1Password Alternatives

Agreed. It’s not like 1Password is helping people mine for crypto, they’re helping people store highly sensitive information — which is the core of their app.

7 Likes

Same, and another vote for Bitwarden. It’s inexpensive, secure, and does everything I need it to do.

same for me here. I do not see any impact of being an electronic app. On the contrary, I see the browsers plug in / extension are getting better.

4 Likes

I never run beta security software on my machines so I’ll be waiting for the release version of 1pw v8 to make up my mind. But after 14 years it will have to be pretty bad for me to consider changing.

I went with Enpass, no cloud required.

2 Likes

+1 on Bitwarden - I dipped my toes into Bitwarden waters in January. I deleted all my 1PW data a few weeks later and I am still happy with Bitwarden.

2 Likes

You could already store Crypto related info in 1Password.

For years people have been requesting more (not Crypto related) templates (not even integrations, like this one) that have always been refused, but AgileBits did add this.

Additionally they wrote:

This is the first of many partnerships that we’ve been working on in the cryptocurrency space.

I’m not leaving ship (yet?), but will be paying attention to these other Crypto partnerships.

Not sure I understand the issues with 1password partnering with crypto companies. They’ve partnered with FastMail and privacy.com as well. What is it about the crypto partnership that’s more problematic than FastMail and others?

And I’m not sure if it’s a real “partnership”. Not doubting anyone; just haven’t looked into it enough to know.

For me: Crypto usually means wasting significant valuable/scarce natural resources for “Proof of work”.

1 Like

I’m happy to read this because I thought I was the only one.

I switched to 1Password from Lastpass several years ago and have generally been very happy. I’m not on any beta, so maybe the next big update will ruin my experience, but I’m good with 1Password for now. I also feel like an outlier in that I think this is exactly the kind of app where a subscription model makes sense. Regular performance (interoperability) and security updates are essential. Lifetime licenses just wouldn’t fund that, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I don’t find electron to be garbage, nor do I have any issues w/ 1PW storing crypto data, nor did I ever find an alternative that works for me like 1PW does. I prefer it over Keepass, BitWarden, LastPass, etc. So my only advice would be to get over your crypto issues and stay with 1PW since it’s already working…

3 Likes

My alternative to 1Password is 1Password.

:+1:

It’s not like 1Password is helping people mine for crypto,

I just said I didn’t want to get into a conversation about crypto.

I do not see any impact of being an electronic app.

Ok…

What is it about the crypto partnership that’s more problematic than FastMail and others?

Guys, that’s off topic.

I’m good with 1Password for now.

:+1:

I don’t find electron to be garbage, nor do I have any issues w/ 1PW storing crypto data, nor did I ever find an alternative that works for me like 1PW does…

Guys…

get over your crypto issues and stay with 1PW

I see. That’s not going to happen. My personal values do not align at all with anything that I’ve seen in cryptocurrency or those moronic NFTs. I was on the fence with 1Password before their involvement with, and tacit approval of, cryptocurrency. Now I can no longer support the company in good conscience. This is not open to debate.

I had hoped there might be some hidden gem like what 1Password used to be out there that I hadn’t heard of that the MPU crowd knew of. I guess not.

2 Likes

some hidden gem

No one has mentioned RoboForm – I have no idea if it is still a good solution, but I used it on Windows for years and then on Mac for a long time before switching to 1P a decade ago. I really liked RoboForm, at the time.

And, for good basic stuff and cross-platform compatibility there’s always the Keychain service that you already own.

I did the same… roboform for years until I got a mac…
I know people who still use it from back in the day when I recommended Roboform to them and they swear by it… so I gather it’s still pretty good.

1 Like

Most of the same players that have been in this space for years. If you dig into the companies, I’ll bet you find something you don’t like about each one of them. If I did (dig) I probably would too. I’ll prefer to plead ignorance.

You need to factor a sizable satisfied silent contingent into these things. :slight_smile:

I think just about every good alternative has been covered, unfortunately. It’s not easy to create a complete product with enough track record to be trustworthy in this segment.

totally agreed. I do not think there is a ‘perfect’ app for anything that EVERYONE likes. There are always some pros and cons and personal preferences. An app looks good one day may also fail to lead when the competitors catch up.

Personally, I choose the app based on OVERALL rating of functionality, value for money, privavy and security, track record for after sales support. These are just my own criteria. Others would have theirs.

I just use iCloud Keychain. Really good integration across devices of course, and I don’t have any non-Apple devices. What do these paid services provide that iCloud Keychain doesn’t?

1 Like

For personal use, I settled on keepass. I have a guide on migrating from 1p. I don’t know if there’s a good implementation for team usage.

1 Like

The new iCloud Keychain is a big improvement but it is missing several features, that may or may not be important to you. Here’s a few 1PW features that I find very helpful.

Keychain only works with Safari. If I want to occasionally use Chrome, Brave, or Firefox, etc. I can still use 1PW.

I store copies of my drivers license, passport, covid vaccination card, birth certificate, etc. as well as copies of my income tax records in 1PW, and I can share some or all of my passwords with family members (with a family plan).

My 1PW account is protected by a combination of two long complex passwords. My iCloud keychain is protected only by my logon password. I don’t want to type in a 27 character randomly generated password every time I boot my Mac.

It has a travel mode that allows me to travel with just those accounts that I really need on the trip. Or, if I choose, I can delete 1PW and reinstall it after I crossed the border and have access to all my information. And 1PW can tell me if my passwords, etc. have been compromised.