550: The World of RSS

Amen to that! I tried mornings but gave up for precisely that reason. :slight_smile: So, I run each afternoon at around 4 oā€™clock. It can be hot but at least I get my coffee in the morning. :slight_smile: Not even @MacSparky is good enough for me to give up my coffee first thing in the morning. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do you handle truncated feeds? Like when only a portion of the articleā€™s body is shown in the feed requiring you to click through to the website to finish reading it. (I realize publishers may need to do that to serve ads on their website.)

Do you click the ā€œRead moreā€¦ā€ link and open the webpage in a separate browser? Or in an embedded browser in your RSS app? Or does your RSS app go fetch the rest of the article text automatically so you donā€™t have to visit the webpage?

Yup, as a rule I exercise in the afternoon unless weather or a commitment prevents me from doing that, in which case I get up and do it first thing.

High temperatures have been above 90 every day for a week now, and so Iā€™m out first thing in the morning. For the first few days I enjoyed having the rest of the day clear to get things done, but now itā€™s getting old and Iā€™m looking forward to the weather breaking.

BTW, this subject is DEFINITELY on-topic because I listen to podcasts while I exercise. Not just MPU ā€“ I subscribe to a million fo them. And podcasts are of course distributed over RSS.

I use NewsBlur as my RSS server and I really like how I can train it to sift through tons of news and show me topics I cared about. Unfortunately, the NewsBlur iOS app is ugly and not as readable as Unread and other iOS clients. And using other RSS reader does not allow me to tap on NewsBlur strength.

Iā€™m not sure if Fiery Feed made it any different. Itā€™s ā€œpowerā€ features seems to be in its sharing and theme-ing. Itā€™s definitely much better looking than NewsBlur but not much different as compared to Unread or Reeder.

I do exactly the same thing. It makes the run tolerable. :running_man:

1 Like

I have had good luck with Feedbin fetching those links with full text in most cases. This has been great for me as other RSS only grab the title and first few lines while Feedbin grabs the whole article (like 75% of the time)

2 Likes

NewsBlur is good about fetching the article (and setting whether you want this to happen automatically by feed.)

Also, since David suggested sharing some favorite feeds:

1 Like

Correction: Reeder 4 is free on Mac and iOS.

does reeder or unread have full text search, saved searches, cursor support, native rendering? I admit I havenā€™t used unread since the first month of its arrival in the app store. but reeder didnā€™t really have anything new in the last two versions that I tested other than bionic reading, which FF has also. reeder did finally remove app.net from its shares a couple of years after it shutdown, of course all of the other shares went with itā€¦ :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think so, although Iā€™m not so sure about Unread 2, which is a subscription based, new version of Unread.

Having said that, I am already paying NewsBlur for its service and do not see myself paying for the front end reading app. NewsBlur web based app already have full text search, highlighter (which I love!), saved articles into my own personal blog (provided by NewsBlur)

1 Like

I didnā€™t read this before I downloaded FeedWrangler and paid the $19 based on listening to the show. The app and website were struggling. Both crashed, had difficulty adding new feeds, and didnā€™t sync well with Unreadā€¦ I requested a refund two hours after purchasing. I could understand that if you have had it setup for a while like David, it probably works fine, but I felt like I was charged for a product that is broken. I ended up back with Feedly and viewing with Unread.

1 Like

I moved from Feedly to News Explorer about a year ago. It is an app, not a service, but it syncs all devices through iCloud. I find it powerful enough and very easy to use and the interface is intuitive. I got the Mac app in SetApp and bought the iOS app for my iPhone and iPad. I rate it highly.

News Explorer has a nice UI but it cannot be used with any RSS service, which people here might not understand. If you have a large group of RSS feeds I strongly recommend against News Explorer, which otherwise seems like a nice app.

But it is an app, so when you launch it it will have to manually visit every site for which you have an RSS feed, and that can take several minutes with a large number of subscribed feeds. It is not an RSS service, which I think most people want - a service that pulls all the feed in advance and is waiting for you, something you can use with any feed-reader on any platform - including your web brower.

This is certainly true. I only have about 25 RSS feeds and opening the app on my iPad is pretty much instantaneous. On my Mac it is open all the time so the updates just happen randomly. But as noted, if you have a lot of feeds this is probably not the right solution.

For the last month Iā€™ve gone through almost the same process David and Stephen went through and I didnā€™t even know they were doing it. I was very happy to see this episode pop up as I have been juggling apps and services for a while, pretty much out of boredom.

I was a longtime Feedly user since the end of Google Reader and then I tried Feedbin a couple of years ago after Feedly got expensive. I liked the service but I needed a good web version as I have to use a Windows computer during the day for work. Feedbin was ok but I missed Feedlyā€™s UI. I went back to Feedly this summer and Iā€™ve spent the last few weeks trying out different Mac, iPhone, and iPad apps. Iā€™m still on the fence as to which one go with. I love NetNewsWire on the Mac and Iā€™m trying the dev version that syncs with Feedly, so far so good. The iPhone app is simple but Iā€™m not sold. Reeder feels somewhat dated to me and the UI isnā€™t my favorite but man it just works. After David and Stephen raved about Unread, Iā€™ve downloaded it again to try it out this week.

I love RSS and I hope itā€™s small renaissance continues. Itā€™s the greatest way to separate the signal from the noise. I get asked often how I read so much and keep up with things and my answer is always RSS.

I think Unread has the best iOS reading experience, especially with its prefetch mechanism for reading entire articles (instead of many sites sending only a headline and summary in their feeds). But for some reason the $20/yr fee doesnā€™t feel right to me given the alternatives, and given what I pay already for my RSS service.

2 Likes

Reeder can also automatically prefetch entire articles.

Unread was my reader of choice until they went for subscriptions. I thought I would miss it a lot, but actually Reeder has turned out to be fine (for me).

1 Like

Iā€™ve been playing with Reeder 4 and it seems nice, but the reading themes arenā€™t my favorite. I just prefer Unreadā€™s look and swipes on iOS. Reeder is absolutely fine, though, I agree.

I donā€™t do prefetch anyway, since I 'm usually quickly plowing through folders each with 50-200 articles and skimming titles for articles to open in a background browser tab or to be sent to Pocket. (Itā€™s an option on the NewsBlur site - might be in the iOS app too, but I never checked.)

I do regularly use the web view for NewsBlur on Mac or their iOS app (usable, not amazing) because NewsBlur has a smart folder that doesnā€™t appear in regular newsreaders that filters ā€˜Infrequent Site Stories.ā€™ Since I follow 1500+ feeds and I tend to skim the river of news by title, I could miss posts by sites that only post sporadically, so I often go through Infrequent articles before galloping through my feeds and marking folders as read.

Wow, I have used FeedWrangler service since it was created and have never had an issue. Never tried the app tho as I have found the apps that are provided with these services never com close to be as good as the 3rd party apps.

Perhaps a question with an obvious answer, but do the third party apps sync well with the advanced features of the services? Iā€™m mostly concerned about being able to train NewsBlur and not mess up the existing training.