579: 30 Mac Apps for Under $30

Thanks. Acorn 7 just made it to the App Store and is available for $ 20 (50 % off) so I grabbed it.

2 Likes

If you’re comfortable in the terminal another renaming option I’ve just starting using is vimv (works with editor of your choice). Just a very simple Bash script, but works great for me.

I was so glad to hear Acorn get some love in this episode. It seems like any time graphics applications are mentioned in blogs or podcasts, it’s always just Pixelmator or Affinity. I agree with David and Stephen, Acorn is great, too!

Thanks for mentioning that version 7 has been released. I wasn’t aware of that.

Interestingly enough, I was going to mention that Acorn 6 has a bit of an “old school” vibe to it because it uses floating palettes that made me think fondly of the Paint or Draw modules of AppleWorks!! Then I looked at the website for Acorn 7 and I see that the user interface has been changed to incorporate the tools into a unified window (with the graphic image), now giving off a Pages/Numbers/Keynote feel to the program!! (Best of all, for those who prefer the old way, the website says there’s a preference to enable the separate tool palettes! That’s wonderful. I don’t know which interface style I’ll prefer, but I’m excited to have the option to switch between styles!)

1 Like

As a software dev, I can say screen recordings are invaluable. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Should be called “30 Mac Apps for Under $38.78” with the current exchange rate, but I guess it doesn’t have the same ring to it :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Yes, I’ve been a dev and they very often make sense; but when users take care to write a detailed account and invariably, every time, the only answer you get from support is « we want a screen recording of that anyway », that’s not good service.

1 Like

That other reasons I dumped Fantastical long time ago. Not worth subscription $ they want.

It’s still very much a subscription I want to cut, yeah.

Fission is awesome. I use it to very quickly edit my class recordings for my students. It’s so nice to be able quickly edit. My other favorite feature is being able to select some audio, and quickly edit the volume (instead of using automation in logic for example).

I would also throw our Rogue Amoeba’s Piezo. It is like drafts for audio. Indispensable for quick recordings of anything.

And it’s $19

3 Likes

I find I get the version 3 features I care about without a sub just because I had the version 2 license.

“Drafts for audio” is a tall order but I may need to check it out.

1 Like

Lazyweb request: What’s the diff between Piezo and Audio Hijack?

I use Audio Hijack several times monthly. It is extremely valuable.

Probably is lol. It’s just so convenient to open it, and record.

@MitchWagner they both have similar functionality, and you don’t necessarily need piezo, but it is simple that there is one button and an input drop down. I use it when I’m grading students. I press the button, record feedback, press the button again it stops. Next student rinse and repeat. I also use it to capture audio samples from Apple Music. I open Piezo, select music as the input, record.

It’s simple like QuickTime is simple for screen recording. I could set up a full blown screen recorder/screen caster, or use QuickTime (or even easier, CMD+Shift+5(?)).

All of this can be done via Audio Hijack, but Piezo is just magical in a way that I can’t really explain. It is free to trial for a pretty generous time limit ( 10 minutes for each launch of the app).

1 Like

Update: I’ve found that the “add to Cardhop” special menu appears every time I right click a selected word or words in any program I’ve tried. I have to click it more than once (sometimes several times) to get the normal contextual menu to cut, copy, paste, etc.

This is extremely aggravating behavior and makes Carphop not worth having on my system. I’ve uninstalled it on my Mac.

I reached out to their customer service, and the developers are blaming the behavior on Apple: " wanted to reach out and let you know I heard back from our developers. This behavior comes from macOS itself. We just provide macOS with our extension, and depending on where you do the secondary click, the OS decides to show that Services menu or not. We cannot influence this behavior. I do understand that this is frustrating, but after looking into it there is nothing we can change on our end to stop it from happening."

They could just disable that extension if it’s such a blocking bug

Not impressed with Flexibits’ support lately.

I got behind listening and finally got this in last night. I knew by the title it was going to cost me money
 And I was right! Keep up the good work!

1 Like