1Password Alternatives

You need to factor a sizable satisfied silent contingent into these things. :slight_smile:

I think just about every good alternative has been covered, unfortunately. It’s not easy to create a complete product with enough track record to be trustworthy in this segment.

totally agreed. I do not think there is a ‘perfect’ app for anything that EVERYONE likes. There are always some pros and cons and personal preferences. An app looks good one day may also fail to lead when the competitors catch up.

Personally, I choose the app based on OVERALL rating of functionality, value for money, privavy and security, track record for after sales support. These are just my own criteria. Others would have theirs.

I just use iCloud Keychain. Really good integration across devices of course, and I don’t have any non-Apple devices. What do these paid services provide that iCloud Keychain doesn’t?

1 Like

For personal use, I settled on keepass. I have a guide on migrating from 1p. I don’t know if there’s a good implementation for team usage.

1 Like

The new iCloud Keychain is a big improvement but it is missing several features, that may or may not be important to you. Here’s a few 1PW features that I find very helpful.

Keychain only works with Safari. If I want to occasionally use Chrome, Brave, or Firefox, etc. I can still use 1PW.

I store copies of my drivers license, passport, covid vaccination card, birth certificate, etc. as well as copies of my income tax records in 1PW, and I can share some or all of my passwords with family members (with a family plan).

My 1PW account is protected by a combination of two long complex passwords. My iCloud keychain is protected only by my logon password. I don’t want to type in a 27 character randomly generated password every time I boot my Mac.

It has a travel mode that allows me to travel with just those accounts that I really need on the trip. Or, if I choose, I can delete 1PW and reinstall it after I crossed the border and have access to all my information. And 1PW can tell me if my passwords, etc. have been compromised.

Hi,

To store passwords for apps, mail servers etc just create an entry and add .com to the end .
You can then edit it and add notes etc. I find that Apple’s Password Manager is a more than capable replacement for 1Password

3 Likes

Thanks for that info - that’s the main reason I’ve stuck with Bitwarden.

Where are you entering that? I go to passwords in settings and appear to be able to ‘update password information’ but you have ‘update account information’… the main difference being I have no notes field.

I too would like to know that.

No, it’s on topic. Was simply trying to understand if you saw this as security issue. Kind of relevant when discussing a password manager…

Has anyone given Minimalist a try? There’s a couple of mentions of it on these forums, but other than one or two users there’s not much feedback.

It scratches a few not-very-practical itches I have – small developer, different pricing options, apparent simplicity.

It does sync through iCloud and is Apple only, which is probably a deal-breaker for some.

I know this isn’t the answer you’re wanting, but I think as time goes on you’ll find the same sort of crypto deals with other password managers. My gut feeling is that any of these password managers who are going to brag that they aren’t involved in crypto will do so once they see an avenue for them to do it, sort of like Samsung making ads mocking Apple for removing the headphone jack, only to do the same thing a couple of years later.

For an Apple-orientied setup Secrets could be a pretty interesting option. I haven’t gotten round to testing it myself but it seems to be quite well made. The kind of indie Mac software we all love. One-time $20 purchase, uses iCloud for sync. And no Electron, just SwiftUI.

Personally, I’m sticking with 1Password for now. The use Electron is unfortunate but I don’t feel like migrating everything to another service. Also, having support that quickly responds and can provide you with help is a valuable thing. The crypto thing is a little weird but it’s just storing the wallet data, not the actual currency itself so I guess it’s fine.

I read up on the mechanics of bitcoin/blockchain when it first arrived on the scene. That’s the extent of my knowledge, so AFAIK a “mnemonic seed” could be something from an old Keanu Reeves movie.

Serious question: What difference does it make if 1PW adds the ability to generate and/or store credentials to use a crypto wallet?

OP repeatedly said he doesn’t want to engage in this discussion. It’s very much like climate changes. People tend to hold drastically different views and stubborn to change. If you are interested in the negative impact cryptocurrencies and NFTs brought to this world, there’re millions of resources on Google. This forum is really not suitable for that discussion IMHO.

3 Likes

Hi,

I should have mentioned I am running the 12.3 beta which includes the Notes field in the Password settings. This enables you to enter additional info such as Server settings etc.

For my use this latest update along with the inclusion of the Verification code for two-factor authentication basically Sherlocks 1Passwords password function.

As a tip add this Shortcut to open up the Password preference pane via your Dock or Menu Bar.

Cheers

Iain

2 Likes

I was asking a technical question. I couldn’t care less about crypto currency.

1 Like

I tried Minimalist. I really wanted to like it but I didn’t.

I settled on Strongbox

2 Likes

Me too. I‘m trying strongbox now for a few weeks and I really like it. I have it locally on my Synology but using both master password and keyfile as second secret I think I would also be fine having the file synced via iCloud Works also fine with apples PW manager so I can have both exist in parallel. For 2FA I use Microsoft Authenticator. I used the strongbox support via Reddit and twitter and I‘m really impressed on how quick they reply.

I must have missed something when I tried strongbox. To me it just seemed like a few rather minor improvements over keychain. Somebody enlighten me?