635: Workflows with Allison Sheridan

4 Likes

Great episode. Iā€™ve been using Spaces since it was introduced (10.5?) and it sounds like Allisonā€™s problem was due to Appleā€™s default settings.

Just uncheck ā€œAutomatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent useā€ if you want things to stay where you put them.

8 Likes

This was a really great episode! Thank you for this interview. I am always interested in hearing how different people use gear, what gear they use, and how they have everything set up. It was really interesting to hear Allison talk about how she is using her setup, including the large display. I know Iā€™m pretty late to the party, but after recently being exposed to 4k and large displays, I am actually pretty interested in the discussions around displays. The M1 transition is something that I have avoided up to this point, but as my beloved MacBook Pro continues to die on me, I think it might be time to make a transition. My personal computing needs today are different than when I bought my last Mac, but I like hearing what other people are using, and how they use equipment, as I keep going back and forth in thought about what I should do. Thanks again for this! It was a fun listen!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it!

How could I have missed Allisonā€™s blog and podcasts, since I began with a Mac SE in ā€˜93?? A brilliant episode covering a host of topics. Iā€™ll now have to find more listening hours for Podfeet Podcasts along with MPU!

1 Like

This episode definitely costed me dearly. Great find Folge combine that with her fantastic video tutorial on ScreencastsOnline

1 Like

I have to chime in and agree - this was a great episode. Reminds me of the old MPU episodes for some reason. Well done, team!

3 Likes

In regards to yaā€™llā€™s discussion about whether there will be an M1 Pro Mac mini, something to keep in mind is that the M1 Mac mini runs circles around the ā€œproā€ Mac mini with the higher end Intel CPU. Itā€™s faster for single/multicore by non-trivial margins, and the GPU is something like 6x faster.

The only place that it struggles is in quantity of RAM, which for sure is important. But 32GB of RAM on an i7 Mac mini is actually only $200 less than the base model Mac Studioā€”not a big deal considering the massive boost in CPU and GPU performance youā€™d be getting.

I could be missing something but it seems to me that Apple actually has that gap filled pretty well, just not in the same way it used to. The M1 Mac mini provides for a ton of pro workflows that the intel version need could (specifically anything needing graphics or video) and the Mac Studio stoops down in price to meet anyone needing more RAM and gets within $200 of what youā€™d spend for the Intel version. Not bad, imho.

The M1 Mac Mini is great, better in almost all regards than the Intel version. So, offering a M1 Mac Mini with the Pro chip would enable all those benefits plus more RAM.

The only reason for keeping an Intel version around is to enable legacy uses (such as running Windows). Other than that, M1 and M1 Pro Mac Minis, then stepping up to M1 Max and M1 Ultra Mac Studios seems the obvious route.

So, whilst Apple has a product in the gap now, itā€™s not a very interesting offering for the vast majority of customers because everything around it has raced past it.

yep, Im not a big fan of the interview eps which seem to be half of the episodes now, but I really liked Allison. She delivered on MPU and Mac Geek Gab if you missed it. It was good to here about some new apps.

1 Like

@MacSparky I got a kick out of your story about learning to program inside a Radio Shack. I have a similar storyā€¦but different.

I would bike over to Radio Shack and look at the TRS-80 computers. One day, I bought a book on BASIC programming. I spent hours pouring through it, and then wrote my first programā€¦on PAPER, since I didnā€™t have a computer.

I then convinced my mom to drive me to ComputerLand, and we asked a salesperson if I could use one of their computers for a while. He said sure, and sat me down in front of a Commodore PET.

My mom left me there for hours while I typed in my program. After a lot of debugging (I didnā€™t even know that word), I actually got the program to run! It was a simple D&D game that drew a basic map of rooms using a bunch of ā€œ#ā€ characters. It even had some random number generators to tell you if you survived meeting any monsters in your room of choice. LOL

Unfortunately, the PET had no storage device attached to it, so I couldnā€™t save the program. No matterā€¦I was now hooked on computers for life.

Anyway, thanks for stirring up that great memory of mine.

7 Likes

The guys at the Radio Shack felt sorry for me and hooked up a data storage device ā€¦ via cassette recorder. Whoā€™d have ever guessed how far computers would come in such a short time.

4 Likes