663: HomeKit Check-In

Welcome to the community. Your setup sounds great.

Let us know if you find a good solution for this.

1 Like

Have to throw in a shout out for Mysa for infrared thermostat control also. I just went through a massive research, including buying units from Cielo (the Breeze) and Sensibo - I posted in detail at Automators about this.

One thing that they got wrongā€¦ Thy Mysa is one step better than the others, and an IR blaster. It has a climate feature that monitors the temperature in the room, and will adjust the units temperature setting cooler or warmer if necessary. I use my units for heating in an extreme northern climate. In my new house, not as much, but in my previous house, the air handler was near the ceiling, and always read a higher temperature level than at the floor. The Mysa would have compensated for this, and it is a great feature!

The Breeze and Sensibo have features that will turn off the unit when the temperature hits a certain level, but when using these units, particular a high efficiency heat pump with a variable compressor, it is not good to turn them on and off, as the compressors are made to reduce and increase output - they actually use less energy than trying to come on and through maximum heat or cooling all of a sudden (and the compressors last longer as well this way) .

I can confirm the Mysa does this, as my units beep when they are receiving a command. Mysa sends them commands when I havenā€™t set anything for it, so it is definitely working, and keeps the house very comfortable. HomeKit function is great.

The Cielo was a nice unit, with a nice display and you could turn it on and off from the unit. But no HomeKit, and no open API so I couldnā€™t even make it work with homebridge. It did have a nice app thought. The Sensibo unit was HomeKit, but no controls from the unit on the wall - app or HomeKit only. It just didnā€™t feel right having to get my phone out to control it if I was right next to the unit. Yes, we have Siri with the HomePodā€¦ but sometimes it is not quite with it either.

The Mysa is the best of both worlds, and I highly recommend it!

Andā€¦ Just bought my Meross garage door opener.

One thing nobody ever talks about - I have a Moen U-Shower in my home. HomeKit compatible shower. Nothing quite like it!

More than the HomeKit compatibility though - Just having temperature and jet controls on the wall, and you donā€™t have to reach through and freeze your arm to turn on the water.

Also, if someone runs water while you are taking a shower, it will control the water temperature.

Stop @CraigW , just stop :slightly_smiling_face:
Seriously, always wanted a shower thatā€™s ā€œjust rightā€. HomeKit-motivated bathroom reno?

One other nice thing about hubs that was not mentioned is that accessories added to a hub automatically get added to Homekit. Saves a bunch of hassel!

Usually, yes! :grin: Probably 99% of the time. :+1:

Not 100% of the time, though. I just posted about this in a new thread.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Smart Switches in the UK?

I was looking in to the Caseta switches that David mentioned, but it doesnā€™t look like we can get them over here

I am also looking for the Australia version of Lutron Caseta. Unfortunately there is no 220-240V version only 110V for use in US, AFAIK. The RA2 seems to be a lot more expensive but I have not done much research on it as the use case may be quite different.

In Australia, I am setlled to use Lifx Switch but I do not think it can do dimming, relying on smart bulbs to be dimmable. I have only just ordered the Lifx Switch but have not installed it yet but the switch plate finishes look great. I have also ordered a few Lifx bulbs (on discount at Amazon at the moment), cheaper than Phillips Hue

I like the LIFX bulbs because they donā€™t need a hub to operate. Unfortunately twice weā€™ve had power cuts which have rendered half of my bulbs as ā€œNot respondingā€ and Iā€™ve had to reset them back to factory and setup again (which was a complete pain in the arse) including configuring, naming, adding to scenes and automations,

thatā€™s not great, I wonder there is any way or app that can backup the settings and restore them. May be there is a niche for a new app :joy:

Iā€™ve got one set of Aqaraā€™s switches downstairs and theyā€™ve worked flawlessly for over a year. This is in Thailand, so the same electricity as the UK (near enough).
If the hub or wifi donā€™t work, the switches still work as normal wall switches, which is great.

I will probably buy more at some point for other spots in the house.

I just bought the Aqara M2 Hub with a motion sensor and a bunch of water sensors on the most recent Amazon Prime Day sale.

@MacSparky, have you had success using the aqara motion sensor in a HomeKit automation? I have the sensor turning on a hue light if it is triggered in the am, but the HomeKit automation only works about 50% of the time. meanwhile, through the native aqara app, the notifications are rock solid.

Does anyone know if you can use the Aqara mini switches to control non Aqara accessories, e.g. Homekit bulbs from other manufacturers?

in this post, @rob mentioend that he connects everything via Homey. I am starting to look into Homey myself. Not sure this helps

Oh no, definitely not everythingā€¦

Luckily, I already had the Homey for other purposes (itā€™s rather expensive); as far as HomeKit is concerned I only use it to add some Aqara (Zigbee) door/vibration sensors.

Most of my devices are native HomeKit and I have one more device I add via Homebridge (via my own private/home-brew plugin).

sorry I misquote, but why not if you have Homey. Why not consoliate everything into one hub and use flow to control them. I thought flow is more capable than the automation in native Apple Home and Homebridge, then again, I am still discovering Homey

I think I can answer my own question. Homey does not have access to Homekit-only devices such as those by Eve Energy. Hope Matter is going to change all that

I considered that when Homey introduced Avanced Flow.

Advanced Flow is nice, but I quickly discovered that Athom uses polling for Hue motion sensor ā€œtriggersā€, with a 2 seconds interval, which is just too slow for some of my use cases (turning on lights on a staircase).

Are you referring to the Aqara buttons? If so I use one to control several Hue bulbs in our bedroom and it works great!

Thatā€™s one of the sensors I was looking at.