1Password - Frustrations

I just ran into the 1Password history problem today after upgrading to 1Password 8. I read through the discussions on the Agile Bits forums and am surprised and concerned that they don’t understand the use case for password histories. Did I miss something? Was this fixed? Have password histories been moved elsewhere?

Example:
To change a password on a site, you frequently need to enter your old password before entering a new one. So, you go to 1Password, copy and paste the old password to the web site, then go back into 1Password, generate a new password, copy and paste it into the appropriate fields on the website. If there is an issue such as the password being too long or not meeting the security requirements, then you have to try again. However, at this point the old password is gone from 1Password so you cannot change it on the site unless you request a password reset and the password history is not available.

3 Likes

I can see password histories:

same here, I can access to the old passwords. In fact, I had to do that regularly, especially when setting up new log in for new sites , together with Fastmail masked email. For me it is working as advertised

Have you tried this on any browser except Safari? I’ve been having a number of non-1password problems with Safari the last couple of months.

I see many historical passwords, some going back many years.

I share the desire for a full-fledged password-being-changed record state. Even though the archives exist, I sometimes find myself stashing the old password somewhere if I’m not confident the new password will work on the site.

3 Likes

Thanks. I can see my password histories now. Not sure why they weren’t showing earlier but then again I was working with one current entry and didn’t check many of them.

I’ve been using Enpass for over a year now and I find it entirely acceptable, although it is not as polished as 1Password 7, and it has some quirks. The one thing that convinced me to try it is that your passwords never leave your network. The macOS app is free.

The other favorite here seems to be Strongbox.

1 Like

I can relate. I’m still in the “why did Apple change that!” phase of checking out iOS 16.

1 Like

I haven’t. I pretty much use safari exclusively.