550: The World of RSS

I’ve just started using Reeder/Mac with NewsBlur, and I do not see it starring or otherwise showing which articles have been trained. In the web view and iOS app trained articles are given a green dot next to them, and the number of trained stories shows up next to a folder’s total number of stories.

Image on 2020-08-25 02.39.16 PM

And you can read only trained stories by choosing ‘Focus’ mode.

Image on 2020-08-25 02.39.51 PM

Image on 2020-08-25 02.40.56 PM

But I haven’t figured out how to (or if I can) access this in Reeder. I haven’t cracked the manual, but between perusing the menubar and Preferences I don’t see how to enable it.

Given that NewsBlur uses some special sauce that reader-apps can’t access to generate the ‘Infrequent Site Stories’ smart-folder, I suspect you can’t use a reader-app to access trained stories. Not 100% positive but it looks that way.

1 Like

OK, if we’re sharing feeds … I’m going old school from the dawn of the curated internet:

Metafilter
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Metafilter

1 Like

I subscribe to the MetaTalk feed. :slight_smile: I still just visit the blue and green in the browser, for some reason. But that is certainly a good one.

1 Like

That was my initial take … but the more I tried other apps, the more I missed unread and, as I admitted during the episode, I got on board with paying for it.

1 Like

David, would you mind sharing the shortcut you use to parse article info before pasting into Roam?

I think it was from this episode, but it’s been a long week already so it’s difficult to say.

2 Likes

@MacSparky I too would like to know…

1 Like

I’m using ReadKit on my Macs. Overall I really like the way it works (and not finding any memory issues with it). However, I am no longer able to share to Evernote, which I need to do at times. I get the attached error message. I’ve tried removing/reinstalling the app and rebooting, but still not working. I’ve emailed the developer twice with no response… anyone have any suggestions?-- thanks!

I’m still using the previous, non-subscription version of Unread.

I’ll have to explore the newer version to see if the differences are enough to justify $20/yr.

1 Like

I use Feedbin for this and it works beautifully. You can mute on a per feed basis, or globally for all feeds.

You can use their Search Syntax within (what they call) Actions to mute things.

1 Like

Thanks for another episode on a favourite topic—RSS (yes, I have listened to them all),

As a matter fact I do have more than 100 feeds, even though I sympathize with David. The reason is that I cover a lot of different areas due mission, vision and decision. Essentially these are from government, authorities, scientific and technological channels, scholarly papers and books, daily news, TV shows available as public service streaming services and more.

And yes, I read them all—in brief or in full—on a daily basis. So, one of the most interesting things, according to people who have watched me “live” is my semi-automatic workflow.

Main tools

NetNewsWire 5.0.4

I have used NetNewsWire (NNW) for many years but was hesitant to upgrade because I didn’t want any interruptions to my feeds. After the MPU episode #509 with Brent Simmons I decided I just had to make the move. Today I am very grateful to Brent for his neat and clean reader that suits my needs very well.

Safari

As a matter of convenience I often actually read most of the articles in a web browser which happens to be Safari due to other workflows. (Streaming though usually goes through SRWare Iron, below.)

Alfred

Alfred is my most goto tool even though I use Keyboard Maestro (KM) sometimes and other tools like Brett Terpstra’s Bunch and more.

Other tools

The following apps are also used depending on the content: Evernote, OmniOutliner, Due, MySpeed from Enounce, SRWare Iron, due to security issues in Catalina, BBEdit, Hazel, Trello and of course the ubiquitous Drafts.

Semi-automatic workflow

• ⌃N (control N, actually n) activates NetNewsWire

This is part of several general ‘Hot Apps’ in Alfred with ⌃ key as the trigger.

Sometimes I read the least interesting articles directly in NNW but mostly not.

If the Smart Feed All Unread < 100 then select all, else select approximately 100 articles.

• ⌘↩︎ (command return) runs through all consecutive selected articles and opens them as tabs in a fresh window in Safari.

I didn’t find this option in NNW so I wrote a simple AppleScript with a repeat statement and then some keystrokes to simulate arrow down and return.

Now, enter Safari and go through all tabs.

• ⌘! (command shift 1 on my keyboard) if the article has some kind of argument I want to use later and is not part of my shared web pages.

The title and url is appended to a text file Argument.txt and if I press ⌥ the intro or pre-amble is added too. If anything in particular is selected that is also inserted into Argument.txt.

Later when writing or talking to somebody I can confidently say, “Yes, that reminds me…” and with a few keystrokes easily open the referred web page.

Other keywords in Alfred like !!phrase searches for phrase with BBEdit in Argument.txt and !# simply count them, while !" [n] gives the tail of the file with an optional argument n how many to show in Alfred’s Large type.

• Clip to Evernote sends the page, or part of it to a chosen notebook, if the article is shared support material for a certain project or specific area of responsibility. (Articles that are shared are almost always read carefully so I can remember and cite the information correctly. I would strongly recommend these procedures for the Trump administration.)

• References like scholarly papers are downloaded and Hazel moves them to the folder Add to Bookends so the application Bookends can import them automatically.

Unfortunately Bookends was required to be open for this to happen so I used KM to detect when Bookends is opened and then touchall the files in that folder whith a Bash script in KM to give Bookends the ‘impression’ that the files were ‘added after’ Bookends was opened.

• Books are searched for and added to wish lists in Audible or Adlibris book store or sometimes ordered directly.
  • TV shows I would like—or—need to see are put on hold and then watched later—often at 2x or 3x speed with the tool Enounce MySpeed that for security reasons requires a web browser like SRWare Iron in order to work (which I find rather annoying but as a decent work around).
  • Important web pages that I need to keep track of, or will need later, go into my Agenda workflow with OmniOutliner (described earlier similar to Hooks).
  • Web pages may also be sent directly to Due in the agenda workflow or may be directed to a Bunch file.
  • Things I would like to try or buy are sent to my Trello board GTD (and them moved from the lane Maybe to ToDo, Doing or Done, if not archived and removed.

I have had many argument with various IT department over the years that want to coerce certain solutions on all employees. The most serious argument is that I would need an assistant working about 50–100 percent full time if the workflow above and many others couldn’t be used. It’s like asking me as a pianist (which has in fact happened): ”Sorry, we don’t have any piano. Can you use a guitar instead?” or to a surgeon: ”In this organization everybody should use scissors as the only permitted cutting tool.”

This is no rocket science for you guys but once I told an IT guy I would need to change employer if I could not get the work done in an efficient way. The next day I was offered a new job from a much more flexible and tech savvy employer.

3 Likes

Like a few others have mentioned, I ended up settling on News Explorer. It’s a RSS app that uses your iCloud back-end to synchronize between devices. In the past while I’ve been looking at how to enhance digital privacy and reduce subscriptions, and it seemed to fit the bill.

Other than the one major caveat — you’re fetching all the feeds yourself, not just synchronizing them from a server —it’s actually a pretty great app. It looks nice, has a good collection of keyboard shortcuts, supports most of the latest macOS/iOS technologies, and you can make a lot of tweaks to its behaviour.

Features OPML import/export, so you can easily get your feeds into and out of the app. It also has a lot of nice small touches; for example, if you right click on a feed in the sidebar, there’s an entry “Select icon…” which will allow you to select from the available icons specified within the feed. It’s a little thing, but it shows that the developer is attentive to the details.

It lacks a bit in the filtering aspect, so if you subscribe to hundreds of feeds it’s probably not the right choice for you. Additionally, because it’s running locally, there is regular purging of old articles (you can customize how this behaves), so if you really want to keep something for a long time, you’ll want to either favourite it (you can set that to keep them forever) or send it off to something like Pocket or GoodLinks.

If you’re a “moderate” RSS user that doesn’t require a web interface, I think News Explorer is definitely worth checking out. I’m hoping in v2 the developer will add smart searches and maybe move towards tagging feeds instead of the standard “folder” structure.

Overall, though, it’s a really solid app. Before it I used Google Reader with Reeder, then moved to FeedBin and used Reeder, Unread, and Lire as my main apps.

So it worked for you before?

Have you tried saving to Evernote from another Mac app? Evernote has had issues in the past that they needed to fix, so I wonder if it’s a problem with them and not ReadKit.

Gang,

Here is the shortcut I’m using to pull a website into Roam. It saves to Drafts in Markdown and adds Roam linking syntax (that’s why there are so many brackets). Then I move that bit into Roam. I’m waiting for the Roam API before I try to get it directly in.

Note this is still very much a work in progress but have fun.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/23a51eae453d4240ae8d911c9d7f2c03

1 Like

If you’re looking for an RSS reader for the Apple Watch, Watch Feeds is by far the best I’ve tried:

It supports many RSS services (I use Inoreader) and has built-in sharing (email, messages, Instapaper, Pocket) right from the watch. I like it much better than the watch apps for News Explorer and News Blur.

The big difference is that it downloads full articles so you don’t have to do the web dance. I also felt like I wanted to support the developer. I’m a soft touch for developers.

2 Likes

Thanks! Is it easy to set up and use? Does it require subscription? If so how much? :blush:

Yes it is a yearly subscription. I think it’s $36/yr. I haven’t found any free alternatives that work as well though so I’ve just stuck with it.

The filters are relatively easy to setup. It’s like creating custom searches and then you tell it to just automatically mark as read so they don’t show in your unread sections.

1 Like

I have to say I found this episode a little hard to listen to. Normally MPU is spot on, but this episode felt like a one-sided plug for Reeder.

I’d been using Reeder for years, but then the single developer seemingly dropped off the face of the earth for a number of years. Oddly enough, the app given a bit of shade in the episode for also having a single developer, Readkit, was the app I switched to, and it’s been great.

I’ve never had the CPU issues Stephen mentioned and I’m still running on a 2016 Dual Core MBP.

Moreover, it’s killer feature that is definitely MPU-worthy material didn’t even get mentioned. It has Smart Folders that are basically customizable to your heart’s content!

For me, all my Feedly articles come into an Inbox folder. From there, I triage and save the ones I want to read to Pocket, which then moves them (and any other articles I’ve saved directly to Pocket elsewhere) into new folders based on how long they’ll take me to read (2 minutes or more than 2 minutes) or if they have video. I even have a folder that pulls out articles from sites I know don’t play well in a newsreader that I’m going to want to open up directly in Safari.

On iOS, I continued using Reeder. I was excited for Reeder 4 because it seemed like I might be able to have a similar workflow to Readkit on my iPhone and iPad. Unfortunately Reeder 4 is utterly broken for me and has been since it was released. As soon as I link up my Pocket account, it tries downloading every article I saved for the better part of the last decade which prevents Feedly from being able to fetch new items.

5 Likes

well, if I ever decide I need more news I’ll go back and listen to this show. Maybe after the election. For now, I’m trying to shut it all off! Looks like a lot of apps were discussed though. :slight_smile:

UPDATE: And, of course, right after typing this I decide I could use a news reader to keep up w/ my favorite forums, none of which are ‘general news’ in nature. Plus maybe YouTube channels? hmmmm

FWIW, for a couple of years I used the firehose method of RSS. Now I’m being more selective, and using a combination of newsletters and just plain visiting websites for my actual news consumption.

RSS is great for blogs, niche news and opinion sites (like 9to5mac) and selected twitter and subreddit feeds.

And btw, thanks for @MacSparky the recommendation of 9to5Mac. For weeks now I’ve been thinking bout paring down my Apple RSS folder to just one source, and have been meaning to ask for recommendation here. Problem solved!

2 Likes