550: The World of RSS

Just subscribed to FeedBin. Do the filters work without using “”, in for example “[Sponsor]”?

It seems as if it’s catching all of the word including just Sponsor.

They should work without the “” if it’s a single word. I don’t have any quotes around hashtags. The docs do mention that you need to use title.exact:"keyword" so its possible you need that modifier for it not to match “[Sponsor]” & “Sponsor”. I’m not sure though.

1 Like

Feedly has filters available, I believe it is a Pro (paid) feature only though.

2 Likes

I’m surprised there wasn’t more discussion of Feedly outside of its function as an RSS service. I use Feedly to track all my RSS feeds, as a reader to read articles while I’m scanning the feeds, as a read-it-later service, and as a long-term archive for articles I want to save. I pay for the Pro service, but even the free version is very powerful. There are MacOS/iOS/iPadOS apps which I like as much or more than Unread or Reader, the iOS share extension works great to add content, and there is a decent (not great) web interface for the service. One app to rule them all…

1 Like

I agree about Feedly. Their iOS/iPad apps aren’t bad at all. So many options and customizations with the app, I was sad to see they didn’t get more play. After trying everything this week I’ve settled on Feedly permanently for iPad and iOS. I’ll still use NetNewsWire for my Mac.

Since you’re a satisfied Feedly user, may I ask if you are satisifed with the highlighter feature, if you use it at all? Been looking for an RSS reader that allows for direct highlighting.
Can you annotate and can the highlights be exported easily to, say, markdown?

They let you link to read it later services like Pocket as well as Evernote and OneNote, but I didn’t think that Feedly itself saved articles themselves in case they they disappeared or went behind firewalls.

(Even if it does, I don’t doubt it’s a great service but for my needs the Pro+ account I’d need costs as much as NewsBlur + Pocket anyway.)

I didn’t listen to the episode yet and didn’t see anyone mention it here, but I switched to using DevonThink for my RSS needs. I no longer need a provider for sync capabilities. I like being able to take an article or blog post from RSS and save it as something more permanent in DT.

1 Like

How does DEVONThink handle article edits? Does it overwrite, save a new article, or do nothing?

If you enable Dropbox integration it will save a permanent archive of your saved articles in your Dropbox account.

2 Likes

Hi all, is it the case that RSS is limited to webpages that have a feed built in?

I’d like to “watch” my favourite webpages and load fresh content into DEVONthink, whether it has a formal RSS feed or not.

Doable?

If not, you’re relying on the site owner or designer to be interested and engaged in RSS such that they will include a feed.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

PS loved hearing about NetNewsWire again, nostalgia trip for sure!

I have been having fun using this website:

https://rss-bridge.snopyta.org/

It’s like RSS for power users.

These guys also have other cool stuff:
https://snopyta.org/

Special mention: Nitter: a free and open source alternative Twitter front-end focused on privacy.

The Dave Winer link between RSS and OPML is, of course, XML. (Both are XML-based datastreams.)

Thanks Mere, very interesting. Can’t see how I can create my own RSS feeds from fave sites though. Will keep researching.

DT displays the original and updated article as a thread so you have access to both.

Unfortunately I moved away from FeedWrangler for exactly the same reason. Support emails went unanswered despite search not working correctly (which is a pretty fundamental feature)

Disappointing given it’s a paid for service. I’m not asking for instant replies, but the complete lack of replies is unforgivable.

1 Like

Fiery Feeds learns which pages you tend to go to the website on and just loads the website instead.

Sorry, not a highlighter. I just triage articles to my read-it-later service.

1 Like

Finally listening to this one. Really happy to hear it. I wasn’t a Google Reader guy. I was a HUGE my.yahoo.com user, kept a couple hundred feeds there. I miss the era of RSS, I loved it, with so many blogs to follow this way.

I was deeply suspicious of Google Reader when it was introduced. At the time I was using NetNewsWire, which manually pulled feeds on command, and could easily take tens of minutes to complete with hundreds of feeds. A free service at that time was a godsend for many, but even back then I worried about Google’s ability to learn deeply what I was interested in to creat a dossier upon which they could deliver me to advertisers.

That Google Reader also killed off the burgeoning RSS-based industry was also not great.

But the seemingly-capricious decision to abandon offering an RSS service, along with pulling out RSS capabilities from its browser (I use a browser extension In Brave and Chrome now to determine whether sites have feeds and be able to copy them), hurt RSS in a different t way. (So did the old war to extend RSS with the competing Atom spec.)

At any rate it’s great that there are a handful of good feed services available today, as well as quasi feed-services like Flipboard.

FYI there remain a few MyYahoo-like sites remaining. I used to use one that’s still around, and my account is still dutifully following feeds even though I haven’t visited it this year… and can’t even remember the name offhand. (I’m away from my Mac now.) A French service, I think…

EDIT:

The service I was trying to remember is NetVibes.

https://www.netvibes.com/en

A similar one I use to send me some blog updates by email is Bloglovin.

https://www.bloglovin.com/