546: The Best Listeners

1 Like

This has the best title of all MPU episodesšŸ‘Œ. Feedback shows are great. Listening as we speak

3 Likes

Love the episode title :smile: - listening to it right now!

(And I just realized how long Iā€™ve been continuously listening to this podcast after mentioning it in conversation to a friend today! I started listening to MPU from the very beginning by syncing the episodes from iTunes onto my iPod Classic back when I was still in middle school. And Iā€™m still listening to MPU today - but now as a law student. Kinda crazy that itā€™s been more than 10 years at this point!)

3 Likes

As good as this title was, they did miss an opportunity for what I would argue would have been an even better title:

ā€Kill The Rampant Daemonā€

2 Likes

Weā€™re definitely overdue for another massive DevonThink episode! Itā€™s been too many years. (Work in DevonAgent, too.)

1 Like

Me too. I have the 80GB iPad Classic, built like a small brick. Back when the ā€œwheelā€ was invented, haha.
I remember going on a 650km road trip listening to the first 7 episodes - I was late to the party :smiley:

3 Likes

I donā€™t know what previous discussion there has been on the forum regarding Obsidian, but it is not the same as RoamResearch and shouldnā€™t be grouped with ā€œresearchā€ appā€™s. Obsidian is 100% a note-taking app and in no way attempts to be a clone of Roam, contrary to the comments of some out there.
Using Obsidian over the last few months, it has replaced any thoughts Iā€™ve had of using Bear or Ulysses, etc. for note-taking and I have in the past used them all. Obsidian uses your nominated folder of markdown files, not a database of small data units that can be as easily manipulated and re-organised as blocks in Roam are.

You could use Obsidian for research, but itā€™s a note-taking app, whereas Roam is a better research app that you could use for note-takingā€¦ big difference.

2 Likes

The interview with @MacMarty is golden. More of this please :+1:

4 Likes

As David mentioned it could really help if people had sent feedback to Apple.

Itā€™s very annoying when you donā€™t know if the app have support for VoiceOver or not.

On that Apple TV Ɣudio source thing: you could just hold the play/pause button on the Home Screen and it will pop the audio source menu.

Second way to do it is, inside a movie, just swipe down and select audio. It will show there.

After consuming MPU #546, Focused #103 on Systems, and Bookworm #68 (again) on Taking Smart Notes, I began considering how to better pull together my many reading notes in Apple Notes into a collection in DevonThink 3 Pro to possibly build a digital slip box. I discovered the share feature in Notes will allow me to send a single note to DT, but the are feature is greyed out/unavailable when multiple notes are selected. Iā€™m not doing 400+ notes individually. Has anyone found a way to bulk transfer these notes to DT -and the bonus round would be getting DT to add tags from Notes.

Any ideas would be really appreciated!
Dave

So itā€™s a long time since Iā€™ve used Live Scribe (I had one of the original ones which stopped being supported), but one of the best features for me was that you could record audio as well whilst taking notes and later you could go back and tap any point in your note and it would play the audio from when you were making the note. So, say you were following a lecturer explaining a concept or principle and your note didnā€™t make perfect sense when you looked back at it later, you could just ā€˜tapā€™, and hear what was being said at the time.

Notability has some similar audio features, although Iā€™ve not used them so canā€™t really comment on any differences.

The text replacement multi-line sync tip in this episode was great. I am forced to use Outlook on iOS and am looking for a place to expand multiline text as a bandaid for TextExpander and getting multi-line support helps. To be clear, I am aware that TextExpander has an app on iOS, some mail clients do natively support it, and I can use the TE keyboard but, I just needed a simple solution for a couple multi-line text responses specifically in Outlook. Pasting the text into system preferences on the Mac worked as advertised.

2 Likes

Great episode. Regarding Stephenā€™s comments around the Yeti Blue microphone: I use this for videoconferencing and general recording and bought it at the time because I was under the impression that it was one of the ā€œbestā€ (and it happened to be on sale). Is there a better microphone that youā€™d recommend? Iā€™m not a professional podcaster or broadcaster, but I am looking for good quality for calls, teleconferencing, and the occasional video voiceover. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Patch! I am not an expert so I will defer to those more experienced. I suspect that for your use case, the blue yeti is fine (I have the same mic and use it for the same things). But, you might also be interested in this thread: Entry level Microphones for podcasting

2 Likes

Thanks, @Brad! That was a useful thread. I guess Iā€™ll stick with the Yeti (which I have on a boom, by the way) until either my needs change or something better comes along.

One interesting note: I also have a Jabra wireless headset and Iā€™ve been told by others on conference calls that the sound is better through my Jabra mic than the Yeti, which seems to be rather hollow or echo-ey . That may be an issue with my home office ā€” I probably need to add some carpet and sound deadening materials.

1 Like

My opinion for translating talk to podcast the Blue Yeti is excellent. If you not having problems keep using it. Typical problem with the mike is itā€™s sensitivity to sounds in the room. Example heater fans and traffic noise. Just depends on the environment.

1 Like

I find that the attention paid to high quality mics doesnā€™t really translate to high quality podcasts. Content matters most; some of my favourite episodes across all my podcast listening have included people calling in on fuzzy phone lines.

Buying a fancy mic and XLR set-up before youā€™ve developed a good show with an audience might be like buying the best running shoes because youā€™ve decided to be a runner, even if youā€™ve never run a race.

That said, some of the options look real niceā€¦

1 Like

In home scenarios it is nearly impossible to eliminate room interference entirely so the first best option is to be in the best room in the house - clap your hands, listening for flutter reflections, and choose the room with the least echoes.

Then treat the room. You donā€™t need to buy expensive pre-made acoustic treatments, but some kind of treatment may be necessary for superior sound. A friend of mine is an actor and voice actor in L.A. and in order for her to do remote auditions with the best sound quality she bought heavy moving blankets and made a fort baffle of them surrounding her in a small room, the blankets held up by heavy-duty stands (I think she borrowed some C-stands from somewhere).

If your recording isnā€™t live you can use audio plugins like Izotope RX, which have specific voice-related modules (RX has ā€˜Voice De-Noiseā€™ and 'De-Reverb) which mitigates constant background noise.

Some electronics (refrigerators, hard drive, AC) impart noise too, so try to turn them off or get away from them.

Finally, GET CLOSE TO THE MIC. One reason the Jabra mic might sound better is because youā€™re closer to that mic. Bring the Yeti to nearly the same distance and you will probably find the audio quality to be much better.

2 Likes

Great tips. Thanks, @bowline! Iā€™ve got some vacation time coming up next week and nowhere to go, so Iā€™ll take up the project of sound deadening my room (and practicing bring the mic closer).