1Password.....to subscribe or not to subscribe?

Yeah, I totally get the “feature bloating” thing. I have been a Quicken user for YEARS and they went subscription last year. Not really enjoying the experience, but am so invested in the software I felt I had little choice.

If you are using Quicken with any of it’s online services, it’s basically always been a subscription. After three years it would quit. At least now you get lots of updates during the (reduced from three to) two years. Even now it won’t stop running after 2 years.

Hey. Someone needs a 1 year free 1Password subscription? Give me your email. You should be a new subscriber. Let me know quickly…

So, just getting my home machine set back up and seemingly made the mistake of downloading 7 from AppStore. I’m still have 6.8.8 from the AppStore. When I try to use the 1Password Safari extension to fill things out, it’s asking me to upgrade to subscribe. Am I now forced to subscribe? I’m kinda fine with it, but then again, there are some good arguments above.

Is there a way to revert to the way it was while I decide?

You can download 6 from the purchased section of the App Store. You can also buy 7 outright directly from 1Password.

1 Like

I truly dislike subscriptions. That being said, it’s not about the money, and I will happily support the development of software that I use frequently by purchasing outright (if possible) any and all major version releases.

I think that Xojo has a very good model, whereby a purchase entitles you new versions for a year, but those versions remain available to you forever.

And that is the critical argument. And one I will use in the future. Thanks. I’m also a happy, happy 1p user for many years who has balked at the subscription model. I now keep a spreadsheet of all the software I pay for on a subscription basis. The numbers are climbing - but my computer is my business and I don’t pay for an office. It’s way cheaper than an office… : )

I think it comes down to whether you view something as a product or a service. I pay a subscription fee to Netflix to access their service. If they vanish tomorrow then there is nothing for me to pay for anymore; they’re strictly a service.

With (non-service) products, it’s completely different. If Honda vanishes tomorrow, my car will continue to work as it always has, for years to come most likely.

If I rely on software for anything, one thing that I don’t want is for its continued functioning to be inherently tied to the existence of the company that produced it. Losing access to critical software because the company goes under, is acquired, changes substantially (terms of service, pricing, etc), or for any similar reason is a risk that I’d rather not have to assume.

Some companies do this better than others, building in fail-safe mechanisms that permit access to the software in the event of a company’s failure, but that practice is far from universal. Abandonware is already bad enough when the product isn’t tethered to a subscription.

Subscriptions transfer (some) risk from from the developer to the consumer. As a consumer, that’s a trend that I feel the need to push back on.

All of that being said, I do understand the need for developers to make a living and derive a more predictable revenue stream from their products. There’s probably no utopian solution that satisfies everyone’s needs, so you won’t see me waving a pitchfork at subscriptions either: they’re a trend that I prefer to avoid but not fanatically.

1 Like

You can buy 1Password 7 from Agilebits, but the Mac App Store version is only for subscription.

1Password is one of the few subscriptions I signed up for without hesitation because I love the app and their sync service is so much easier to use than anything else.

1 Like

Happy subscriber … using the version available from Agilebits directly not the App Store. If I can subscribe directly with a developer I prefer that over giving Apple a cut. My wife and I use 1Password across numerous devices, seamlessly. The web access is also useful in a pinch. Great product; good subscription.

1 Like

Am I correct in thinking that 1Password 6 will not work with Mojave (at least, the Safari extension will not work, therefore 1Password can’t fill in forms)?

I use 1Password 6.8.8. I had to re-install the Safari extension, but now it works fine. https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

1 Like

This seems to indicate that 1Password 6 is not (or will not be) compatible with Mojave. Or am I missing something?

1Password 6 works just fine with Mojave. I have been using it since Mojave was released. No problems at all.

1 Like

Ok! The aye’s have it!

Doesn’t the keychain sync to the cloud(icloud)?
If all of your passwords are on one device with now way to sync across other devices, you won’t be able to login everywhere.

You can buy 7 as a standalone. I did.

2 Likes

I’m still debating on what to do long term, but that’s probably what I’ll do, too, despite the cost.

I always buy the app outright and try to avoid subscriptions when possible. I hate subscriptions because it really bugs me when I subscribe to an app and then don’t use it enough.

1password is a must for me. I have been an early user. Because I am an eero + member I get the family plan for free.