1Password - Frustrations

Most of the Internet agrees with your choice. In January desktop Chrome users were 66.59% of the total, and Edge was 8.33 giving Chromium browsers a total of 74.92%. Safari was 10.38%. Safari does better on mobile with 25.68%. Mobile Chrome is 61.35%.

My iPad Pro is my primary computer so using Safari on IOS and Mac whenever possible is my best choice.

You may be right. After hardware, apps and services probably make the most money. I suspect iCloud and Siri, etc. don’t bring in the big bucks and therefore remain at the bottom of Apple’s To Do list.

Nooo, that’d be a real pain the backside.

Things I’ve been frustrated by:

• On Firefox at least, automatically saving logins to the 1P keychain seems broken/inconsistent. I can’t find the setting to make it work like it did in Chrome, and now I’m wondering if it even worked in Chrome.
  • Sometimes it shows me two of the exact same login for a site, and I have no idea why. (I imported passwords from Chrome awhile ago; that could be it.) It would be nice if it had some sort of duplicate checker. (Edit: I found out it does, but it’s buried under the Help menu.)
  • When the Suggestions menu isn’t helpful, it’s very hard to get to whatever would be helpful instead. The whole menu block just has… a lot of useless pixels.
  • You can’t set “expose to browser” vs. “don’t expose to browser” for individual sections, only entire entries.

Overall, it just feels clunky, and not very slick. The killer app for me is the secure notes/documents, and the ability to save lots of metadata under every entry, but I’m wondering if there isn’t an equally good solution for that.

3 Likes

I completely agree with these frustrations and have run into the same issues. Additionally, more than once 1Password has asked if I wanted to update the password for a website I already had entered. When I clicked yes it copied the dots as the password, LOL and I ended up locked out of my bank account. I do like the metadata feature, the ability to share with others, and the ability to include docs. I think there is a lot of work that needs to be done to make it a little more reliable and seemless.

Yes - that is really irritating (though not really a problem), but I did wonder if it is intentional to get one using 1password instead of the keychain - but that would be a bit petty …

I have a different issue on my IPADOS. I turned on face ID to unlock but for some reason 1P keeps asking me to key in the master password, that is obviously painful. Wondering this is just me ?

I can’t even get the latest update to install. It tells me that it failed to quit the previous version, even though I’ve gone in and exited manually. Now it’s telling me that it can’t install right now and try again later.

One thing that really annoys me is when I’m creating a new password for a web page in Safari, I’ll get suggested passwords from both 1Password and Safari at the same time. Which should I choose? Can I turn one of them off?

I think there’s a time limit or a “after a reboot” sort of restriction. Mine asks sometimes, but far from every time.

@fuzzygal - after a restart, I will always go into 1p to type my master password directly. Then it will function like normal in all apps.

@dajashby, settings > passwords > autofill passwords. I disable allow filling from keychain here.

Did you hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar, or did you only select Quit?

https://support.1password.com/mac-app-store-cannot-be-open/

1 Like

Yes if you turn off auto fill forms in Safari it stops the password prompts from keychain

1 Like

I too have been quite annoyed/frustrated by 1P as of late. My brain is tired and I can’t go into specifics, but it just feels like a ‘death by 1,000 cuts’ scenario lately. Here’s one scenario that comes to mind:
(on iPhone)
I use 1p to enter a .gov site. The login email text field is on one page, the password text field on the next. I have several logins to different .gov sites and the first option that populates above the keyboard is not the right one so i tap on the key icon to expand the list. It’s not in the list that pops up so faceID scans my face, the 1P card pops up and I tap on the correct option.
When the next webpage loads with the password text field, you would think that the option I just tapped on would populate. But it doesn’t. Nor does it populate when I hit the key icon. So I have to repeat the entire process. It seems very unintuitive.

That’s just one example. I do like 1P but it’s slowly starting to make it’s way to the ‘I love this app but it drives me crazy’ category.

2 Likes

That’s an iOS thing, it drives me nuts too - but it happens with the native safari keychain as well. I did file feedback with Apple on that, sadly they’re the ones that have to fix it.

5 Likes

Agreed about that frustration. I have the same issue especially with gmail.

Thanks for the tip on checking for duplicate items. I tried it and it says I have no duplicate items. Yet when I click into a login text field, it still shows two identical results. I wonder if this is the result of my personal vault and shared family vault results showing up?

This would be my guess, for what it’s worth.

If you copied the entry from one vault to the other instead of moving it, you’ll have two independent items and thus they’ll both show up in suggested items if the extension is set to show items from All Vaults.

I typically move items rather than copy them because I can always ensure that I’m seeing items from multiple vaults across the apps & extensions. More importantly, that way I know there aren’t duplicates or situations where one iteration of the item gets changed, leaving the other with incorrect info.

That’s a method I had not thought of. Thanks for sharing. I just recently discovered that if a password is updated in my personal vault, it doesn’t automatically update in the shared vault, which I assumed was the default behavior.
And I can confirm that once I unchecked the shared vault in Preferences > Vaults > Show in all vaults, the ‘duplicate’ items disappeared.

I’ll also add that if you’re concerned about, for example, a relative accidentally changing something in a shared vault, you have options for avoiding or recovering from that situation.

You could pre-emptively make sure that the people in each vault have only “view” permissions, for instance. Or, if it’s already too late, you can access the entire history of passwords for an entry using the dropdown menu beside the password field in the entry itself. It’s only visible if there have been changes to the password since the entry was made, so if the password was never changed you won’t see that menu item.

Just wanted to mention because I know that was something that made me initially copy items instead of moving them with shared vaults before I realized that moving almost always makes more sense for these sorts of common situations.

1 Like

The history of passwords has proven useful a couple of times for me.

2 Likes

Thanks @marius, I didn’t know about restricting permissions or the password history feature. Awesome, thanks. I guess I need to do more digging around in the app.

But to keep in line with the OP’s thread, here’s another frustration: Sometimes clicking on ‘Open and Fill’ does nothing. I need to click on it multiple times for it to actually happen.

1 Like