586: iPhone Productivity

Note I suggested “in this thread,” not “not at all.” :grin:

Seconded. The episode mentioned Hey only in passing, in one segment, and it didn’t mention the controversy at all.

Even in this topic…

My intent was not to drag up the locked thread, but merely a question.
Sometimes when things happen a post edit note is put in and was expecting something similar here.
Apologies to all.

1 Like

Thank you! This is quite a lovely interface so far. Seems to do better with images and text than PDFs, but perhaps it’s slower to process those? I’m taken with it enough to try it for awhile, at any rate.

Regarding widgets, I use the same large Fantastical widget that David does. I think I’ve tried all 12, and as much as I hate to lose that much app icon real estate or wallpaper viewing, it’s been really helpful. I don’t time block; I just need the space to see today’s meetings and a few of tomorrow’s. I find keeping that information so available gives me freedom to do things elsewhere in the house without forgetting something. One tap to join a call from the home screen and access to the weather are bonuses.

I tried MyMind several months ago but abandoned it because there seemed no way of exporting or sharing information. Has this changed or is it still a roach motel?

I was wondering if @MacSparky has shared the drafts to obsidian action anywhere or would be willing to go into how to set one up? As a recent convert to Obsidian, I would love to be able to use this.

1 Like

So any shortcut that adds or edits a markdown file in your file system should work. If you add a file to the same folder that your obsidian vault is pointed at, (or any sub folder) it should be automatically be picked up by your obsidian vault. That assumes, of course, that you’re using a sync service like iCloud or Dropbox to store your vault.

1 Like

Tangentially related. There isn’t a Drafts thread (yet), but a collection of Shortcuts for Obsidian has been building up over on the Obsidian forum:

(It includes contributions from a certain Italian who likes to tell stories about Macs!)

4 Likes

The pain of updating a Series 3 watch is most real. You have to wipe it everytime.
Then you must set it up again and don’t forget your alarm clock, Pay and unlock Mac. It’s a pain and laughable that they still sell it.
I just had to do it since I wanted the unlock your phone feature. One more thing to remember when I have to set it up again after the next update.

2 Likes

I’m in the middle of that vicious cycle right now. I’ve already done it once and it didn’t update because the WatchOS software on my phone wasn’t updated. :sob:

Perfect. I should have looked over there. Thank you!

1 Like

Ok. I will play around with this. I’m a novice when it comes to building / editing actions.

Very well said, sir.

None so blind as those who will not see.

If that was all it was, ⅓ of their employees would not have decided to quit.

1 Like

I personally think it is silly for someone to quit a job over this, but people have surely quit jobs for more nonsensical reasons than this so if that is the road they want to go then that is their choice.

And that is the beauty of the whole situation. The people that want to change the things they see as bad in the world can go do so (I would personally suggest doing so from an org that does so by the nature of its mission rather than another software company or other for profit entity that can, and likely will, ultimately change its policy on this kind of stuff down the road as well). It also benefits Basecamp in that now they can find people with no preconceived notion that they will be coming to work to do anything other than work. The 1/3 that left can go be happy doing something more in line with their passion and the 2/3 that remain (plus the 1/3 they will hire to replace the folks that left) can go back to making software that is beneficial for people to use.

The last upgrade for my Series 2 was v6.3 so upgrading it isn’t a problem :slightly_frowning_face: But I’ve always used it mainly for notifications and reminders, etc. so it’s still useful.

And Apple Pay still works but there are still so few places to use it that I rarely think about it anymore. That’s a shame because I haven’t used cash in over a year.

People inside the company volunteered to help the company address real issues inside the company, and the founders shut it down. According to those who have worked for the company, this is just the latest issue in a pattern of the white male founders only caring about issues that directly affect them.

This is not a bunch of people trying to spend their time idly talking politics on the company dime.

This is people who have experienced racism inside Basecamp trying to help the company improve, and being told “We don’t care about that” and then the group was shut down and they were told not to talk about it anymore. Not that they couldn’t talk about “Hey did you hear about the latest police shooting of an unarmed Black man” but “We don’t want you talking about the problems of racism that we have here in this company where you work.”

No one can make you care about that, but to claim this is “silly” when racism can and does cost people their jobs and their lives is the epitome of white privilege.

Silence is political.

I would encourage you to read this article and try to summon up as much empathy as you can muster to try to imagine what it would be like to experience that non-white person.

4 Likes

Not because I’m old or anything cough but … I’m skipping this episode. As someone who used to get paid for typing (95wpm) I am extremely UN-productive w/ 1-2 fingers on a tiny screen. Even just one sentence is maddening. I chat w/ family/friends on whatsapp, messages, messenger, etc. using my laptop. Sure, I can read all day long on my phone, but actually replying is so. slow. Besides, I’m retired…

5 Likes

I’ve slowly been getting into Obsidian more and more, and I guess not having access to the iOS app has been what is preventing me from going “whole hog” with the app. It seems like I’ve crossed into this place where an app has to be available on everything or I just don’t engage with it properly.