579: 30 Mac Apps for Under $30

I like it when the dangerous episodes are labeled like this

2 Likes

I was mowing the lawn and listening at 2x but I thought I heard mention of mobile apps that sync with Soulver on macOS. Is that true?

Over a year ago Soulver 3 came out but wouldnā€™t sync with Soulver (2?) on iOS.

Now Soulver doesnā€™t even appear in the App Store search on iOS, at least for me.

Definitely checking this out.

One annoyance with Deliveries is adding a tracking number on macOS immediately triggers a notification on iOS. Anyone know how to prevent this minor annoyance?

Mimestream is a good app, but it does not seem to support Priority Inbox, which I rely on.

1 Like

I do. And Iā€™m a happy customer for many years. The application is very flexible and gets regular updates. Highly recommended.

A Better Finder Rename is a great find. Iā€™ve been looking for a friendly app for ages to do this kind of thing, and it is pure simplicity to use.

1 Like

According to the dev, itā€™s in the works.

While I still use my old Solver 2 on my phone, I was somewhat glad to see I could use Toolbox Pro to parse Soulver calculations as well.

When I need to move things back to my Mac or to my iPhone, for now, Iā€™ve been relying in copy and pasting via the Universal Clipboard. Not neat, but it does the trick.

Thanks for pointing out that Toolbox Pro can do this!

For my use case, I really needed sync. It was a home improvement project budget. Ideally I wouldā€™ve been able to add email invoice totals when at my Mac and home improvement store receipts on the go with iOS. Hopefully a new iOS version will drop.

Interesting. I used Mountain for a long time but on one of the yearly OS updates it failed for me. I tried jettison, and it didnā€™t work at all for me. Then all of a sudden Mountain worked for me again! Right now Iā€™m using Mountain in Big Sur 11.2.2, and Mountain 1.6.6 and it seems to be working fine. Go figureā€¦

Count me as one who is very much looking forward to Soulver 3 for iOS. I didnā€™t actually do any meaningful syncing with 2, but I expect that to change as 3ā€™s document presentation has me saving and maintaining more Soulver calculations instead of just using it as a powerful scratchpad. Great app.

2 Likes

The way I guard against this is to put ā€œechoā€ at the beginning of the line(s) that do the actual mv, rm, etc. Then, when Iā€™m sure itā€™s right, remove the ā€œechoā€ and let 'er rip. Itā€™s not absolutely foolproof but it helps.

1 Like

I had bought Soulver 3 when it came out but found immediately that it was just a bit too different to Soulver 2 - so I kept on using Soulver 2. Was happy nevertheless to support the developer and figured I would get around to migrating down the track. Of course that didnā€™t happen.

This has prompted me to revisit it, and I have seen that it has evolved a lot. Original Soulver iOS apps seem to have been removed from the store and probably because they only sync with Soulver 2. Both Soulver 2 and 3 can run on the same Mac as they are totally separate apps. Hoping new versions of the iOS apps appear in the future.

Very happy to see URLs for each Soulver sheet on the Mac!

One of the apps recommended was the contacts app, CardHop. I had it installed and used it, but recently uninstalled it because it interfered with text selection in MindNode. Every time Iā€™d try to select text in a MindNode node, Iā€™d get a special ā€œadd to CardHopā€ contextual menu that didnā€™t allow me to select text. I use MindNode a lot and it drove me crazy. I finally had to uninstall CardHop and now text selection in MindNode is no issue. Anyone else have this problem, or know a fix?

Also, solver is no longer available on mobile :frowning_face:

I have yet to find a renaming task that ABFR canā€™t do.

Whether I need to rename an entire folder from .heif to .heic or create templates and steps it just works every time.

Iā€™ve renamed folders with 6k items and it just churns through them. Iā€™ve been using it for years.

What I absolutely love about apps that have been around for years is that they are robust. You can toss a million lines of code into Bbedit and it doesnā€™t break a sweat. The new flashy stuff often hits the wall when it comes to performance on large datasets.

Iā€™m looking forward to buying the next version of Graphic Converter. Itā€™s never been the prettiest app but it just grinds through whatever tasks you need done.

4 Likes

Soulver 3 for iOS is coming, itā€™s just not ready yet:

https://twitter.com/Japh/status/1369866990299475969
https://twitter.com/soulver/status/1369921369379590146

Itā€™ll be an instant buy when it happens for me.

1 Like

Very strange. Using both, no such issue on my end.

It appears when I try to right-click on text. Instead of the contextual menu of cut-copy etc., I get only the ā€œadd to Cardhopā€ menu. Not helpful at all, and a real aggravation. Iā€™m talking to Cardhop support about it, sent them a screen recording.

Their initial reaction was to suggest turning off the extension, but then that also kills one of the main uses of the app, to be able to form contacts without retyping everything.

1 Like

Flexibitsā€™ obsession for screen recordings of every damn thing, like they donā€™t believe the users, drives me insane every time I report parser bugs in Fantastical.

1 Like