1Password - significant backslide?

Is anyone else here also unhappy with the latest 1Password updates on MacOS?

This has nothing to do with electron vs native - it has everything to do with basic functionality and the user experience. Both have degraded significantly with recent releases. In previous versions (IP6 and earlier) the app reliable, easy to use, and a delight to use. None of these are true anymore.

Or is it just me? Kinda doubt it - their forum is lettered with complaints.

I hope the devs at 1Password listen to their community and address these concerns.

3 Likes

I mainly use the Browser extension on the Mac. Is 1P 8 still in Beta?

If so, they may add extra features in before release.

What are the worst parts for you? We might be able to suggest something.

One suggestion is to try to use 8’s global autofill more. I think the default shortcut is cmd+shift+space.

1 Like

I’m very happy with 1Password 8 on Mac, it works better for me then 1PW 7 did, also performance and resource usage is fine.

I like the Quick Access feature they added in 1PW 8, I use a keyboard shortcut to have quick access to 1PW.

11 Likes

Longtime user of 1PW here (since v3).

I cannot stand the user-hostile decisions AgileBits has made recently (I don’t care about Electron vs native) but I think it’s fair to say that 1PW 8 is superior to nearly every way on my Mac, PC and iPhone.

3 Likes

It took me a week or so to get used to the changes in v8 but I’ve not had any problems.

1 Like

Could you clarify what you mean by this?

2 Likes

Like many here, I’m a long time user of 1PW. I’m fine with v8. I’ve encountered no problems and I prefer the new GUI. To save a subscription I tried to rely on KeyChain but other than logging into websites, I found it inadequate for my needs—perhaps one day….

1 Like

Same here. I’ve been a happy user of v8 since the beta. I know there’s a lot of complaining in the 1P forums but I for one haven’t run into any issues, and the new UI is much nicer on the eye.

1 Like

Yes had a problem the safari plugin constantly disconnects and requires a restart of both safari and 1P

Not sure who is the culprit here, leaning towards safari rhough

1 Like

I’ve had so many problems with Safari I’ve stopped using it. Until it is fixed I’m using MS Edge and Chrome. No problems with 1PW v8 on either of them.

1 Like

I am using 1p8 and could not find any issue, can you be more specific in what way that 1p8 is going backwards?

I haven’t had any issues/problems with 1PW8 recently. I was concerned about the switch to Electron initially, but have been pleasantly surprised so far.

1 Like

I’m loving the new version. It feels easier to use, with far fewer little annoyances.

1 Like

I’m liking 1P8 and find it more useful that 7 was. A recent update allows for 1P8 to fill in my VPN login from Pulse Secure, it’s and app window not a web page. Also the quick search and copying OTPs is a welcome addition.

1 Like

The same here with Safari. I am using Firefox and I am having no issues with 1Password on Mac or iOS.

1 Like

I’ve been using 1PW7 for a year now and am still very happy with it. No degradation in UX or functionality that I have noticed; very reliable, not buggy, no need to restart. Still very happy that I switched from Dashlane and am glad that may report that 1PW8 is even better than 1PW7.

I’ve been using 1PW since 2014 (version 4.1.2) but I really feel like the experience was downgraded with 1PW8.

Shortcuts don’t work the same way. Sometimes, like right now, CMD + \ just doesn’t work. Don’t know why. So I move to CMD + Option + \ and that works, but then I enter the website I want to go to and press enter and 1PW thinks I’m trying to fill in fields. The idea that I have to use Option + Enter to open in the browser is frustrating. Also, CMD + \ doesn’t fill in credit card info anymore. I have to go through the Safari plugin. Finally, when in the app and searching for something, I need to enter CMD + Enter to show the search result. If I type Enter, like I always did, it goes to the selected item but doesn’t show search results. No! Nothing else on the Mac works like that.

Put simply, a lot of the muscle memory I’ve acquired over the years is now obsolete and I have no idea why. None of the changes affecting my user experience seem to be the result of new features that I’d want. So yeah, bottom line, it’s the first time since 2014 that I’ve considered moving to another password manager and am waiting to see what Apple does with passkey. I’m actually bummed out. I don’t want to move, but since 1PW8, the friction is real.

4 Likes

maybe try empty caches in develop menu?

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve tried that and everything else in my bag of tricks. I suspect it’s something Apple has done to increase privacy/security, but have no proof.

1 Like