1Password.....to subscribe or not to subscribe?

I just started my 1Password 7 trial this morning. When I installed the Mac OS version, it gave me the option of buying a standalone license for about $65.

2 Likes

Looking at this thread again now that Safari 13 has broken the iPassword 6 extensionā€¦

What happens when you update? They copy your vault onto their server?

Itā€™s been a while since I set up my Family account.

If I recall correctly, they created new, empty vaults (personal and shared in my case). I then dragged the items from the local vault to the new vault within the Mac app.

1 Like

Mine created a new online vault and gave me the choice to automatically copy everything across iirc

Could you clarify - is a family account up to 5 separate instances of 1password or is it one account with up to 5 ā€˜personalā€™ vaults?

Am also reluctantly looking at this after Safari upgraded automatically

It is up to five instances of 1Password that the admin grants access to the vaults. Each person has a personal vault that only they can access.

So, as an example - We have five people on the account, and multiple vaults. As the admin, I donā€™t see their 1Password accounts. But, I control access to the vaults, except their ā€œpersonalā€ vault.

• We have a shared vault that the whole family has access.
  • My wife and I share a vault. (Our kids donā€™t have access).
  • No one sees the items in my personal vault.
1 Like

Might be a bit off topic - then again, maybe notā€¦

I purchased 1Password when it released to iOS years ago, and have kept iCloud sync between iOS devices on since forever.

As I only have an iPad Pro & an iPhone on iOS 13, would it make any sense to subscribe?
I mean, I already have iCloud sync, and donā€™t need family features or the Holiday feature - so am I really missing out by not subscribing?

It works better when sharing vaults among different users. My wife and I have access to each otherā€™s vaults but donā€™t have to deal with each otherā€™s passwords on a daily basis. Hard to do that with iCloud sync. Works ok with Dropbox but I prefer the way that the family plan works.

Travel mode is one reason I switched to a subscription. I like being able to limit the information I have with me when I travel internationally. Or occasionally when I travel within 100 miles of a border.

Plus, Iā€™ve relied on 1PW since 2008 and donā€™t mind paying a subscription for something I find so valuable.

2 Likes

I see, weā€™ll Iā€™m strictly one-user-onky, though.

I agree 100% with you which is why I bought the app back in 2008 - but I canā€™t see why the subscription in my case is worth the extrašŸ¤”

But thanks for the reply :grin:

I like Bitwarden (https://bitwarden.com/). It can do the same as 1Password, but it is open source. It has a great free version and the paid version is only $10/year.

1 Like

Looks interesting, thanks for mentioning this. Is it able to store items other than just passwords? Notes, documents, PDF files, images of credit cards, passports, proof-of-insurance, drivers licenses, library cards, etc?

And for the desktop (Mac) version, does it have a browser extension?

Free version stores logins, secure notes, credit cards, & identities. The pro version also has 1 GB of encrypted file storage.

Extensions exist for all major browsers.

1 Like

Sounds interesting - Iā€™ll have to give that a look :slight_smile:

For what itā€™s worth, since I started this thread, I bit the bullet and upgraded to the family account and 1Password 7. Gotta say that I havenā€™t regretted it. Like the switch from folders to tags for separating my passwords (many of them), and 1Password just seems so much more fluid when filling in log in information. It is also so much better at recognizing proper fields to fill in even if websites change their page structure.

3 Likes

We have been 1Password users and advocates since day one.
Never used the subscription.
Today my wife downloaded an update to 7 and now she is locked into read only her vault.

This is feels very simular to what Texexpander did to us :triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph:

You can buy an standalone license for 7 as well.

1 Like

The way they pushed it upsets me.

1password v6.8.9 is still available for download. Have you tried exporting her info to a .1pif file? If you can, you should/might be able to import it back into 1pw v6. Good luck.