1Password Alternatives

Thanks all! Minimalist and Strongbox look great, but the 12.3 built in password manager looks like the winner to me.

Aren’t we free to post what we want that’s on topic and respectful of others? Isn’t that the whole point? OP doesn’t have to discuss; it was posted for all to comment. Or am I incorrect?

Also, like @WayneG my comment was related to the technica/security implications (3rd party integrations?).

I get respecting others wishes, but if it’s that sensitive a subject maybe posting on a public forum isn’t the best idea…

1 Like

No need to use iCloud to share the password file between iOS and MacOS

1 Like

Minimalist is a total win in my experience. The developer welcomes suggestions/criticisms and acts on them in a timely fashion. I used 1Password since it was spelled 1Passwd in v.1 and I was a huge fan with, eventually a family account. I kept secure notes, log-ins, software registrations, passport numbers, credit card info, etc in 1Password and I continue to do that it Minimalist. I also maintain log-ins in iCloud Keychain Passwords for convenience but it will not hold all the secure data I wish to have in a single secure location. Maybe it will someday but I don’t see it happening.

I encourage people to try Minimalist and look at the change log to see how far it has progressed.

Thank you VERY MUCH for sharing that shortcut for Passwords that works on MacOS and iOS. Much appreciated!

I’ve used Bitwarden since before it was cool. I do like it, especially the password sharing, Send (for sending secure files), and it’s flexible password generator. But it’s disappointing that the Mac (really the Safari extension) seems like an afterthought. For whatever reason, when they switched to the new extension architecture, they can’t produce the full pull down, so you get a scroll bar you don’t get in FireFox. And that was probably a year ago.

I liked Minimalist very much. But it being only available in Safari on Mac is not great for my use. I will continue to look at it, but for now BitWarden is working very well for me.

Strongbox is using a keepass database so you can store a huge variety of secure items. Compared too this keychain is still somehow limited to fill out of username password Tupfes and secure notes. So the functionality is more like 1PW than Keychain.
Also you could transfer your whole vault easily to Linux or windows or whatever new and fancy operating system might pop up in the future as the keepass db can be accessed with a Bariton of tools on different platforms.

2 Likes