542: Beta Tales

Same here. Refreshing Macrumors way to often for that…

1 Like

I bought an Apple Pencil in anticipation of the scribbling feature. So that’s more money MPU has cost me!

I set up a rule in Inoreader:

@MitchWagner absolutely brilliant! doing that as well now!

1 Like

I use IFTTT to send me an email when the Apple Developer RSS feed gets an update. This works really well, the system sends me one email per beta release.

This is the RSS feed I’ve been using (since 2016!):

http://developer.apple.com/news/releases/rss/releases.rss

2 Likes

Hmmm… I wonder if there’s one for public betas.

In beta 2 you seem to be able to delete from the App Library list view. I’m claiming that as my feedback making a difference :grin:

2 Likes

1 Like

As far as I know, there’s only this one feed, so I get emails for both dev and public betas. Interestingly enough, I guess iOS 14 public beta is now out but as of this writing, no emails yet… IFTTT usually introduces a delay, so it sounds like your method is more timely.

1 Like

It’s also my method for getting an alert when a new episode of MPU is available, as Castro does not permit alerts for individual podcasts.

I’m waiting for the beta for iPhone 40 - looks like it has some amazing features.

1 Like

I’m very tempted to put iOS 14 on my iPhone. It’s my only iOS device. Is it worth it or should I wait till sept?

@Jjm If you backup your phone, there’s not much that can go wrong and you can’t undo.
As far as I’ve seen there’s no migrations to new features that prevent a rollback.

Think that picture in picture and widget stacks are worth it. Changed how I use my iPhone a bit.

1 Like

Many bank apps will not run on betas. Those apps may believe the device is jail broken. Consider how critical your phone is to your life as some apps may not work again until well after the official release.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I would agree with that.

Guess it depends on your appetite for risk. Mine might be a bit higher.
I’ve got bitten only once with the iOS 13 beta :slight_smile: (You’d think I’d learned from it)
But even that fixed itself a few months later

One thing that gives a little pause that I haven’t seen mentioned. Previous years being on the beta meant a real pain getting a new phone setup (basic setup at store, then upgrade to beta and hope the version hasn’t changed since you updated the turned in phone, then reset and restore from iCloud). Any word if this will chance in this version?

The process is the same as previous years, so don’t really understand the issue.

Simple beta install after profile download.

return to previous OS still though mac.

Nothing to it

I don’t remember it ever being like you describe since I’m an Apple user.
That means no, its really straoght forward:)

The second public beta is worse then the first. I had only phone crashes with the first one. Some apps are slow to open on the second public beta. Apple apps like Maps and the camera app has had issues.