639: Software Club: Greg Pierce and Drafts

I too like the format. In terms of who to invite in future episodes, why not invite the makers of whatever software we’re discussing in the online “Software Club”? It would be interesting to hear their feedback about our feedback

2 Likes

Yes, +1 for MT.

This would be fantastic!

2 Likes

I purchased Drafts Pro a while ago but have not intended to renew. Those of you who subscribe to the Pro version, other than the worthy goal of supporting the developer, why do you subscribe to Drafts? What benefit do you derive from the Pro version that you find helpful?

If you are more into Automation you would want Pro.

1 Like

Given this thread that I started here – definitely looking forward to being able to listen to this episode, hopefully over the next few days!

DEVONthink 3 and Keyboard Maestro… obviously I might add! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I really like the app. The developer was really helpful to me, got back a few times when I couldn’t get it to show in Finder, which is essential for me as I use Houdah Spot. I couldn’t get it to work and I gave up on it, sadly maybe. I am not sure I need it though now, like you I guess? So really I would like to support this amazing app. but really don’t. I have a couple like that that I am not really sure I need but think are great. Trickster for example.

I am sure that I’m under utilizing Drafts. My main usage is composing sensitive emails to ensure I don’t send them prematurely and get myself in trouble! :grinning:

5 Likes

This is my approach to important emails as well. It’s a great “scratchpad” to flesh out sensitive emails.

1 Like

Of course, I never have sensitive emails to deal with. I only deal with people’s children, money, religion, and then throw in a little politics and covid. What could possibly go wrong?! :joy:

4 Likes

I really like the Workspace. I have one for each of my major projects and I put them on the widgets so I can jump straight into the Workspace. Each Workspace can be themed accordingly.

Another thing I really like is Bookmark. This is used when I export drafts into Obsidian. I have one bookmark for each projects directory inside Obsidian.

2 Likes
  1. Peter Lewis (Keyboard Maestro)
  2. Brendan Duddridge (Tap Forms)
4 Likes

Funfact: I used to have an app called “Quick Drafts” which I suppose was a rip off of Drafts. It did the same thing with the immediate writing space and sharing possibilities. I really liked Quick Drafts but someday it didn’t work anymore. I found out that there is this other similar app, which back then seemed to me like the rip off of “my” Quick Drafts app. I downloaded it reluctantly and only gradually found out how great it is. It is one of my favorite and most important apps by now.
(This post was composed in Drafts)

5 Likes

I could never get Drafts to show on Finder and hence Houdah Spot. There is a check box in its preferences. I asked the developer, he was so helpful but nothing worked. I stopped using it as I said in another comment here. I though it worth asking you or @Bmosbacker @karlnyhus @cornchip or one of the other real experts here. Any ideas? Like I said I tried most of the ‘usual’. Checkboxes, permissions re install and more. I am sure there is some user error on my part: can’t say why though.
I was left with a very positive view of the developer and the app though I couldn’t use it, that happens nowadays.

Sorry, I’ve never used Drafts. I like, use, and rely on HoudahSpot occasionally to find things that I’ve lost.

1 Like

I haven’t used Houdah Spot (one day…), but Drafts notes are all stored in iCloud, and to search iCloud in other apps I’ve used (like Alfred), you need to make sure all of ~/Library/Mobile Documents is in your scope, you need to make sure iCloud isn’t optimizing storage at all on your Mac, and you may need to rebuild your SpotLight indexes if you can’t find the Drafts note in Spotlight. Possibly other steps, too.

Here’s the Houdah developer saying essentially the same thing:

P.S. even after you have it working, it may break in future macOS releases, unfortunately.

1 Like

Given they’ve just bumped all the cloud bucket synching (DropBox / OneDrive etc.) to ~/Library/Mobile Document I doubt it will be changing anytime soon.

1 Like

Thank you, I hadn’t really understood that at all before, quite possible I misunderstood or got it wrong previously. I will give it a try again sometime. Thanks again much appreciated and that is something useful for other apps for me really in future.

2 Likes

I really want to use Drafts but I continue to struggle how to work it into my flow. Took notes using it last night for the first time! Was… fun, I think. I appreciate how quick and informal it is. But I get a little overwhelmed at all the buttons and options in the app itself!

You can ignore many of the options in the beginning. Just quickly add notes and use the built-in actions to send them to different destinations. Maybe spend a little time to understand workplaces, as that’s the thing that is always most confusing to me and understanding it takes away a lot of that overwhelming feeling. Then, if by using it you stumble upon specific tasks you want to do, start looking for actions from the depository you can import. It’s really simple. And most use cases are already covered by someone else. Only then start learning how to create your own actions or custom workspaces with special settings and stuff.

1 Like