64: The Power of Habits

2 Likes

Listening now, looking forward to the new focus :wink: of the podcast. I am one of those that is not a “free agent” but still listened to the show because I found it helpful. I have a lot of autonomy at my job (and as a student) so I was able to gain a lot of helpful information but can imagine that I will find more now.

2 Likes

The intro is quite the contrast from Free Agents (not bad by any means, just very very different.

I love the show art!

1 Like

I do too! You should see the 5k wallpaper for Relay members :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, we broke about every “productivity” convention we could with the new show. I’m really happy with how the first episode turned out though!

Really enjoyed it! I’m currently in the middle of Atomic Habits

I really like the short intro. I feel like you’ve both listened to the Startup podcast with the way the intro and the ad breaks are set up, or maybe Blumberg’s advice is all over the place now. Which is good; it’s good advice!

I really enjoyed the new show. I was especially interested in the discussion about the framing of actions/habits and identity - off to buy the book now!

1 Like

Atomic Habits has got to be one of the best books I have read in a long time. This was a great way to kick off the new direction of the show, and I’m looking forward to being more active on this topic as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion of Atomic Habits. Not having read Atomic Habits, I had not heard about the idea of framing habits in terms of personal identity; that’s an interesting notion and one that I will try. So Atomic Habits will be the next book I read, along with “Thinking In Bets” (highly recommended, though perhaps off topic for focused; https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/552885/thinking-in-bets-by-annie-duke/9780735216358/).

Thanks, David (longtime MPU listener, new to Free Agents/Focused)

2 Likes

I am a relay member but I’m not sure how to access that stuff? Is it somewhere on the relay website

For me it was unfortunately not focused enough; too much talking / running length.

Will future episodes be similar? (Or shorter and more to-the-point?)

I was just reading something yesterday about framing personal change in terms of identity. I posted about it here on this twitter thread:

Looking forward to starting on this podcast later today.

I am also looking forward to reading the Atomic Habits book. For those into analog tools, Baron Fig is offering an Atomic Habits notebook in collaboration with James Clear. It’s a beautiful notebook and set up to help achieve habit change. No commercial interest but looks like a neat idea.

You were talking about streaks on the show and how breaking a streak can be devastating. I once used the app STREAKS and I found it helped me START a habit but man, if I broke a long streak I would just throw my hands up and walk away. What I found has worked for me is just putting what habit I want to start on my to do list. If I miss a day I don’t beat myself over it I just move on. Streak guilt is rough and I don’t do well with it.

BTW, my goal/theme this year is CREATE MORE.

1 Like

My goal is to be wearing pants at least 33% of the time when I answer the door.

7 Likes

I have one on order, can’t wait to see it in person!

We’re going to try and tighten it up a bit (under an hour). It will probably always be conversational though.

Our goal isn’t to deliver “3 quick lifehacks to save you an hour per day.” My guess is future episodes will probably be similar in nature to this one content-wise.

2 Likes

If you go to the membership extras page and log in, there’s a section for downloads. From there, you can click a link to the extras and download the wallpapers.