yet?), but will be paying attention to these other Crypto partnerships.

Not sure I understand the issues with 1password partnering with crypto companies. They’ve partnered with FastMail and privacy.com as well. What is it about the crypto partnership that’s more problematic than FastMail and others?

And I’m not sure if it’s a real “partnership”. Not doubting anyone; just haven’t looked into it enough to know.

For me: Crypto usually means wasting significant valuable/scarce natural resources for “Proof of work”.

1 Like

I’m happy to read this because I thought I was the only one.

I switched to 1Password from Lastpass several years ago and have generally been very happy. I’m not on any beta, so maybe the next big update will ruin my experience, but I’m good with 1Password for now. I also feel like an outlier in that I think this is exactly the kind of app where a subscription model makes sense. Regular performance (interoperability) and security updates are essential. Lifetime licenses just wouldn’t fund that, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I don’t find electron to be garbage, nor do I have any issues w/ 1PW storing crypto data, nor did I ever find an alternative that works for me like 1PW does. I prefer it over Keepass, BitWarden, LastPass, etc. So my only advice would be to get over your crypto issues and stay with 1PW since it’s already working…

3 Likes

My alternative to 1Password is 1Password.

:+1:

It’s not like 1Password is helping people mine for crypto,

I just said I didn’t want to get into a conversation about crypto.

I do not see any impact of being an electronic app.

Ok…

What is it about the crypto partnership that’s more problematic than FastMail and others?

Guys, that’s off topic.

I’m good with 1Password for now.

:+1:

I don’t find electron to be garbage, nor do I have any issues w/ 1PW storing crypto data, nor did I ever find an alternative that works for me like 1PW does…

Guys…

get over your crypto issues and stay with 1PW

I see. That’s not going to happen. My personal values do not align at all with anything that I’ve seen in cryptocurrency or those moronic NFTs. I was on the fence with 1Password before their involvement with, and tacit approval of, cryptocurrency. Now I can no longer support the company in good conscience. This is not open to debate.

I had hoped there might be some hidden gem like what 1Password used to be out there that I hadn’t heard of that the MPU crowd knew of. I guess not.

2 Likes

some hidden gem

No one has mentioned RoboForm – I have no idea if it is still a good solution, but I used it on Windows for years and then on Mac for a long time before switching to 1P a decade ago. I really liked RoboForm, at the time.

And, for good basic stuff and cross-platform compatibility there’s always the Keychain service that you already own.

I did the same… roboform for years until I got a mac…
I know people who still use it from back in the day when I recommended Roboform to them and they swear by it… so I gather it’s still pretty good.

1 Like

Most of the same players that have been in this space for years. If you dig into the companies, I’ll bet you find something you don’t like about each one of them. If I did (dig) I probably would too. I’ll prefer to plead ignorance.