586: iPhone Productivity

One comment about the discussion of using tools like TextExpander to produce quick canned replies as part of things like responding to certain types of email inquiries, I totally and completely disagree with David and Stephen about their use for this purpose.

Having been the recipient of such emails, I can tell you that it is incredibly maddening knowing that my inquiry was responded to with no thought or consideration whatsoever. As a recent example, MPU had a guest on the show last fall who, among other things, produced online courses. I was intrigued and sent an email inquiry to him about these courses. After about a week, I received back a canned email response, likely made with a tool such as TextExpander, which (1) did not answer my question, (2) completely botched the phone I said I was using, and (3) asked me to respond with more information. So I did, and a few days later I got back the same email response as I got originally, word for word! Needless to say, I gave up further communication and did not partake in the courses this person had to offer.

The lesson here is that while users of these tools for purposes of responding to customer inquiries might be productive to the user/sender, they can be maddening and off-putting to the recipients and give the impression that the sender/user is lazy or just doesn’t care. I suggest that people keep this in mind when using these products for such purposes.

7 Likes

David says he swaps air pods out for phone calls and stuff, but I hate doing that because I only like to have phone conversations with my left ear lol. That ear hears spoken word better, and my right* ear is a little better for music. I have always preferred to hold phones to my left ear. Anyone else have a preference?

Yes. My hearing is very good in both ears — there’s no hearing loss. But the left ear is noticeably better for me.

1 Like

I actually tried this the other day after David suggested it, and found that I really disliked the experience. It’s so much nicer to have them in both ears, as it blocks out other noises, distractions, family members, coworkers, oh I guess I’m repeating myself…

Anyway, I suspect few of us are on the phone so much that we couldn’t spare a few minutes to pop the AirPods back into its case while you use the bathroom or refill your water bottle during the day.

And if you do use the phone that much, well, then the obvious answer is that you need a second pair of AirPods :smiley:

3 Likes

I too feel much better with both headphones in.

This is my PSA for all you musicians as well, if you use in ear monitors, always keep both in, otherwise you risk damaging your ear with the remaining IEM in because you have to turn it up louder. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

I think we call that a business expense lol.

1 Like

I believe Marco Arment said he has two AirPods Pro for flights, haha.

My right ear is a little better. What I do is optimistically wear both until they’re worn down, then take turns charging up to 50+% until I can wear both again. On really long calls I just hope there are stretches where I don’t have to talk so I can go to muted speakerphone for a few minutes, charge both and make a sandwich.

1 Like

For long drives and flights as well as really long calls, I use wired EarPods. Newer isn’t always better.

That’s fine for Marco…

I actually have two also, but that’s a long and mostly unintentional story…

2 Likes

@tjluoma
That is the literal definition of racism what you just said….

As a white, heterosexual man who has stood next to others of all races, genders, sexual preferences in ACTUAL life or death situations - not one of them agrees with anything you said. Nor a single white heterosexual man I know, but that’s obvious, we all think exactly the same right? or most of us? Like what % if you had to take a crack at it???

Who cares though? You just get to silence and deplatform the entire logical human beings left.

I came on here and created an account to post a litany of shortcuts and automations i’ve written that are MacSparky’s constant talkings and integrates Omnifocus, Session, Obsidian, and focus modes and the lights in your house - the ultimate contextual computing :grimacing:

But as i go through these boards, I who also suffer from multiple traumatic brain injuries during my time, and 10 minutes on this board has made me depressed…. Like i literally don’t even know how to talk anymore without someone being offended. All of this is pure COWARDS and virtue signaling babbling morons.

To see how society has abandoned everything we used to care about is heartbreaking.

You’re a pastor….? You understand Religion has led to more death and war than anything else in human history right?

(Please debate me on what you know about death and war)