579: 30 Mac Apps for Under $30

That and the fact that it works with far more providers than Deliveries. For instance it works with Brazilian providers while Deliveries will not.

Thanks for this recommendation. Mountain hasn’t received an update in ages.

I’m much the same. I purchased Deliveries about 7 years ago but haven’t used it for the last 3 or 4. Just about everyone tells you when to expect an order these days and get I push notifications from FedEx and UPS, and emails from Amazon and USPS before they show up. That’s all I need.

If you use PathFinder or ForkLift there is built in support for renaming files. ForkLift is the better of these two. I’m not sure if AFBR or Name Mangler has more features than the full apps, but the rename support in PathFinder and ForkLift is all that I need.

That’s buying it direct, the Mac App Store’s IAP is $34.99.

Mailplane is a Gmail client for the Mac. It’s a single-site web browser, $29.95.

ToothFairy is an alternative to AirBuddy. Does less, but costs less, and good enough for me. Included in SetApp.

https://c-command.com/toothfairy/

And Paletro provides a command palette for any application. Invoke Paletro with a hotkey, and it calls up a text bar, into which you type the name of any menu command in an application. Alfred will do the same with a workflow, or you can use Shift-Cmd-/. But I like Paletro. It’s $6.99, and included in SetApp.

I learned about Paletro on this forum.

2 Likes

Check out https://mimestream.com free for now but hopefully it’ll be under $30!

2 Likes

Was disappointed Marked 2 didn’t make it onto the list. Such an essential app for my daily life.

I like it when the dangerous episodes are labeled like this

2 Likes

I was mowing the lawn and listening at 2x but I thought I heard mention of mobile apps that sync with Soulver on macOS. Is that true?

Over a year ago Soulver 3 came out but wouldn’t sync with Soulver (2?) on iOS.

Now Soulver doesn’t even appear in the App Store search on iOS, at least for me.

Definitely checking this out.

One annoyance with Deliveries is adding a tracking number on macOS immediately triggers a notification on iOS. Anyone know how to prevent this minor annoyance?

Mimestream is a good app, but it does not seem to support Priority Inbox, which I rely on.

1 Like

I do. And I’m a happy customer for many years. The application is very flexible and gets regular updates. Highly recommended.

A Better Finder Rename is a great find. I’ve been looking for a friendly app for ages to do this kind of thing, and it is pure simplicity to use.

1 Like

According to the dev, it’s in the works.

While I still use my old Solver 2 on my phone, I was somewhat glad to see I could use Toolbox Pro to parse Soulver calculations as well.

When I need to move things back to my Mac or to my iPhone, for now, I’ve been relying in copy and pasting via the Universal Clipboard. Not neat, but it does the trick.

Thanks for pointing out that Toolbox Pro can do this!

For my use case, I really needed sync. It was a home improvement project budget. Ideally I would’ve been able to add email invoice totals when at my Mac and home improvement store receipts on the go with iOS. Hopefully a new iOS version will drop.

Interesting. I used Mountain for a long time but on one of the yearly OS updates it failed for me. I tried jettison, and it didn’t work at all for me. Then all of a sudden Mountain worked for me again! Right now I’m using Mountain in Big Sur 11.2.2, and Mountain 1.6.6 and it seems to be working fine. Go figure…

Count me as one who is very much looking forward to Soulver 3 for iOS. I didn’t actually do any meaningful syncing with 2, but I expect that to change as 3’s document presentation has me saving and maintaining more Soulver calculations instead of just using it as a powerful scratchpad. Great app.

2 Likes

The way I guard against this is to put “echo” at the beginning of the line(s) that do the actual mv, rm, etc. Then, when I’m sure it’s right, remove the “echo” and let 'er rip. It’s not absolutely foolproof but it helps.

1 Like

I had bought Soulver 3 when it came out but found immediately that it was just a bit too different to Soulver 2 - so I kept on using Soulver 2. Was happy nevertheless to support the developer and figured I would get around to migrating down the track. Of course that didn’t happen.

This has prompted me to revisit it, and I have seen that it has evolved a lot. Original Soulver iOS apps seem to have been removed from the store and probably because they only sync with Soulver 2. Both Soulver 2 and 3 can run on the same Mac as they are totally separate apps. Hoping new versions of the iOS apps appear in the future.

Very happy to see URLs for each Soulver sheet on the Mac!